PDA

View Full Version : Woodcock with my VHE

Tom Roller
01-07-2011, 10:00 AM
Down here in the south, our season is just starting.

Good numbers of woodcock so far this year - but can always change in a notice. Quail - tougher than normal this year. Meaning? Darn near impossible.

http://www.waterdogguideservice.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2010/12/16104.jpg

http://www.waterdogguideservice.com/blog/wp-content/uploads/2011/01/16105.jpg

James Brown
01-07-2011, 10:24 AM
Nice,long leaf pines, wire grass; looks like South Georgia, Norman Park, Sylvester, Albany ??
James

Dean Romig
01-07-2011, 10:25 AM
Woodcock saved my season in Vermont this year. Grouse numbers were way down due to predation in my opinion. Thank God for them "little russet fellers". Save some for us "yankees" to enjoy next October. You could pretend to miss a lot of your shots at woodcock and that would help to insure a good flight back up here in the spring.

Tell us about that pretty little VHE if you will and your beautiful setter too.

Tom Roller
01-07-2011, 01:27 PM
Don't worry about the WC - they're in good hands.....of probably all 10 people that hunt them in NC. In the quail glory days it was standard to whip your dog for pointing a doodle. My family has a thing for the little guys going back 4 generations - Im just carrying on the tradition.

It's actually SE North Carolina - I hit some pines at the end of the day to look for a covey but our summer drought hurt our already paltry numbers. We have a fair amount of second-growth longleaf in this part of the state that still gets burned from time to time. But to me there is just about nothing prettier than longleaf pine and I would happily go for a walk any day under the canopy. Armed or unarmed. Quail or no quail.

My VHE is a 1925 20ga - not a family piece but one I picked up after a long search. Someone before me lengthened the chambers and opened the chokes (the later of which I do not mind) but she displays a wonderful patina of use right down to the almost, but not quite, too-worn checkering that I have little desire to have restored. To me her culmination of near 90yrs of use has made her into a beautiful work of art and she begs to be hunted. I about always oblige.

phil anderson
01-09-2011, 03:41 PM
quail hunting is not so good in okla. this year but i keep going with my VHE 16,and of course my britt. been hunting for 50 years now and love it. you guys keep it up . "treat a gun like you would a fine woman" PA

John R. Richards
01-17-2011, 06:04 PM
Tom:

Think SNIPE in the Altamaha area next month. Your 20 would be perfect.

Kenny Graft
01-20-2011, 07:09 AM
How bad are the snakes down in that part of NC? I had one visit ther in july or august several years ago...during your deer season? Hunters told of many ratler strikes in the swamp areas they bow hunted. SXS ohio...(-:

Tom Roller
01-20-2011, 07:57 AM
Actually, they're pretty bad in the summer and early fall. I've had several close-up encounters with rattlers during bow season in september and almost stepped on a giant moccasin during turkey season. I usually leave them be, take a cell phone picture and show friends and other hunters. I do find that is the best way to keep other hunters out of my favorite areas - tell lots of snake stories!

We have found a few lethargic snakes during bird season but we've had worse close calls with angry raccoons, nutria, a wounded opossum and, baited leg-hold traps and even a couple foxes in said traps (trapping is almost too alive and well in the south). I fear a cornered bobcat about as much as anything.