PDA

View Full Version : 28 Gauge Winchester/Parker Reproduction

Graham Mason
08-01-2009, 10:59 AM
Here of late I have been reading a little about the 28 gauge Winchester/Parker reproductions.

Just wondering what the Parker fans thought of them?From what I understand the parts would interchange with a real Parker.Is this correct?

When were these 28 gauge shotguns produced and how many were manufactured?

Any other information would be of interest.

Dave Suponski
08-01-2009, 04:11 PM
Mr. Mason,I and many others here think very highly of the Parker Repro. I own and shoot a 28ga. 26" gun with pistol grip and single trigger(wish it was a double trigger)They are a well built and are becoming very collectible and are growing in value.

Greg Baehman
08-01-2009, 05:12 PM
It has been reported that there were 4,203 28-ga. DHE's produced.

I have what I believe is a complete collection of Parker Reproduction brochures, in some of these brochures it states that "all parts are interchangable with the originals" and in a couple of other brochures it states that "most parts are interchangable with the originals".

Joe Bernfeld
08-01-2009, 06:08 PM
I believe all Parker Repros were made from around 1983 to 1988. They made 28, 20 and 12 gauge guns, in 1, 2 and even a few 3 bbl sets, with lots of options (bbl length, chokes, grip, type of forend and single or double triggers), even some 20/16 ga 2 bbl sets in DHE, BHE and A-1 Special grades. In some ways they are superior to original Parkers, like modern stock dimensions, modern steel, many had fabulous wood, steel shot compatible and of course, less expensive. But, alas, less hand fitting and finishing. They even came with a fine Emmebi leather hard case with a canvas cover and snap caps.
Joe

Graham Mason
08-01-2009, 10:42 PM
Mr. Mason,I and many others here think very highly of the Parker Repro. I own and shoot a 28ga. 26" gun with pistol grip and single trigger(wish it was a double trigger)They are a well built and are becoming very collectible and are growing in value.

Dave,just wondering why you would like the double trigger better than the single trigger on your Winchester/Parker 28 gauge?Did they have trouble with the single trigger?

Dave Suponski
08-01-2009, 11:35 PM
Mr Mason,Although the single trigger in my Repro has been completely trouble free so far I like the versatility of a double trigger gun. Single triggers in a double gun can be troublesome if they get out of wack.There are only a few gunsmiths that fully understand the workings of a Parker single trigger.

There is no simpler trigger mechanism than a double trigger....and simple is good :)

Graham Mason
08-02-2009, 09:35 AM
Mr Mason,Although the single trigger in my Repro has been completely trouble free so far I like the versatility of a double trigger gun. Single triggers in a double gun can be troublesome if they get out of wack.There are only a few gunsmiths that fully understand the workings of a Parker single trigger.

There is no simpler trigger mechanism than a double trigger....and simple is good :)

Thank-you for the reply,Dave.

I have two 28 gauge double shotguns.One is an AYA with double triggers and the other is a Winchester Model 23 with a single trigger.Have not had any trouble with either of them.Having said that I must add that the Winchester Model 23 has seen little use while the AYA has seen a lot of use.

I like the double triggers, the only time I would like to have the single trigger is when hunting in the winter when wearing heavy gloves or mittens.At that time I find the single trigger a little easier to use.:)

Graham Mason
08-02-2009, 09:41 AM
Just wondering about the serial numbers on the 28 gauge Winchester Parker shotguns.It is my understanding that the 28 gauge shotguns serial numbers started with 28.Is this correct?

Also what about the two barrel sets,how did the serial numbers go for them?Did they start 2028 for example for a 2 barrel set of 20 gauge and 28 gauge barrels?

Kenny Graft
08-02-2009, 10:03 AM
All factory production info has been lost...We think from previos interveiws with Jack Skues that 3500 28ga. guns were made in all the grades. Double trigger guns are scarce in the market...1/2 to 3/4 of the production was single trigger models. The folks who own the DT guns are not selling them very often and way less come availible for sale. No there is nothing defective in the making of the SST system, most reported troubles trace back to need of a good cleaning or sear ajustment at worst. Most parts will interchange....I have been told the ejector system was up graded or improved??? Plan to pay 4K for an average 28ga. repro 26" ic/mod SST , 5-6K for DT, beaver tail option or DT-28" barrels set and 6-7K up for a scarce DT two barrel set. I realy like shooting them! The future is bright for the repro's, prices will continue up. Anyone wanting one needs to act....The big boys keep asking more and more $$$$ with each listing......Cabela's now has a 20 set listed at 8K 6-6500.00 was the norm for a set like it I thought! Game Fair has a nice .28 listed Dt-PG-BTF 26" ic/mod...sweet! thanks all, Kenny Graft SXS ohio

Bill Murphy
08-02-2009, 10:44 AM
G., the 28 serial numbers began with a "28", whether a one barrel set or a two barrel set. There are no 20-28 sets. The 28 was built on the 00 frame and the 20 was built on the 0 frame. They do not fit back and forth. The 16-20 set was made from a 20 gauge gun and the serial number begins with a "20". The 28 inch barrel gun is hard to find for sale and sells for more than the 26 inch barrel gun. For future collector appreciation, the best buy is a two barrel set that includes a 26 and a 28 inch barrel set.

Graham Mason
08-02-2009, 12:20 PM
G., the 28 serial numbers began with a "28", whether a one barrel set or a two barrel set. There are no 20-28 sets. The 28 was built on the 00 frame and the 20 was built on the 0 frame. They do not fit back and forth. The 16-20 set was made from a 20 gauge gun and the serial number begins with a "20". The 28 inch barrel gun is hard to find for sale and sells for more than the 26 inch barrel gun. For future collector appreciation, the best buy is a two barrel set that includes a 26 and a 28 inch barrel set.

Thank-you for the reply,Bill.

From what I understand there was a Winchester Parker DHE small gauge combo,with 28 gauge and .410 barrels.I will assume that the serial numbers for these shotguns began with 28 as well.

In a book that I started reading today there is a section about the Winchester Parker.There is a picture of a Winchester Parker 28 gauge that has a serial number of 28-4037.If the serial numbers started at 1 this would seem to indicate more than 3500 28 gauge shotguns being produced.Does anyone know what serial number the 28 gauge Winchester Parker shotguns started with?

The book also states that DHE,BHE and A-1 Special grades were listed for the 28 gauge.The last two grades were offered between 1987 and 1989.Any thoughts on this?

Joe Bernfeld
08-02-2009, 11:54 PM
Sounds right to me. I found my January/February, 1990 issue of Shooting Sportsman magazine, in which Reagent Chemical and Research (owners of the company; Winchester was contracted to make the guns at Olin-Kodensha in Japan) advertised that the guns were discontinued as of December, 1989. They claimed to have many unsold guns, as well as spare parts and extra bbls to last for years. Alas, a flood at the warehouse damaged the spare parts which were then never sold (liability?). There were, however, many closeout guns which sold for less than MSRP right after the company closed. Great bargains; I wish I had bought a few :banghead:. After 20 years, the guns have barely doubled in value, which is quite a bargain considering inflation and how much some other guns have gone up in value in the same time! And by the way G., FYI, they are more commonly referred to as Parker Reproductions (or Repros), not Winchester Parkers.
http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=288
This might help with your serial # questions. The 20/16 ga 2 bbl sets were numbered 20-XXXX, the 28/.410 sets were numbered 28-XXXX.
By the way, I hate calling you "G". What is your first name. I believe the forum rules require your "real first and last name."
Joe

Graham Mason
08-03-2009, 05:05 PM
By the way, I hate calling you "G". What is your first name. I believe the forum rules require your "real first and last name."
Joe

Thank-you for the information,Joe.

Most everyone calls me by my last name,Mason.There are a few who call me Mace, as a nick name.

I called the reproductions Winchester Parker as I assumed there were other reproductions besides the ones made by Winchester ,I just wanted to be clear that I was not referring to those.It would appear that the Winchester ones are the only Parker reproductions ever manufactured?

Dave Suponski
08-03-2009, 05:29 PM
Mace(if I may call you that) There currently are Parker 28 gauge guns being made by CT Shotgun Mfg.Co under contract for Remington Arms. They are AAHE grade guns and a bit pricey at $50,000.
They are advertised as new Parker shotguns not reproductions.

Dean Romig
08-03-2009, 06:12 PM
Remington began a reproduction project that was soon abandoned. Someone please correct me if I'm mistaken but I think only two or three prototypes were ever completed and none were ever offered for sale by Remington.

Dave Suponski
08-03-2009, 06:30 PM
Ya Dean Remington announced in 1988 they were going to reintroduce the Parker Gun in a 20ga. AHE by 1994 the project was dead with supposedly about a half dozen guns built if memory serves...

John Dunkle
08-03-2009, 10:44 PM
Hello Mr. Mason,

As I stated in my e-mail to you - please either post or PM me your real first name.

Thank you,

John Dunkle

John Dallas
08-05-2009, 04:42 PM
When Remington was trying to reintoduce the Parker in the late 80's I believe they had one liabilty concern regarding the original Parker's failure to pass what was referred to as a "Slam Test", which I think delt with the safety system. As a result, Remington was planning on modifying the original design to pass the test (not sure if the test was an industry standard, or simply a Remington in-house requirement. Does anyone know if the Repros were modified in a similar manner?

Joe Bernfeld
08-05-2009, 06:24 PM
When Remington was trying to reintoduce the Parker in the late 80's I believe they had one liabilty concern regarding the original Parker's failure to pass what was referred to as a "Slam Test", which I think delt with the safety system. As a result, Remington was planning on modifying the original design to pass the test (not sure if the test was an industry standard, or simply a Remington in-house requirement. Does anyone know if the Repros were modified in a similar manner?

What is the "Slam Test?"
Joe

Graham Mason
08-05-2009, 06:28 PM
Seems to me that I saw at one time a new 28 gauge Remington Parker being raffled off or something in a Ruffed Grouse Society magazine.

Dave Suponski
08-05-2009, 06:38 PM
Yes Mace you did. That gun is the current gun being made by CT Shotgun for Remington.Simply a beautiful gun with a $50,000 price tag :shock:

John Dallas
08-05-2009, 07:16 PM
Joe - Not sure exactly what the "Slam Test " was, but I think it may have involved banging the butt of the gun on a hard surface to try to dislodge the hammers.

Graham Mason
08-05-2009, 07:42 PM
Yes Mace you did. That gun is the current gun being made by CT Shotgun for Remington.Simply a beautiful gun with a $50,000 price tag :shock:

Thanks for the reply,Dave.Looked around and did find the Ruffed Grouse Society Magazine with the story in it.The article was on page 36 of the April,May,June 2006 issue,titled,"RGS Offers Special Chance to Own Remington Parker AAHS 28 Gauge".

There is a nice picture of the shotgun.What a beauty!

By any chance there isn't anyone out there who could spare $50,000 for a guy who is down on his 28 gauge luck?:)

Bill Murphy
08-05-2009, 09:07 PM
One of the new AAHE Remington Parkers was displayed in the PGCA tent at the Vintagers either last year or the year before. Maybe we will be so lucky this year. Mr. Mason may be able to access the bibliography of Parker Repros that was posted on this site some time back. Can someone help him with this project?

Dean Romig
08-05-2009, 10:53 PM
For more information and more pictures of the Remington/Galazan Parker AAHE 28 ga. go to www.parkergunmakers.com

Graham Mason
08-06-2009, 07:08 PM
For more information and more pictures of the Remington/Galazan Parker AAHE 28 ga. go to www.parkergunmakers.com

Very interesting site.Thanks for posting.

Bruce Day
08-11-2009, 03:56 PM
About 5-6 years ago, the PGCA obtained from Remington and sold through bids one of the 20ga AHE guns made by Remington in the 1980's. A member in California bought the gun. It was a nicely made piece and was exhibited at meetings. I am not aware that it has been publicly shown since purchase. See the Parker Pages at the time for photos and description.

What you refer to as a "slam" test was not. It was more accurately a "drop" test where the gun was dropped butt first, safety off, from chest high distance above a hard surface. I understand sometimes the gun could be made to fire. The Parker Repros and the new Remington Parker AAHE 28ga use the original Parker double trigger and single trigger( late variation) design. I understand that present Remington management concludes that the Parker trigger mechanism is sufficiently safe. As an aside, the lighter the pounds pull, the more likely a gun is to fire with the drop test, so we have production 870's and others with 5 lb trigger pulls. What's a Ruger? 6lbs? When you want a Parker with standard trigger pulls of 3lbs front, 3 1/2lbs rear, it is more likely to discharge when dropped safety off.

I have shot both the 28ga Parker Repro and the 28ga Remington( CT Mfg) Parker AAHE. The AAHE seemed somewhat more solid feeling because there was less barrel and opening lever vibration. The difference was small and I was looking to find a difference. Both are nice guns and differences in use are likely not noticeable to most people. I understand there is up to a year's wait on a new AAHE 28ga so if you are interested, you might want to get your name on the list as soon as possible to be in time for hunting season 2010.