PDA

View Full Version : Would you believe I inherited a Parker?

BrianReam
01-04-2011, 11:04 PM
Shocking - never happens, I know.
Seems like this is the place to start.

Name is Brian Ream, live near Boston MA.

A quick summary: It's a VH 12ga S/N 1539xx (1910) barrels are Vulcan steel. Hammerless no ejectors.

Condition: Probably "Average" - best I can describe all the steel it's "Patina'd" - certainly really there's none of the heat-treating color I've seen some have online. Scrollwork is there, but seems "shallow"
Wood almost seems like it might have been oil?? Seems like maybe there is some left in parts - it's even wear certainly nothing with "chips" of finish. The checking of course is worn and the wood has darkened.

It was passed down and I do know it has some "somewhat" interesting history as it was owned by Admiral Ed "Old Dutch" Kalbfus - 2 time Commandant of the Naval War College and member of the Pearl Harbor board of inquiry. There's a "shield" embedded in the bottom of the stock - I've been told this represents it's a "Navy" gun? If there was anything on that shield it's long worn away. Looks like an old NYPD badge shape actually.

Anyway - I was planning to probably take it to a gunsmith - have it checked out, maybe refinished as possible - especially the stock. I don't hold expectations it's got great intrinsic value. Hoping it's able to be used.
Gunsmith locally recommended is Dave Santurri he said he's "Seen" parkers..

First question (probably of many to come) - anything to look for / ask of gunsmith?

Dean Romig
01-05-2011, 06:09 AM
Hi Brian and Welcome to the PGCA website and forum.

The way you describe the gun as having "scrollwork" (generally in reference to the engraving on the steel frame) leads one to wonder if the gun might be a higher grade than the "Vulcan Steel" barrels might indicate. If a higher grade, it may have originally had Damascus barrels and later replaced by fluid steel, the Vulcan Steel barrels being the least expensive of the choices.
I live in Andover and we could meet somewhere to look your Parker over. The PGCA has a set-up at the East Coast Fine Arms Show in Greenwich, CT this weekend. We'll have a bunch of Parkers on display and would enjoy talking with you (and signing you up as a PGCA Member) at our table. The PGCA is not the only reason to attend this show as there are hundreds of other fine guns on display and for sale at this show.
Call me... 978-621-9338

Dean

BrianReam
01-05-2011, 07:48 AM
Hi, Dean
Are you in Andover MA or Andover CT? I'll give serious thought to the show, though Greenwich is a bit of a drive.

I may have overstated "scrollwork" - I've attached a picture I hope comes through.
The serial # on the barrels - the "tang" - I didn't have time to look up the proper name sorry - does match the receiver for whatever that's worth...
- Brian

Bill Murphy
01-05-2011, 08:21 AM
The "badge" on the stock is a feature of just about every VH grade Parker ever made. Tell your gunsmith that has "seen" a Parker that he is one of many and you will leave your gun as is for now.

Dean Romig
01-05-2011, 08:53 AM
Right Brian, your Parker is a VH and it has the correct barrels for the grade. The shield you describe, as Bill states, is the standard for grades 0, 1, and 2 Parkers.

I live in Andover, MA

BrianReam
01-05-2011, 09:11 AM
Bill - that does kind of line up with my gut feeling. This gunsmith did come recommended from multiple people but I didn't get warm fuzzy feelings on the phone.
I'll have to see if Dean still wants to take a look at my VH.

Dean Romig
01-05-2011, 09:31 AM
Where do you live Brian?

BrianReam
01-05-2011, 09:34 AM
I'm in Holliston MA.

Russ Jackson
01-05-2011, 10:00 AM
The "badge" on the stock is a feature of just about every VH grade Parker ever made. Tell your gunsmith that has "seen" a Parker that he is one of many and you will leave your gun as is for now.

Bill ,Best advice any one new to these guns could get !!!!!!!!!!!!! Man there sure are alot of butchered guns out there because some one thought they knew what they were doing ! Russ

Bill Murphy
01-05-2011, 12:26 PM
This will be a wonderful gun to use in its present condition. Refinished, a nice old VH is like a "turd on a collard leaf". Tomorrow, I'll be shooting tame mallards with a VH that could be your gun's twin sister, complete with rust and tarnish. If your gun needs any mechanical fixing, let us know.

Mike McKinney
01-05-2011, 07:44 PM
Brian,
Visit the show in Greenwich if you can. You can put some faces with these names and get the best info available besides seeing lots of nice guns, it will be a trip you won't regret.
Mike

BrianReam
01-05-2011, 11:10 PM
Well, Bill - I don't think this one has any rust. ;) But I do want to make sure it's safe to shoot.
I'll try to see about Greenwich. Wife isn't going to like this one...