PDA

View Full Version : 1930 SB SBT

Mike Franzen
11-30-2020, 10:58 AM
Here’s a few pics of the newest member of the gang. Serial number 232142 has a 32” bbl, high dimensions and breaks targets. Took her out to the club for a first shoot and broke 47 out of 50. A keeper for sure!

Mike Franzen
11-30-2020, 11:01 AM
A few more

Reggie Bishop
11-30-2020, 11:01 AM
Beautiful Mike!

Randy G Roberts
11-30-2020, 11:49 AM
Nice. It appears that fella from GA that you been hangin around is rubbing off just a bit. :)

Bill Murphy
11-30-2020, 12:23 PM
It looks like it could possibly be a Del Grego Runge upgrade. Not a bad thing, but better get a letter. However, the age coloring on the wood around the action and trigger guard would indicate an original B. What a nice find.

Mike Franzen
11-30-2020, 01:12 PM
Nice. It appears that fella from GA that you been hangin around is rubbing off just a bit. :)

My mother warned me!

Mike Franzen
11-30-2020, 01:12 PM
Bill I have a letter. I’ll post in a bit.

J. Scott Hanes
11-30-2020, 02:14 PM
Mr. Franzen,
Beautiful Parker! Jealousy tends to creep in. Is there a history of ownership you know of that you would care to share. I am fascinated about the many former trapshooters who may have come in contact with this example or those who shot it.

Dean Romig
11-30-2020, 02:18 PM
That’s definitely a keeper Mike!!

Does that “All In” deck represent your layout to acquire it?

Mike Franzen
11-30-2020, 02:44 PM
That’s definitely a keeper Mike!!

Does that “All In” deck represent your layout to acquire it?

Well I did go all in in the sense I really wanted the gun. Unfortunately I don’t have any history of ownership relating to famous trap shooters. I bought the gun from one of our members who owned it for many years.

John Davis
11-30-2020, 02:50 PM
We're going to give all those P, K and CG guns a run for their money at the 2021 Grand American.

J. Scott Hanes
11-30-2020, 03:09 PM
Lord willing, I will be in Sparta next August. Hope to meet both of you fellows if you go. But I will be shooting a K-gun! :)

Scott Hanes

JAMES HALL
11-30-2020, 03:23 PM
Don't remember serial no. but that looks a lot like Kirby's SB.

Mills Morrison
11-30-2020, 04:02 PM
I love my Fred Gilbert SBT, but ironically I was looking for a run of the mill one with no provenance or originality that Harry could use for Junior trap competitions.

John Davis
11-30-2020, 04:07 PM
I wouldn’t let the provenance get in the way.

Mills Morrison
11-30-2020, 04:31 PM
Harry really likes a hammer gun that may have belonged to W. R. Crosby. 1890 gun that has "Crosby" noted in the records. I think we determined it was a bit early for Crosby but who knows. Harry was deadly on trap with it and the Gilbert gun was a bit cumbersome for him

Mike Franzen
11-30-2020, 09:34 PM
So the letter states the gun left the factory as a B grade. The stock has the same dimensions as in the letter but there is no mention of the Monte Carlo. Anyone care to opine on the originality of the wood?

Dean Romig
11-30-2020, 09:44 PM
The fluting at the nose of the comb is ‘trademark’ DelGrego if I may opine.

Joe Wood
11-30-2020, 10:01 PM
Mike bought the gun from me. A couple years ago I sent a whole packet of photos to DelGrego and they replied they had not worked on the gun. Also, and I don’t think I remembered to tell Mike this, but as I remember the feller I bought the gun from many years ago said the gold inlay on the grip cap at one time had three fancy initials on it but he had them removed thinking he would have his own initials engraved there but didn’t. Travesty! Now it will always remain a mystery.

Dean Romig
11-30-2020, 10:08 PM
My next question then is are there any Remington codes on the barrel flats? DelGrego’s (or whomever made stocks for him) stockmaking style was learned IMO during their tenure at Remington.

Bill Murphy
12-01-2020, 09:38 AM
I saw the same things in this gun that Dean did. The initials on the gold grip cap that are no longer there could have been SG. I assume the previous owner did not remember what the initials were.

Mike Franzen
12-01-2020, 10:06 AM
I saw the same things in this gun that Dean did. The initials on the gold grip cap that are no longer there could have been SG. I assume the previous owner did not remember what the initials were.

See Joe Woods post on page 2 of this thread. Thanks for your input.

Mike Franzen
12-01-2020, 10:41 AM
A few more pics.

Dean Romig
12-01-2020, 11:17 AM
The lack of any telltale Remington codes seems to rule out the stock and cyanide colors having been done at Remington...

A very finely done SB in any case.

John Davis
12-01-2020, 11:19 AM
Don't know how good DelGrego's records are but according to Joe, they say they never worked on this gun. My understanding is if it was a Shelly Gitman gun, DelGrego would have done the work.

John Davis
12-01-2020, 11:25 AM
It's a gorgeous gun, fits the new owner like a glove and he's deadly on targets with it. Sounds absolutely perfect to me.

Joe Wood
12-01-2020, 12:27 PM
Yes, I also wondered how complete their records are. Especially since Larry is gone and my guess is the work was done quite a long while ago. But surely with their experience they can look at a gun and tell if it has any trademark hints of DelGrego work.

I have kicked around whether this is the original stock or not ever since I bought it and have never arrived at a conclusion. What keeps bringing me back to original is the checkering is just so "Parkerish", perfectly done and the mullered borders are just right when I compared it to the work on my other Parkers. If Parker didn't do it then someone very familiar with Parkers and with the skill did it. And the stock measurements at comb and heel are nearly exactly what the Parker letter specifies....though there is the Monte Carlo comb, not in the letter. Humm....

Unfortunately, the wood under the triggerguard tang has been roughly cut out as though someone with little skill was trying to lower the tang to make it flush with the wood. So, if there was a serial number there it is long gone.

Also, the bore appears to be totally factory, with a little light frosting and a few very small pits. If DelGrego had done the work wouldn't they have lightly polished the bore?

Bill Murphy
12-02-2020, 08:09 AM
Did the Del Gregos actually see the gun or did they see pictures. I'm with Dean. The gun looks very Del Gregoish. The trigger guard inletting looks like it was fooled with after the gun was stocked. Del Gregos records are not in serial number order so they are hard to search unless you have a suspicion about the gun's owner.

George Davis
12-02-2020, 09:28 AM
Mike, it sounds like you bought this gun as a "shooter" and according to John it fits you like a glove. Go crush clays and who cares if it been redone and who worked on this Parker. SBT were made for shooting!!!!

Joe Wood
12-02-2020, 10:49 AM
I’m with George, it is a shooter. But still I was curious who and what was done to it. Bill, they only saw the photos....remember I’m in the Texas Panhandle.

Mills Morrison
12-02-2020, 10:53 AM
People seem to dislike Del Grego restored Parkers, but they were the premier Parker gunsmith for a long time. Original condition is always preferable, but a restoration by a top smith is a plus in my book

Dean Romig
12-02-2020, 02:57 PM
People seem to dislike Del Grego restored Parkers, but they were the premier Parker gunsmith for a long time. Original condition is always preferable, but a restoration by a top smith is a plus in my book

I hope nothing I said was any indication that I dislike DelGrego restored Parkers...

Mills Morrison
12-02-2020, 03:06 PM
Not directed at you Dean. It is just something I have noticed. Since my first and favorite Parker is a Del Grego restoration, I kind of have a special place for them.

Daryl Corona
12-02-2020, 07:17 PM
Same here Mills. It was 1971 and I still have it. I think I'll use it tomorrow chasing quail.

Mike Franzen
12-02-2020, 10:47 PM
Mike, it sounds like you bought this gun as a "shooter" and according to John it fits you like a glove. Go crush clays and who cares if it been redone and who worked on this Parker. SBT were made for shooting!!!!

I don’t want anyone to think I am anything but happy to be the latest caretaker of this Parker. There were no surprises when I opened the Fort Knox like case it was shipped in. I bought the gun mainly because the stock dimensions are ideal for me and I thought I could probably shoot it well. Joe graciously allowed me take it and try it before I committed. As soon as I shouldered the gun I was “All In”. The fact it’s a B grade and looks gorgeous didn’t hurt either. I’m mainly a hunter and target shooter that fell in love with Parker’s. My collection, if viewed, would not be considered the finest collection of Parker’s the world has ever seen. But, like most of us, they have a special place in my heart.

Mike Franzen
12-02-2020, 10:52 PM
Did the Del Gregos actually see the gun or did they see pictures. I'm with Dean. The gun looks very Del Gregoish. The trigger guard inletting looks like it was fooled with after the gun was stocked. Del Gregos records are not in serial number order so they are hard to search unless you have a suspicion about the gun's owner.

When I first saw the gun metal in person I was 97% sure it was a Del Grego job. I have a SC that was definitely redone by them and the colors are the same. They hold up to wear very well from what I can tell.

Mills Morrison
12-03-2020, 10:04 AM
My Del Grego Trojan 20 might become Harry's Forest City Juniors gun. At least at first. He is dead set on using a Parker

Bill Murphy
12-03-2020, 10:34 AM
Harry needs a full size SC if the league is a trap only league.

Mills Morrison
12-03-2020, 10:39 AM
Still holding out hope he can do trap with a Parker SBT

Mills Morrison
12-03-2020, 10:46 AM
Should have jumped on Brian Hornacek's SBT, but there will be more.

Mike Koneski
12-03-2020, 01:44 PM
Should have jumped on Brian Hornacek's SBT, but there will be more.

I NEED ONE!!!! Not that I shoot trap, but I always wanted a nice shooter SBT. They are just a very cool design.

Dave Noreen
12-22-2020, 09:15 PM
I have absolutely no dog in this fight. I do have a friend here in the Inland Northwest who is a big Winchester collector and also has some very nice Parkers. He will have nothing to do with a Delgregoed Parker or a Kusmit engraved Winchester. According to him in both cases "der hacks."

Tom Flanigan
02-08-2021, 11:29 AM
The only Del Grego gun I own is the Davis / Gitman SC. The work is well done but for some reason the stocks were finished with some sort of poly. I removed the poly and refinished the stocks with oil. The nice figure shows up better now. I don't know if the Del Grego's finished with poly in general, or if Shelly Gitman gave them instructions to finish it this way. Regardless, its a wonderful gun and does look better with an oil finish.

Tom Flanigan
02-08-2021, 11:35 AM
One more point, the pad put on the gun was a white line pad with the Del Grego name on it. I took the pad off and fitted a silvers pad which looks more period.

John Davis
02-08-2021, 12:16 PM
I'm really glad the Gitman SC went to such a great home. I'm also humbled to have my name associated with it.

Bill Murphy
02-08-2021, 03:29 PM
No criticism of my friend Tom Flanigan, but Shelly Gitman and Larry Del Grego Senior cooperated on dozens of guns that are not meant to be anything other than what they are, redone and refinished Parkers, worked on by original Parker employees. In my opinion, it is a waste of time and money to recolor them in a more original style, oil finish the wood, and trash the Del Grego Pachmayr pads to replace them with Silver pads. They are what they are and to change them is to make them Reproduction Del Grego Parkers. Some day, a Del Grego Parker will be sought after, like some are now.
You will never make them original Meriden Parkers, no matter how hard you try.

Tom Flanigan
02-08-2021, 03:53 PM
I agree with everything you said Bill. But I have a thing about poly and white line pads on a Parker. I knew when I did it that I was removing "original" Del Grego touches. But I decided to do it as soon as I had the gun in hand before even shooting it. It’s just a personal thing. I used oil and didn’t go with the French polish that most original Parkers had. Regardless, it’s a wonderful gun and has become one of my favorite Parkers. It fits me and I shoot it well and it is a beautiful looking gun.

Bill Murphy
02-09-2021, 09:09 AM
Tom, you should be able to kill a bobwhite at 70 yards with 1 1/8 ounces of #6. I still remember the day you and I were following our pups and a small covey got up when we least expected it. I missed with my first barrel and made a desperation shot at about 50 or 55 yards as my bird disappeared around a brush pile. We were about to continue our hunt when one of our pups emerged from the brush with a bobwhite in his or her mouth. It was the full choke barrel of my little 26" VH 28 gauge. At 75, memories like that are what makes this lifestyle what it is.

Mills Morrison
02-09-2021, 09:43 AM
My SBT has a non-original / non-authentic pad but I am going to live with it for the time being. It originally had a pad, so may look for one of the same brand as original

Tom Flanigan
02-09-2021, 10:53 AM
I well remember that incident Bill. Hunting with you was a real treat. I have very fond memories of those times. I really have to get around more and go to some events where you, Kevin and others show up. Even though Kevin went to the dark side with Fox’s and sold grandma’s gun, I can’t hold it against him. I actually love the Fox guns although I’ve sold all I had because they weren’t Parkers. I had a beautiful little high condition 20 bore CE that I wish I hadn’t sold. It had factory 25” barrels with both being full choke. A rare little gun.

I remember your 28 bore Parker. If I recall correctly, you bought that gun when you were a kid. I am amazed at what the 28 bore will do with ¾ oz. of shot. I once shot a 24 at the 27 yard line with the full choke barrel of my Holland shooting low gun. I also took a lot of short range mallards with it in Saskatchewan using 7 1/2s back in the lead days.

Except for my trips out West, I don’t stray far from Pawling anymore. I need to get around more.

Mike Franzen
02-15-2021, 10:03 PM
I'm really glad the Gitman SC went to such a great home. I'm also humbled to have my name associated with it.

And you get first billing!

Phil Yearout
02-16-2021, 12:32 PM
My SBT has a non-original / non-authentic pad but I am going to live with it for the time being. It originally had a pad, so may look for one of the same brand as original

Mine too, along with a plexiglass spacer that is oh so 1960. Both are still on the gun and probably not going anywhere.

Bill Murphy
02-16-2021, 03:33 PM
I also have a Parker single with a plexiglass spacer.

Gary Carmichael Sr
02-18-2021, 12:36 PM
Nice Mike! gary

Tom Flanigan
02-18-2021, 01:01 PM
And you get first billing!

First billing for sure. I am very grateful for that gun.

Bill Murphy
03-26-2021, 10:20 AM
Shelly Gitman owned a couple of Parkers with no Del Grego refinish work or white line pads. They were called "Invincibles".

Dave Noreen
03-26-2021, 11:13 AM
A proper vintage SBT needs a Morgan Pad!!

Chuck Bishop
03-26-2021, 11:16 AM
Shame on you Dave:nono:

Dave Noreen
03-26-2021, 01:16 PM
When I got my Fox SBT back in 1991, I bought three Silvers pads from an old English gunsmith that was in Oklahoma with the intention of putting one on the SBT. The pad's are now on my Father's VH, my SPE-Grade Skeet & Upland Game Gun & my 1 weight barrel Sterlingworth ejector pin gun. The SBT still has the Morgan.

Mike Franzen
04-02-2021, 10:44 PM
How about a picture of the beauty Dave?

Randy Davis
01-10-2022, 10:03 AM
Ad from 1930 publication, Parker SC Single Barrel Trap $160...

Trap3

Dean Romig
01-10-2022, 10:55 AM
And it doesn’t have the grooved forend as shown in earlier ads.

CraigThompson
01-10-2022, 11:23 AM
Hmmmm this is kinda a contagious disease ! I blame a Northern Neck of VA collector for starting me wanting one after he handed me a 34” SC he had recently acquired . Now a little over a year latter I have a pair of 32” SC’s . All three of those guns I might add came from a nice country lawyer in Vienna GA :rolleyes::rotf: