PDA

View Full Version : Gambels with my "new" GHE 20

Fred Lowe
01-04-2011, 03:50 PM
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii291/9shot/th_FredsCamera2010_12_06088.jpg Well I have finally figured out how to put up a couple pictures of an earlier trip this fall in Arizona. I loaded some lower pressure shells and have been loving this GHE 20. I walk alot slower with this gun than my regular 28 Repro. It is a lively little thing.

My thanks to Dean for the encouragement and advice on the purchase.

I'm thinking it may have been decades since she was last shot.
http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii291/9shot/th_FredsCamera2010_12_06086.jpg

Fred Lowe
01-04-2011, 03:55 PM
Guess that didn't work too well.............back to the drawing board:banghead:

Wait.... no help from the kids!

scott kittredge
01-04-2011, 04:17 PM
more about the gun :corn:

Larry Frey
01-04-2011, 05:32 PM
Nice pics Fred. Those barrels look like they are 30 inches long.

Fred Lowe
01-04-2011, 07:34 PM
Larry,
The barrels are actually 28". The screws on the gun look good to me, I don't believe it has been disassembled.
A former owner did varnish the stock and forearm getting some varish on the metal. I have done nothing to the gun and likely won't myself.
I found Richards post on cleaning an old gun to be a real eye opener.
The butt plate has what looks to be a chip out of it on the toe and an old repair. At some point I will look into these issues but would like to use it some. I took it out Saturday to one of the few reasonably safe chukar hills that I know and shot 2 birds over points with it. I will likely use it for Huns and Gambels. It probably wont see chukar hills again.
I have taken quite a few pictures now, as you can see I'm no photogragher. I will put them up if there is interest. Here or in the general discussions?
Fred

Dave Suponski
01-04-2011, 08:30 PM
Looks to be a great gun Fred....You did well...:)

Fred Lowe
01-04-2011, 09:20 PM
Thanks Dave. As I said I wouldn't have had the confidence to purchase without encouragement from Dean.

Can anyone explain to me how a 20 ga like this feels SO different from any of the 20 Repro's that I've owned or swung. I have only kept one double trigger 20 Repro because they never compared to the 28's and now this gun.

Also, any recommendations on what to do with this gun. Should I have it professionally cleaned before shooting it much more. What are recommendations for loads? I load everything myself, what would the limits be on a gun like this? I'm not looking to push them. What to do with the wood- leave it alone or consider having it refinished?

Jeff Kuss
01-04-2011, 09:41 PM
Fred,
It looks like a nice honest gun. I would shoot it as is. If you have problems then I would have the gun cleaned internally.
Jeff

Paul Ehlers
01-04-2011, 10:07 PM
If this was my gun. The only thing I would do besides a good cleaning. Would be to do something with the butt plate. Not for cosmetics, but for protection of the wood. The way that plate is chipped it sure leaves the toe of your stock exposed to damage & possibly splitting the end of the wood off.

Maybe someone like Brad Bachelder could fit it with a re-pop plate that would fit like the original. Then when you want, you could put the original back on when needed. If you could shoot it with a little longer LOP, maybe a slip-on pad like a galco could potect it. Just make sure you remove it when your not using the gun.

The rest of the gun looks like a great shooter and you should have years of good times together!
Paul

Dean Romig
01-04-2011, 10:16 PM
If it were mine Fred, I would enjoy it as it is. Take into account all the things that are being said about devalueing one of these in nice shape like yours by cosmetically "enhancing" its appearance. It has nice subtle character just like it is. Maybe a buttplate replacement sometime in it's future.... or maybe not.

Fred Lowe
01-05-2011, 10:46 AM
Thanks for the comments, I'm good with it just the way it is. As far as the butt plate Paul, the LOP is short, about 13 1/2". I have purchased a Pachmayr slip on(ugly as sin)that brings the LOP to 14 1/2" which is great, and protects the stock. I only have it on for shooting. I will look for a better leather one when I can track down a good source.

I do appreciate the advice and watch this site daily trying to learn more from the many knowledgeable Parker men.

I'm going to post photos of a hammergun that was my wifes great grandfathers later. I fear that is will only eaver be a wallhanger at this point. But has some fun family(tales) history?[/I]http://i267.photobucket.com/albums/ii291/9shot/FredsCamera2010_12_06085.jpg?1294242073