PDA

View Full Version : My Parker questions

Kirk Pfeffer
01-04-2011, 12:16 AM
Hi all,
I would like to show you my Parker and get some advice from you. It's a 12 Ga. VH manufactured in 1907. This is a gun that I inherited from my Father and I know it belonged to my Grandfather and I believe my Great Grandfather. One of the last things my Father said to me was that no matter what I wasn't to sell any of his guns. While they are all special to me, this has always been one of my favorites. I think that the last time I shot it was 10 or more years ago and then put it in storage.

As can be seen from the pictures, this gun has seen a LOT of use. The forend almost looks like it's been worn down. This may not be possible but it's worn enough that all the checkering is gone. The stock has some issues with what I think is a significant crack. I'm not sure if this is something that can be fixed or not. I guess my goal is to be able to use this gun again. My impression is that since it's a VH and in the shape that it is, working on it won't hurt the value (unless I really screw it up) which I don't intend to let happen. My thought would be to replace the stock and forend and maybe refinish the barrel but leave the receiver alone.

There's a lot of expertise on this forum so I look forward to your input.
Thanks,
Kirk

Kirk Pfeffer
01-04-2011, 12:24 AM
Some additional pictures

Harry Collins
01-04-2011, 07:07 AM
Kirk,

My thought is to have the stock repaired, but not re checkered. I would leave the Parker alone as far as anything else goes. All the wear this Parker recieved was from the hands of four generations of your family. That, as far as I am concerned, is something to be proud of. This is a picture of my fathers Parker. He found it under the Christmas Tree and shot the snot out of it for about 70 years. I would do nothing to hid his use of the gun and like your Parker the checkering is for the most part worn off.

Kindest, Harry

Robin Lewis
01-04-2011, 08:08 AM
I agree, the stock should be fixed rather than replaced. There are people that can fix it and make it strong again and do it so that the fix is hard to find.

Kirk Pfeffer
01-04-2011, 12:29 PM
Harry and Robin,
I appreciate your responses to this. What you suggested sounds like a reasonable approach. I've seen some repairs on this forum and they were amazing. I've also seen a post on how to perform this repair but not too sure I would want to tackle it. I'm located in Council Bluffs, IA. Can you recommend someone that I could contact?

Another question. I was planning on replacing the butt plate and I know there are options to go with either original or repro. One option make more sense than the other?

Thanks,
Kirk

Fred Preston
01-04-2011, 06:21 PM
If the butt plate is damaged and needs replacing, on that gun, I would get a Tony G., Silvers or Hawkins, repro pad and have the LOP set for your needs.

Jeff Kuss
01-04-2011, 09:32 PM
Depending on how bad the butt plate is damaged, there are restorers out there that can repair the original butt plate.

Kirk Pfeffer
01-04-2011, 10:00 PM
Jeff, the original butt plate has a piece broken off of it so it needs to be replaced.

Fred, I did a google search for the names you posted but not having much luck. I did find one referred to as a Hawkins pad but it was pretty thick rubber. Is that what you were referring to? Just looking at it I don't see how it would allow me to adjust the LOP but then again I am a complete amateur at this.

Kirk

Robin Lewis
01-04-2011, 10:07 PM
Kirk, try here....
http://www.csmcspecials.com/SearchResults.asp?Cat=3

Jeff Kuss
01-04-2011, 10:24 PM
Broken pieces can be replaced with accu glass and checkered with amazing results.

Chuck Heald
01-19-2011, 08:00 AM
The gun appears to have been chemically/mechanically stripped of blueing on the barrels. It's also been disassembled by using improperly fitting screwdrivers, possibly by a family member. The gun appears to have a short LOP and lots of drop. I can't tell if the barrels are damascus or not in the pics. A good inspection of the bore condition and wallthickness is in order before proceding further, IMO. Then, I'd check to see if the ribs are attached soundly. Assuming the barrels are good, I'd check the barrels for being on-face next. If all those aren't satisfactory, I'd hang it on the wall above the fireplace.

If it passes all those inspections, it could be a shooter. A chemically/mechanically stripped gun with buggered screws is no treasure to me, even if my father did it. For a hunting gun, the original stock dimensions will always be an issue for most average modern shooters. In the end, I'd probably just do nothing to it and keep it.