PDA

View Full Version : Busted ejector.

Brian Stucker
01-03-2011, 12:58 AM
Ducks finally arrived in great numbers new years eve. Went out Saturday morning and was kicking thousands upon thousands of birds up on the way to the rice blind. My mind was asking if this was for real. My partner has the crud and couldn't make it so it was me, the ducks, and my BHE.

Got some RST's out (#6's) and was wondering how could this possibly get any better. Then the wind came up and it started to snow....happens about every 10 years or so. Now it's shoot time and the ducks are all around me. To many birds. Hard to track them all without my partner in the blind. Goddam head is spinning all around. Can't figure which one to shoot first....until a mallard flew too close.

Within 15 minutes I had two mallard and two sprig. A nice drake gadwall gets too close and is dispatched cleanly at 15 paces. Crack open the gun and the shell won't come out. Just shot the one, so upon holding the gun up for a better look the un-shot shell slides out and I can see where the ejector WAS and the spent round holding fast.

Look around and find the part and can feel the nub in the corner where the 'push-rod' busted off. What the hell?

I've been very careful to shoot only 2.5" RST shells out the gun. I did, however, get some gauge mates (20) and use them to shoot up some 7/8 oz. Federal target loads while waiting for my shipment of RST's. These shells are 2 3/4" but work fine in the gauge mates and are quite mild on the shoulder.

Was it just the ejector's time, did the gauge mates cause a problem with the one side, or did those 20ga. target loads have more poop than I thought?
I've shot about 500 rounds since getting the gun.

Also, wonder if the gun can easily be converted to an extractor and is that easily reversed if I decide to ever sell the gun? Is this a technically tricky operation, or more of a run of the mill repair (if there ever is one on a gun)?

On another note, I'm using some Filson 'tin cloth' wax on the receiver to protect it from the rain, mud, and snow, and it is doing a good job.

Looking for some help on this one. Thanks in advance.

Bob Jurewicz
01-03-2011, 05:27 AM
Tig weld should solve the problem if you have both the pieces.
Bob Jurewicz

Brian Stucker
01-03-2011, 07:54 AM
Just found the one piece, unfortunately. The gun is not a reproduction (must've clicked the wrong button), will this be a tough piece to get/have made?

Bob Jurewicz
01-03-2011, 04:10 PM
Brian,
Try here for a new ejector.
Valley Gunshop 716-652-6673
Bob Jurewicz

Brian Stucker
01-03-2011, 08:53 PM
Will do, and thanks again Bob.

E Robert Fabian
01-03-2011, 09:28 PM
Hope you have some pictures to share Brian !

Brian Stucker
01-03-2011, 09:38 PM
I will try to get some; both of the gun and the birds using the ranch. A friend has some trick gear and has offered to come by for a foto shoot. Should be this week; I may need some assistance posting them. We'll address that one when the pics are in the can.