PDA

View Full Version : New Garmin 200i track and train system

Phillip Carr
10-17-2020, 12:40 PM
I have been waiting in anticipation for the new Garmin collar system. My hunting partner has been field testing this system for the last year and a half and I was impressed.
Last week they started advertising this system so I sold my Alpha 100 and ordered the new 200i which arrived yesterday.
I really like the new larger and clearer screen. You can read this screen just like the newer cells phones right in direct sunlight.
It features a better touch screen which can be operated even with gloves on.
Along with all the features on the Alpha 100 it has some other great features.
Much easier to select dogs and control the correction and tones.
This system also offers inReach. Although it requires a subscription service you have a SOS button, ability to get weather as well as the ability to send and receive texts in areas where there is no cell service.
For those of us that hunt alone many times this could be a real life saver.
Anyone eles looking at this new system, or have ordered one?

Dave Tatman
10-17-2020, 12:54 PM
Is it compatible with our collars from the Alpha 100? I saw an email blurb on it from Gun Dog Supply, but never got back to it for a closer read.

Dave

Phillip Carr
10-17-2020, 01:15 PM
Yes if you have any collar that works with the Alpha 100 they will work with the Alpha 200i. My collars were 9 years old and Model TT 10’s.
I had just recently installed new straps and battery’s in all the collars and handheld so I sold it to a young guy with his 1st pup for a low price, and upgraded.

Victor Wasylyna
10-17-2020, 02:58 PM
Anyone eles looking at this new system, or have ordered one?

I ordered one from a Gun Dog Supply and it arrived this week. Seems to have all the bells and whistles.

-Victor

Bob Jurewicz
10-21-2020, 06:15 PM
This thread got me thinking that I needed a new set of collars. I currently use Garmin GPS and Dogtra Trainer. The thing lacking in the New 200i TT is a beeper. I run pointers and that is important to me.
Bob Jurewicz

Phillip Carr
10-21-2020, 08:44 PM
Just curious why you like the beeper. I used beepers for years but found the GPS told me exactly where the dogs are and when they go on point. Love hunting without the extra noise. Reminded me of work when equipment was backing up.

Bob Jurewicz
10-22-2020, 02:38 AM
When hunting heavy cover (NY) I find it easier to locate a dog on point with the beeper. In TX where cover is light the dogs are in site most of the time so for me the beeper is not critical. Another factor is that my Garmin Astro is slow to signal a point.
Bob Jurewicz

John Dallas
10-22-2020, 08:22 AM
Does anyone else share my opinion that the beeper has taught grouse to run?

George Davis
10-22-2020, 09:35 AM
Friend used the new Garmin 550 Plus with his two dogs while I was in Montana and it was impressive.

Phillip Carr
10-22-2020, 09:47 AM
That is also a great unit.

Phillip Carr
10-22-2020, 09:54 AM
John I definitely believe the quail where I hunt would run. Also as soon as my dog would point, so many times would flush once my dogs stopped. Does not seem to be a problem With many guys that use them but for me I thought it spooked skittish birds.

Bob Jurewicz
10-22-2020, 10:33 AM
I have never had a problem with birds getting spoked by the beeper. I run my GSP pup and older dog with beepers. In heavy cover I will have the puppies beeper on the setting for periodic location and point mode. The older GSP will run with beeper in point only mode. I have had both dogs with coveys of TX quail (bobwhite) almost under their nose with no problem. The puppy has not seen a Ruffy yet but the older dog has had a lot of past exposure in Canada with no problem. I wish I had some grouse in my part of NY.
Bob Jurewicz