PDA

View Full Version : Restoration

Lynn Harrison
07-29-2009, 05:38 PM
Is there any markings that would determine who did a restoration on a VH? I purchased the gun and i'm sure its been restored. Any comments would be appreciated.

Bruce Day
07-29-2009, 08:35 PM
xxxx

james van blaricum
08-03-2009, 04:55 PM
Bruce, have you recieved any of my pictures from the shoot? I have been having trouble with
this damn computer. Also, who would you use to redo some damascus barrels or is there something I can use to clean up the barrels. They are not bad but would look a lot nicer.Van

Dean Romig
08-03-2009, 05:16 PM
James, if I may chime in here, some Damascus barrels shouldn't be totally refinished unless they are a complete mess and nothing else will do. Sometimes a complete barrel refinish looks so 'out of place' in that they no longer match the patina on the rest of the gun.

Bruce Day
08-03-2009, 05:32 PM
xxx

Brad Bachelder
08-03-2009, 08:46 PM
Hello Lynn, it is not a necessity to fully refinish a set of barrels. If there is a fair amout of the pattern left, one can do a deep cleaning and enhancement of the existing pattern. The restoration process, preserves the original patina, making sure that the cuff matches the collar ! Dents, no problem. The enchancement requires the same equipment as a restoration, not something one can purchase at a hardware store. We use this process on museum quality pieces. Also the price is considerably less than full restoration.

Brad

Dean Romig
08-03-2009, 09:03 PM
"The enchancement requires the same equipment as a restoration, not something one can purchase at a hardware store. We use this process on museum quality pieces."

Brad, please tell us more about the process you use.

Dean

Brad Bachelder
08-03-2009, 10:33 PM
Hello Dean, What we do with these barrels basically is to deep clean and bring back exsisting colors. The degresing step we use is super heated water with phosphate based solvents. This stuff pulls all grease out of the metal. We then stabilize with mild phosphoric acid " the same stuff in coke products". Then neutralize with soda. The next step is a ferric sulfate wash, followed by a hemotox boil, ferric chloride bath, and wash. the last step is hand rubbed oil apps. .Burnish to desired patina. Done. In this process we do not disturb the pores or grain of the steel. This allows us to retain the original overall look, and still enhance the pattern. In many of our restorations of other types of firearms, it is important to not change the original draw lines that occur in the original ,machining. IE: Winchester recievers, nitros, foxes, etc.
Every piece of gunmetal has specific signatures that reflect the original processes. Patterns exist for good reason. To duplicate original appearances
You need to understand grain structures and machining techniques at the time of manufacture. Thats what we do.

Brad

Dean Romig
08-03-2009, 10:59 PM
Thanks for the detailed explanation Brad. I like to know there is still respect for enhanced originality (when advisable and still possible) rather than a sometimes unwarranted complete refinishing or 'restoration'.

Bill Murphy
08-04-2009, 09:11 AM
Thanks for deleting the off topic remarks. We're really nice guys on this site. Thanks again.

Paul Harm
08-05-2009, 03:09 PM
Lynn, I don't believe so. Bill, sometimes a subect gets sidelined. I'm sure no one meant any disrespect to Lynn. Paul

Dean Romig
08-05-2009, 03:53 PM
Sorry, I'm guilty too of not staying the course of the original topic.

Most gunsmiths and restoration shops do not mark a client's gun with an identification stamp or etching. That being said, I know that a very few who buy guns to re-sell that need restoration will do so. One house that comes to mind is DTR (Doug Turnbull Restorations) but it is marked in a somewhat obscure place.