PDA

View Full Version : Claiming bragging rights, at least for now

Tom Jay
09-10-2020, 06:10 PM
This photo is from a field trial a few weeks back in NH. My Max (Llewellin setter) placed 2nd in Amateur Gun Dog. Four broke finds including a stop to flush. Very proud of him. Hope to get a placement at the upcoming Arcadia Field Trials where he's running in Amateur Gun Dog and Amateur Shooting Dog. Then its up to NYS for grouse and woodcock.

allen newell
09-10-2020, 07:46 PM
Congrats Tom!

Kevin McCormack
09-16-2020, 09:06 AM
Tom, what do the terms "four broke finds" and "stop to flush" mean? Years ago I adopted a fully trained Setter but never trialed him so I am unfamiliar with the jargon.

Tom Jay
09-16-2020, 09:59 AM
Kevin, a "broke find" is when a dog points a bird, the dog does not move an inch following the flush by handler, flight to wing and the shot of the cap pistol. Dog can only move when released by the handler or told by the judge to move on. "Stop to flush" is a spontaneous moment when the dog running through cover unexpectedly flushes a bird without pointing. At that point the dog must stop in its tracks and must not move an inch. The handler can fire his cap pistol but if he does the dog must remain staunch until the judge says move on.