PDA

View Full Version : need help

charlie cleveland
12-27-2010, 08:52 PM
i got the round ball 8 ga mould today....the help i need what do you put on the mould to keep the lead from sticking to the mould....the mould is made of brass.....guy done a good job on the mould even put my last name on it...this is my first time to make a round ball with a mould so if some one can coach me through this ordeal maybe we can have a round ball load ready before the seasons out....allsuggestions appreciated... charlie

Dean Romig
12-27-2010, 09:25 PM
Try spraying it with PAM or one of those non-stick cooking aids.

Robert Rambler
12-27-2010, 09:46 PM
Charlie, Check you PM

Forrest Grilley
12-28-2010, 07:23 AM
Hold the cavities over a candle to cover them with soot, it will act as a release agent. After that, just run a lot of balls out of it to make sure it is up to temp. I've never cast a ball that large, but you will probably go through many balls before it will start casting perfect ones. It will take time to bring the mold up to temp. The more you use the mold, the easier it will work. Good luck.

Mike Stahle
12-28-2010, 08:27 AM
Charlie, If you can post some pictures as you progress in this endeavor. :corn:

Robin Lewis
12-28-2010, 10:00 AM
Charlie,

Pictures are a good idea! This would also make for a very interesting Parker Pages article. It would be great to see the pictures and read the details on how you came to do this and what the results are when test fired or better yet used on game.

charlie cleveland
12-28-2010, 11:01 PM
fellas i will do my best to report on this round ball project as it goes along.... and hopefully some pictures... charlie

calvin humburg
12-29-2010, 08:47 AM
Charlie take pictures with Bessies camera and well figure out how to get the pictures on one way or another. ch

Harry Collins
12-29-2010, 09:06 AM
Charlie,

I have a GH 12 gauge that shoots 1 oz slugs side by side one inch apart at 25 yards. Parker did a great job of barrels and I should think you will have good luck with the 8 gauge. My only concern is that (if I remember correctly) with cut barrels you may have lost the bend that alligns them to point of aim. I have a set of 45/70 12 gauge inserts that are about 18" long and it does not matter how you load it the bullets cross horribly. Anyway, remember that if the bullet is to light or to fast they will cross (right barrel will shoot to the left and the left barrel will shot to the right) and if the bullet is to heavy or to slow it will shoot apart.

Harry

Bill Murphy
12-29-2010, 11:57 AM
Charlie, how much are those things going to weigh? Have you gone on the "Gauge Rifle" forum over at doublegunshop.com?

charlie cleveland
12-29-2010, 12:14 PM
harry the barrels were cut from oringal 32 inch to 26 1/4 will have to wait till i shoot the round ball load to see if they cross...... bill i dont know yet what the load will weigh but will weigh itbefore shooting it for sure... calvin i will take pictures with bessies camera and with the help of you and every one maybe we can get this round ball thing off to a start.... charlie

Paul Harm
01-11-2011, 12:30 PM
I have brass, al, and steel molds and have never used a release. Just heat them hot enough and the lead won't stick. I usually lay them on the top of the melted lead and use a propane torch. Once hot enough it takes 10 seconds or so for the the lead to get hard in the mold. Then you'll start getting nice balls with no wrinkles. Paul

charlie cleveland
01-11-2011, 08:44 PM
thanks for the tip paul...i will try your sugg. in a couple days..been trying tosee a nice buck to take all im seeing is does....was a small buck and doe together yesterday evening but i let them pass...didnt see any thing this evening but 7 ducks and a hawk...but i still got 3 weeks left to hunt deer be glad when it cloes i need a break.... charlie