PDA

View Full Version : spreader loads

calvin humburg
12-27-2010, 05:57 AM
Has any body made any spreader loads for a 10 and how did they work? Is there any place to get a 10 size or did you use a 12 size from Balistic Products. Best ch

Harry Collins
12-27-2010, 08:44 AM
Polywad started making the disck to use in 10 gauge. I spoke with the owner and he said the 12 gauge SpredR works for the 10 gauge. I load them all the time in the 10 gauge. My loads are 1 1/4 oz from Sherman Bells data with Federal hull cut to 2 7/8", WW 209 Primer, IMR 4756 (35.5 grains) and Remington SP-10 wad.

Mark Ouellette
12-27-2010, 09:45 AM
Calvin,

I have used the "X" spreader from BPI in 10 gauge target loads with great success!

Another spreader insert can me made by cutting a plastic drinking straw to the length of the shot column and inserting it.

Any soft plastic in the center of the shot column will compress and subsequently de-compress (correct me if there is a better word) when it leaves the barrel. I would guess the thicker the plastic (within reason) the better.

Evidently it doesn't take much pressure pushing outboard to cause the pattern to spread.

Mark

Harry Collins
12-28-2010, 09:57 AM
Mark,

How and when did you insert the X into the wad? I reloaded a box or two of them for Travis Sims in 20 gauge. I tried to load like I do with the SpredR from Polywad by dropping the shot then placing the X on top of it and pushing it in. I never got the knack of it. Travis shot phesant with the loads and said they worked fine. I was afraid they would not because of my ineptness. I never experienced any problem loading with the SpredR. What is your trick?

Harry

Mark Ouellette
12-28-2010, 10:19 AM
Hi Harry,

After I dump the shot into the shell I simple try to center the BPI X-Stream spreader insert ( http://www.ballisticproducts.com/X-Stream-spreader-insert-200_bag/productinfo/3220001/ ) on top of the shot and push it down. The X insert weighs close to nothing so one doesn't have to worry about it concerning increasing pressure. The X insert does displace close to 1/8 oz of shot so please allow for an increased shot volume.

I often do not get the X insert centered but it either if doesn't matter much or luck has always been on my side when shooting them in a 10 gauge. I use the same inserts in 12 gauge loads with good results. The inserts seem to open the pattern a degree or two of choke. A full choke may open to mod or more. I think I got more opening (spread) with the 10 gauge than the 12 gauge. I do not have any data to back that up, only memory of broken targets.

Using the X inserts in my Big Friend Ten, a high condition 10 lb, 32" 10 gauge DH, with .030" bore constrictions, I shot 75% on the sporting clays course at the UP Shoot. That score put me in the top 20% of shooters at that shoot which was far above my normal ability!!!! Using the X's I also managed to break a lot of "in my face" targets at Hausman's Hidden Hollow this summer. My Parker shooting mates were so impressed that my nickname for my 10 lb DH quickly stuck. The BFT!

Respectfully,
Mark

charlie cleveland
12-28-2010, 04:08 PM
i know what im gonna carry to kansas next time im out there.... a 10 ga with spredder loads thanks to you fellas....charlie

calvin humburg
12-28-2010, 08:51 PM
I'll be trying then soon Charlie I'll let you know. ch

charlie cleveland
12-28-2010, 09:58 PM
will be waiting to hear how they shoot charlie....hope they do well.... charlie

Cal Lego
02-27-2011, 09:23 PM
I made up a bunch of spreader loads using just pieces of cardboard binder backing and I put them in and then poured the shot into the segments. I used this in my Dad's M12 full choke to hunt rabbits back in Illinois and it really worked. Read an article in Outdoor Life or one of the hunting mags about doing it. The "X" disign worked much better than the sectioned out with card wad kind of load. This was a 12 gauge but a 10 would be no different I'd think.