PDA

View Full Version : shooting buckshot

charlie cleveland
12-26-2010, 10:32 AM
ive been doing some more testing with the 10 ga and 8 ga buckshot...ive been using 000 buck...8 000 buck equals to 1 1/2 ounces this i use in the 10 ga 2 7/8 length hull... for the 8 ga i use 12 000 buck this amounts to 2 1/4 ounce i use this in the 3 1/4 inch shell.....my target is a 30 inch circle....range 50 yards....guns used was a 10 ga lc smith 32 inch barrels full chokes...the other gun was a 8 ga parker lifter gun with 26 inch barrels clyinder chokes...both guns will all there loads in a 30 in circle at 50 yards...i believe will kill a deer cleanly at this range some may disagree..... charlie

Harry Collins
12-26-2010, 02:16 PM
Charlie,

I've never hunted deer with a shotgun. I have an old friend in North Carolina and I think a shotgun is all they can use there to hunt deer. He told me they would drive the deer and shoot them in the head. A .36 lead ball in the brain should do the trick.

Harry

Mike Stahle
12-26-2010, 05:59 PM
Just posted today on an other forum.

"I have a trio of old W.C.Scott hammerless damascus shotguns and ALL are capable of handling moderately loaded smokeless loads as well as a nice old Parker 16 gauge hammerless .

Incidently just about 10 days ago I flattened a less then bright Virginia Whitetail at 26 yards with the old W.C Scott 10 gauge that belonged to my maternal grandfather for over 50 years !
I used a load Ross Seyfried used in a gun exactly like mine for 1 1/4 ounces of shot . But instead of using the shot I put twelve 00 Buck pellets in !
Shooting this load offhand at 25 yards on a pattern board one shot from each barrel gave me a 15" pattern with ALL 24 pellets accounted for inside the circle !

That deer also happened to be the first deer I have EVER killed with buckshot . Kinda cool it was with my grandfathers old 10 gauge and a load I assembled myself."

charlie cleveland
12-26-2010, 07:06 PM
that was a fine story.. it reallyworks a fellow up when you kill a deer withand old shotgun and espesilly with a load a fellow has made up his self....you and others know that feeling.....congratulations on the kill with that wc scott and roll your own load.....its fairly easy to take a doe with a centerfire rifle but you have to let them come close with bucksot....i hope to take one soonwith my short ten load...killed one with buckshot in 8 ga last year...hope a few more pitch in and tell of there use of buckshot on game.... charlie

Mike Stahle
12-27-2010, 08:11 AM
It indeed gives you an appreciation for the people of long ago that
had to do it all with just one gun. (feeding & protecting the family)
I can see how a SxS would have been a good choice. Small game hunting
with one barrel, the other barrel at the ready with a round of buck shot.

charlie cleveland
12-27-2010, 02:21 PM
fixin to go and try my buckshot loads out...hope lady luck smiles on me ...will report onhunt in a short....charlie

charlie cleveland
12-27-2010, 07:44 PM
stayed tillsun went down and then some....couple coyotes came up a howling made hair stand up on my neck...they were not over 50 foot away but i could not see them to get a shot...they must have howled for over a minute....deer sure didnt come around after all the racket....maybe tommorrow i will get a chance to use the buckshot .... charlie

charlie cleveland
12-28-2010, 07:50 PM
well genteman this evening i changed straegy and decided to use a slug load for this evenings deer hunt...was using the 8 ga parker...the slug load was a 10 ga slug i borrowed from a 3 1/2 in shell...it worked fine on paper....well i got to my stand at 4.00 pm at 4.45 the big doe walked by my stand and started grazing...she was a little nervous but soon settled down....she was a large doe and she was by her self....shes was at about 50 steps so i had to wait hoping she would come closer...she finally came within about 20 steps...i already had the hammer back on the right barrel...i took a good aim on her shoulder then squezed the trigger...what a surprise i got the primer went off with little more than fizzle...that 1 3/4 ounce slug never even got to the doe..it just barely got out of the barrel...well needless to say the doe didnt give me a 2nd chance..she throwed up that big flag an said see you later...i didnt know weather to be mad or laugh i decided just to laugh..i guess thats why they call it hunting....when i got home i checked my other slug load..i had forgot to seal the slug with hot glue....but you know what through error im learninh every day and its made a good story for you fellas... hope this makes your evening it did mine.... charlie

Harry Collins
12-28-2010, 09:22 PM
Charlie,

I can't begin to count the times I have had to laugh at what just happened and or what I had just done while hunting. Thank the Good Lord I never hurt any one.....

Harry

charlie cleveland
12-28-2010, 09:55 PM
im beginning to believe those deer have jinxed myshells in the field...one things sure i will not forget to hot glue or crimp my next loads...only had 2 slug loads left and now im down to one....those paper deer stand still longer ifyour gun dont fire...this makes a deer and a turkey this has happened to me....better to laugh than to cry.... charlie

CraigThompson
03-14-2011, 01:06 PM
The fellow Citori made mention of was me :whistle:

Here are a couple pics from this past season !

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/10%20gauge%20shotguns/12-18-10eveninghunt002.jpg

Thats the doe I killed at 26 yards with my handloaded 00 Buck load . Load had 12 pellets . She dropped on the spot at the crack of the gun !

http://i50.photobucket.com/albums/f316/6pt-sika/10%20gauge%20shotguns/Dove2.jpg

Thats the same gun on a late season dove shoot ! Was the week between Xmas and New Years .

I have an inclanation now to kill a canada goose , a mallard or woodie , a squirrel , a rabbit and possibly a turkey with this old gun !

I'm not sure why I want to do all this other then the fact it was my grandfathers old gun !

Mike Stahle
03-14-2011, 07:27 PM
Welcome aboard Craig... :)
Guy's, Craig is a good friend of mine from over on the lever gun forum.
Now ya'll need to talk him into picking up another one of these o’ll Parker girls we love so much. ;)

CraigThompson
03-14-2011, 08:03 PM
Welcome aboard Craig... :)
Guy's, Craig is a good friend of mine from over on the lever gun forum.
Now ya'll need to talk him into picking up another one of these o’ll Parker girls we love so much. ;)

Well I have a couple Vh 12's with fluid steel barrels and the GH 16 damascus !

Had a nice old 16 gauge VH with an english stock and 30" barrels as well as a 16 Trogan with 28" barrels !
Sold or traded the 16 VH and Trogan , so we're down to three at the moment !

But I have the inclanation for a nice HAMMERLESS damascus 10 gauge :whistle:

Mike Stahle
03-15-2011, 04:28 AM
Well I have a couple Vh 12's with fluid steel barrels and the GH 16 damascus !

Had a nice old 16 gauge VH with an english stock and 30" barrels as well as a 16 Trogan with 28" barrels !
Sold or traded the 16 VH and Trogan , so we're down to three at the moment !

But I have the inclanation for a nice HAMMERLESS damascus 10 gauge :whistle:

Hummm! Looks like I'm the one needin to play catch up :)
I'v been thinking about a 10 ga. here of late myself.

CraigThompson
03-15-2011, 07:02 AM
Hummm! Looks like I'm the one needin to play catch up :)
I'v been thinking about a 10 ga. here of late myself.

You know besides the W.C. pictured I also have a Ithaca 10 gauge SxS with 2 7/8" chambers thats fluid steel !

We,ve owned that one for 30 years and never bothered to shoot it !

Bores on the Ithaca are spotless !