PDA

View Full Version : It seems harder to let them go

Garry L Gordon
08-10-2020, 05:31 PM
We had to have our Cedar put to sleep last week after her year long fight with cancer. I had desperately hoped to be able to hunt over her again at least one time this coming season. She had surgery last year to remove a melanoma growth in her mouth that took part of her upper jaw and hard palette. Elaine nursed her for a couple of months, and Cedar, wearing her protective collar, enjoyed going on all our hunting trips with us. She took not being able to hunt in stride.

She was, as all are and have been, a one-of-a-kind personality. Elaine and I often joked that she might have had Asperger Syndrome as she avoided being touched and would go off by herself to peer out into the distance, hoping to see a bird or squirrel. But in her last hours struggling to breath wth cancer in her lungs, she climbed into my lap wanting me to help her. I hope I did.

In her last days she loved to sit at the window upstairs and gaze out over the yard, and she loved to go to breakfast with us, sitting in the back seat and watching birds out of the window.

I know from reading my colleagues posts that there are many on this forum that understand firsthand a hunter's bond with his dog. There is nothing like it, and there was nothing quite like Cedar. In my perhaps misguided perception of the after life, I believe she is hunting with her buddy, Peat, who died in October. They were a pair, and they loved each other dearly. It's a comforting thought to believe that all of our dogs when they pass have a place to go to wait for us -- a place that has birds, wonderful weather, no thorns, and a warm bed at end of day.

Dean Romig
08-10-2020, 06:46 PM
Garry, that was heart-rending and one of the sweetest dog eulogies I have ever read. I am truly sorry for your loss.

I surely hope I’ll never have to write something like this for my girl Grace. But I hope she goes before I do because I can’t imagine her anguish when I go and she forever wonders why I left her.

I hope time makes it better for you.

Brett Hoop
08-10-2020, 07:45 PM
Garry
Sorry for your loss. Your written words express the love you have for Cedar like few could. They also make me think about how lucky I am. There is a 64 lb. English Setter stretched across my lap right now. Buzzy could be on the couch or the two dog beds here in the den but he’s where he wants to be.
More often it seems theses days learn of the passing of another friend or family member and I always pray that heaven is all they hoped it to be. Misguided or not I too believe.

Garry L Gordon
08-10-2020, 09:18 PM
Thanks, Dean and Brett. Hold them close.

Gary Laudermilch
08-10-2020, 09:24 PM
Oh Garry, so, so sorry for your loss of a best friend. It is so soon after my own loss that I know the anguish that accompanies the passing of a true friend and partner. Take care.

Garry L Gordon
08-11-2020, 08:45 AM
Oh Garry, so, so sorry for your loss of a best friend. It is so soon after my own loss that I know the anguish that accompanies the passing of a true friend and partner. Take care.

Thank you, Gary. I thought about you over the past days after reading of your own loss. I wish there was more to do to make things better. Elaine and I feel so empty. Our two remaining Gordons, Alder and Aspen, have been noticeably upset, especially Alder, who was like Cedar's little sister for 8 years. I'm so glad we have them to help us. I'm sure you understand this, too.

Mills Morrison
08-11-2020, 09:48 AM
Sorry to hear the news . . . We still miss our black lab Gator two years after his passing. A new dog heals the wounds, but not completely

Garry L Gordon
08-11-2020, 09:51 AM
Sorry to hear the news . . . We still miss our black lab Gator two years after his passing. A new dog heals the wounds, but not completely

Mills, I enjoyed reading about Gator in your book. Your writing made clear the wonderful relationship he had with your family.

Mills Morrison
08-11-2020, 09:54 AM
Thank you Garry. Sherwood is a great dog too, although very different personalities.

Timothy Salgado
08-11-2020, 03:25 PM
I'm very sorry for your loss, it's a very touching post, having been through this myself, you have my deepest sympathy.
Take care
Tim

Ken Hill
08-12-2020, 09:35 AM
Garry,

Sorry to read about Cedar and your loss. Take care and keep the memories of a great friend and companion.

Ken

Gary Carmichael Sr
08-13-2020, 02:49 PM
Garry, Cedar will be waiting for you at the "Rainbow Bridge"

Garry L Gordon
08-13-2020, 03:04 PM
Garry, Cedar will be waiting for you at the "Rainbow Bridge"

I believe you are correct, Gary. She'll be there with 7 other Gordons...and my Pop (who will have scoped out the best coverts).

Thanks so much for your comments -- and to everyone who has replied. All of us who have lost our hunting companions share something in our loss, and we are so much the richer even in that loss.

Milton C Starr
08-13-2020, 08:05 PM
My best friend passed away last year , he was going on 13 yrs old and I got him when I was 14 in 2007 and had him till I was 26 in 2019 .

My vet told me something though that made it a bit easier , though its never easy loosing a friend.
He said you gave him a good life I can remember when you first brought him in when you were a boy and he was a puppy and now you're a grown man and hes been with you as you grew up . Most people dont get that experience and at the end of the day the best thing we can do for them is give them the best life we can .

Harry Neil
08-17-2020, 04:58 PM
Good girl Cedar....

Garry L Gordon
08-17-2020, 06:32 PM
Thanks, Harry and Milton. Your words are so appreciated.

Harry Neil
08-17-2020, 10:12 PM
They go, but they never leave....There are places, special places, where their presence comes on strong....Some are places we can go back to....others are places in our minds...both are real.

Harold Lee Pickens
08-19-2020, 10:29 AM
Gawd Garry, you got me tearing up, such a touching post, especially to those of us who have cared for a dying dog to the end. We hope it will never happen again, but we know damn well that it will.

Ed Norman
08-28-2020, 08:48 PM
Garry,
What a nice post, that was very touching. Thanks for staying in touch, my brittany just came over and laid his head on my knee as I am typing this, he senses things like my sorrow. You and your wife are "way up there" at the top of the list for couples that take good care of pets. What wonderful life's you and your wife give each and every dog you have. We have a 13 year old havanese (our first dog together) I see him slipping a little as months go by. I try to hold him every night now, and tell him what a great dog he is. Thanks again for all your touching posts, I wish you and your wife the very best at such a trying time.

Garry L Gordon
08-28-2020, 09:27 PM
Thanks, Ed.