PDA

View Full Version : Lefever damascus finish original?

Frank Srebro
08-07-2020, 04:03 PM
I recently saw a G Grade Lefever dated about 1903. The gun shows little use and she's in a fitted case and barrels are in pretty nice shape. I'd appreciate opinions if these barrels are refinished, or not. They have the very slightest hint of a brownish cast, not that apparent in these pics. Thanks.

Pics may be greatly expanded.

David Noble
08-07-2020, 04:32 PM
I think pictures of the condition of the whole gun would help to make that call.
However just comparing to the average condition these 100+ year old guns are found in, I would say these barrels may have been refinished. If they have not been redone then I would expect a very fine condition original gun overall.

Dean Romig
08-07-2020, 05:03 PM
We can see the longitudinal carding ‘stripes’ which don’t generally appear on original barrels. On untouched barrels, if in the condition of the barrels shown here, all we generally see are the striking lines or faint ‘scratches’.

Nevertheless, those barrels are exceptionally nice.

Daryl Corona
08-07-2020, 06:10 PM
If the rest of that gun looks as nice as those barrels I'd have to say they are original. Knowing your ability to find great guns Frank then yes they are original. Just saying...:)

Harold Lee Pickens
08-07-2020, 09:24 PM
Nice find, I had to get my G 16 out, it has a different damascus pattern.

Wayne Owens
08-07-2020, 10:48 PM
Here is an original D grade from 1893 to compare. Colors seem very similar.

Drew Hause
08-08-2020, 12:12 PM
I believe they were re-colored and over-etched. The white/iron alternee are slightly eaten away.

Stephen Hodges
08-08-2020, 03:17 PM
I can appreciate that most folks want and old original gun it pristine condition who wouldn't, but I would not be ashamed to own that gun:corn:

Frank Srebro
08-08-2020, 03:56 PM
Thanks everyone for your inputs. Yeah Steve she seems to be a pretty nice upland gun 12 bore with 28” tubes factory choked about LM and I-Mod per my bore mike. Feels to be on the light side but I don’t have the weight. Sorry I don’t have any additional pics right now.

Mike Koneski
08-09-2020, 04:48 PM
I can appreciate that most folks want and old original gun it pristine condition who wouldn't, but I would not be ashamed to own that gun:corn:

AMEN to that Stephen!!