PDA

View Full Version : Give them an extra hug and treat.

Timothy Salgado
08-07-2020, 03:14 PM
My Labrador Retriever , Piper developed an aggressive tumor on one of her breasts. We were referred to a local emergency vet that she's been to before. We had the appointment last night and the Doctor advised that the tumor should be removed ASAP and that they could do the surgery today ,so she stayed there overnight. The surgery went well and she is now in recovery, they found another smaller tumor on the breast next to the original and removed that also. They'll be sending out for biopsy both tumors and have the results within two weeks. Hopefully they're not malignant, the X-Ray of the chest and all the blood work indicate no spread so far. I guess time will tell, the initial tumor had tripled in size in a matter of weeks. Like the title says,
" Give them an extra hug and a treat"

Dean Romig
08-07-2020, 03:24 PM
Hoping for a full recovery and back in the field this fall.

John Dallas
08-07-2020, 05:16 PM
Obviously a different type of tumor, but my Daisy had two surgeries to remove a mass cell tumor most 2 years ago, and she's doing fine. Good luck

Daryl Corona
08-07-2020, 06:16 PM
Labs are tough. Best wishes for a speedy recovery.

Mills Morrison
08-07-2020, 06:32 PM
Good luck

Ed Norman
08-28-2020, 08:54 PM
Best wishes for a speedy recovery Timothy.

Garry L Gordon
08-28-2020, 09:30 PM
Our best to you and Piper.

Timothy Salgado
08-29-2020, 12:05 AM
Thanks everyone, as an update, the tumor biopsy came back as cancer, we had the consultation with the oncologist this morning. After reviewing everything and examining Piper he advised us that the cancer was a rarer form of breast cancer in dogs. The oncologist advised that it is very aggressive and will most likely return or most likely spread to the chest/lungs, he advised chemotherapy. The oncologist provided us with paper work to go over at home and discuss and make a decision on what we wished to do, either wait and see or begin the chemotherapy. We have decided to begin the chemo , particularly because of how fast and large the tumor grew, and given the fact that the connected lymph node was clear and it hadn’t spread . We’re hoping the course of chemo will stop it at the site of where the tumor was removed. Thanks again for all the prayers and support.
Take care,
Tim

Garry L Gordon
08-29-2020, 05:59 AM
Thanks everyone, as an update, the tumor biopsy came back as cancer, we had the consultation with the oncologist this morning. After reviewing everything and examining Piper he advised us that the cancer was a rarer form of breast cancer in dogs. The oncologist advised that it is very aggressive and will most likely return or most likely spread to the chest/lungs, he advised chemotherapy. The oncologist provided us with paper work to go over at home and discuss and make a decision on what we wished to do, either wait and see or begin the chemotherapy. We have decided to begin the chemo , particularly because of how fast and large the tumor grew, and given the fact that the connected lymph node was clear and it hadn’t spread . We’re hoping the course of chemo will stop it at the site of where the tumor was removed. Thanks again for all the prayers and support.
Take care,
Tim

Tim, I feel for you. We just went through two cancer cases in the past year. For what it's worth, chemo was well tolerated by our male. Dogs are tough. The don't complain and always are optimistic. Some of that optimism will rub off on you. Enjoy every second you have with your precious one.

Gary Carmichael Sr
08-29-2020, 11:07 AM
Hangin there I believe things will work out for the best labs are tough! and so are their owners, Gary

Harry Neil
08-30-2020, 09:09 AM
Hard times with a best friend....

Prayers from here....

Mills Morrison
08-30-2020, 06:34 PM
Bad news. Hoping for the best . . .

Zacharysmith
08-31-2020, 11:22 PM
Tim, Piper doesn't look particularly old. Age?
I have lived through exactly what you are going through with my first GSP. She had lympangiosarcoma. Very rare in dogs and agressive. She was 2 1/2 when she got it and made it to 5 years and 5 months after surgeries and 5 rounds of chemo. Chemo is tough. After all my research I found that chemo in dogs is given as much lover levels then say humans. Its more to prolong life then rid them of the cancer. The 1950's chemical that mine received was one of the first drugs given to humans. I found that very discouraging that technology could not keep up with our best friend. The best advice I was given I will share to you now from my local vet. Prednisone! A cheap anti-inflammatory that I believe gave my girl a couple more years with me. She took 10mg daily for 2 1/2 years. At $5 a month it kept the cancer from spreading very very slow. My girl was put down after she blew up her shoulder running to me in the woods. The cancer most likely spread to her bones per x rays. I wish you both the best!

Timothy Salgado
08-31-2020, 11:39 PM
Zach,
Piper just turned nine in July, I’ve always fed her a fish based diet, I’ve had her on anti inflammatory supplements for the past two years due to bad environmental allergies that wreaked havoc on her skin causing infections and hair loss overall malaise last summer . My vet had us add extra good fats, and turmeric to her diet and advised Claritin and also prescribed Apoquel for the allergies. Unfortunately the oncologist advised that Apoquel will accelerate tumor growth. I know the extra good fats and turmeric helped with the inflammation and she didn’t have severe allergies this year , maybe that’s why the cancer remained localized and hadn’t spread. Thanks for the information, she starts her treatment tomorrow, we’ll hope for the best.
Take Care
Tim

William Woods
09-07-2020, 11:35 AM
Best wishes for you and your canine companion.

Timothy Salgado
11-12-2020, 03:05 PM
I just wanted to update everyone with the information that Piper had her last chemo treatment on November 4, 2020. At the time of her third treatment on October 14th, the vet oncologist took X-rays of her chest and it was all clear with no cancer spread and the bloodwork was all good. We go back in six weeks for another X-ray and bloodwork and if all is clear a follow-up in 4 months, then out to a year if no problems. Throughout the chemo treatments Piper did well with minimal side effects. Thanks to all those concerned. I wanted to post some hunting photos and figured an update would be in order too.
Thanks again
Tim.

Garry L Gordon
11-12-2020, 07:15 PM
I just wanted to update everyone with the information that Piper had her last chemo treatment on November 4, 2020. At the time of her third treatment on October 14th, the vet oncologist took X-rays of her chest and it was all clear with no cancer spread and the bloodwork was all good. We go back in six weeks for another X-ray and bloodwork and if all is clear a follow-up in 4 months, then out to a year if no problems. Throughout the chemo treatments Piper did well with minimal side effects. Thanks to all those concerned. I wanted to post some hunting photos and figured an update would be in order too.
Thanks again
Tim.

Tim, I hope you continue to get good check-ups for Piper. My best to you both.

Timothy Salgado
11-12-2020, 07:29 PM
Thanks Garry,
The vets told us that once she’s past the side effects , which usually hit around day four after the treatment for a few days, she could do her normal activities. I’ve had her out for the duck hunt and a few pheasant hunts that I limit to 2hrs with frequent breaks and the easy areas. She’s done well , finding pheasants every time. It’s clear getting out in the field lifts her spirits.

Daryl Corona
11-12-2020, 07:45 PM
Great news. Please give Piper a scratch behind the ear for me and enjoy every minute in the field hunting together.

Garry L Gordon
11-12-2020, 07:46 PM
Thanks Garry,
The vets told us that once she’s past the side effects , which usually hit around day four after the treatment for a few days, she could do her normal activities. I’ve had her out for the duck hunt and a few pheasant hunts that I limit to 2hrs with frequent breaks and the easy areas. She’s done well , finding pheasants every time. It’s clear getting out in the field lifts her spirits.

Tim, I'm so glad that you are able to hunt with Piper. We lost two of our Gordons this past year to cancer, so I know some of what you are going through. I'm hoping all the best for you and your hunting buddy.

Timothy Salgado
11-30-2021, 10:42 AM
Hello , I just wanted to post an update that Piper passed away on the morning November 17th here at home with me. We had learned at her check up in March that the chemotherapy was unsuccessful and that the cancer had spread to her lungs and there wasn't much else that could be done. Piper had a good Spring and Summer and I had hoped we would be able to get out in the fields again in early October for a couple short hunts. Unfortunately that was not to be as her health started to decline in late September. She was the sweetest dog we've ever owned and was loved by everyone and will be greatly missed.
Tim

Mills Morrison
11-30-2021, 11:05 AM
Sorry to hear the news . . . .

Donald F. Mills
11-30-2021, 11:34 AM
Tim,
I am sorry for your loss. You and your family will be in my prayers.

Don

Gary Carmichael Sr
11-30-2021, 11:54 AM
As I read this sad news my 8 year old Lab is laying beside me in the library they do not live long lives, Mattie was an exception at fifteen, Jolie is a great companion, and gives unconditional love, I truely feel your loss Tim go get another pup, you will know when you find the right one, you will instantly bond! Gary

Mills Morrison
11-30-2021, 12:00 PM
Gary is right about getting another pup. While it seems disrespectful to the old dog, going ahead and getting a new dog is the best medicine for your loss. I have been there and done that

Andrew Sacco
11-30-2021, 12:25 PM
Gary is right about getting another pup. While it seems disrespectful to the old dog, going ahead and getting a new dog is the best medicine for your loss. I have been there and done that

Ditto that. Lucy begat Duck who begat Chooch who begat Otis. Not a single regret moving on, as hard as it was to take that step. All chocolate Labs. My thoughts are with you at this tough time.

John Dallas
11-30-2021, 05:51 PM
Taking my Lab Daisy (in my avatar) as a picker upper at a tower shoot on Thursday. As she is losing her sight, this may be her last one. Sure hope it's not.

William Woods
12-01-2021, 08:41 AM
Tim,

I am sorry to hear of your companion's passing. I have lost several over the years and it does not get any easier. They say time heals, maybe, but the memories keep flooding back. Best wishes.

John Dallas
12-02-2021, 05:42 PM
Back from the shoot. 30 guns who were the gang who couldn't shoot straight. She only ended up with a dozen retrieves, and showed me she still is ready for another. She did have a retrieve on a nice Longtail. 36 bars

Daryl Corona
12-02-2021, 06:56 PM
Nice work Daisy! I feel your pain John. Last weekend I worked pickup at our club for a shoot that released 400 birds and only 185 were bagged. I'm not complaining as the dogs and I get plenty of cleanup work. My 2 labs are around 11 but still going strong.

Next shoot is this Sunday and 2 PGCA members of note will be attending. Stay tuned for results and names of the participating shooters.