PDA

View Full Version : Waiting for Santa

Dave Fuller
12-18-2010, 10:00 PM
My springer is a bit thin-skinned in the duck blind, she can't hunt when it gets too cold (kinda like me). When she gets home from a chilly fowl shoot she hogs the fire.

Dean Romig
12-18-2010, 10:56 PM
I miss my Lab.

Kenny Graft
12-19-2010, 06:26 AM
I miss my Beagle.....)-:

Gary Carmichael Sr
12-19-2010, 08:22 AM
Boys, Go get another Lab or Beagle, They will not replace hunting partners long gone,But a pup will make that passing a lot easier! If only everyone in the world had the devotion and love that a dog has it would be a hell of a lot better place enough said!

Bill Murphy
12-19-2010, 06:35 PM
I will be leaving my Wirehair, Eva, home in front of a sunny window this week while I go to the Eastern Shore. However, Linda's Springers would be hiding out in the truck, eager to go. Last big water retrieve for her Doser was at 14 years old. Great picture, Gary.

Dean Romig
12-19-2010, 08:44 PM
Kathy's been at me for a few years about getting another dog. She's been considering non-working dogs if you know what I mean. :nono:

Yesterday I told her "Only if it's a Lab".

She's good with that. :D

Jack Cronkhite
12-19-2010, 10:31 PM
Always tough to say farewell. As newly-weds, we had DUSK and DAWN. They were with us 15 years. We waited many years before bringing in TAZ and FOXY for 10 years. Then, we waited a couple years and now have CHARLIE and KYRA. We will be very oldly-weds when their time comes. If we are able, any that follow definitely won't be puppies. A senior adoption would be considered. Would be nice having the K9s taking care of us for a change. :) Wish you well Dean and be careful. There are also non-working labs out there.
Jack
http://1.bp.blogspot.com/_lSOaiONIWnA/THaeBoNG-UI/AAAAAAAAAMo/eBPE5-URxYQ/s1600/lazy-dog-pool.jpg

Dean Romig
12-19-2010, 10:42 PM
Thanks Jack. We're going into this knowing we'll never be as lucky with the next one as with Tobie. She was simply, one of a kind. I know everybody feels the same way about a dog they've been owned so I'm sure everyone can understand how Kathy and I feel about all this. A bit hesitant for fear we'll be gravely disappointed... but a puppy is the only way we would do it again.

calvin humburg
12-19-2010, 11:05 PM
Herd a story once about when God made the dog the jest of the story is dog is God spelled backwards and they have some of the same ways abought them. ch

John Dallas
12-20-2010, 09:08 AM
Dean - Full disclosure - I am very prejudiced, but I would suggest you look hard at a "British Lab". My old girl was imprted from Scotland 12 1/2 years ago, and has taken me nice places. Probably about 1300 retrieves, and 80 visits to Detroit's Children's Hospital as a Therapy dog. The British style dogs are typically milder, and easier to train. If you look in the dog section of the DU magazine, you will see that an overwhelming number of the kennels advertising are promoting British dogs.

Dean Romig
12-20-2010, 10:45 AM
Thanks John. Tobie was half English Blockhead and my daughter's black Lab is full English. Both dogs are/were very mild mannered and biddable from puppy stage. My other daughter's yellow Lab has some other lineage... don't know what but he is a "nut case" and he never stops playing, swimming and begging to be played with and never was very biddable. He has always required a lot of patience and constant attention. I would have sold him or given him away long ago.... but he's not my dog.

John Dallas
12-20-2010, 12:08 PM
Yep. My duaghter's lab ( who has at least one American FC in her 2nd generation papers is also a dingbat. Altho she was never been trained for field work, I think it would have been a real challenge

Jack Cronkhite
12-20-2010, 12:49 PM
Add husky into the mix with a yellow lab and you can get a real nut case. She has grown on me though. Some will have seen this shot of CHARLIE. It does capture "nut case" fairly well.
Cheers,
Jack
http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=120&pictureid=1223

John Dallas
12-20-2010, 02:33 PM
Here's "Tar" with one of her prizes: