PDA

View Full Version : "No Pressure" loads

Jack Cronkhite
12-15-2010, 11:45 PM
These would be the ones that, although loaded into a gun, are never fired. Today was a decent day so CHARLIE, KYRA and I headed for the creeks. We went back to the farm we hunted on opening day. Nobody home today except RIO, the wonder dog. Had to park on the road as there was a huge drift across the yard entrance. While the dogs got re-acquainted, I put on the snowshoes and loaded up the "no pressure" shot shells. There were pheasants feeding in the fields but no way of approaching them. We moved along some shelter belts and fence lines. Feeding birds would get nervous and flush a couple hundred yards away. I would watch where they went and kept a mental inventory of possible cover to work on the way back. It got old pretty fast watching the birds disappear if we got anywhere near. A group of 6 or 7 flushed, again a couple hundred yards away. As we closed that gap, RIO caught the scent and headed to where they had been. He was jumping around back and forth out there and next thing I know he was headed back to me with bird in mouth. He arrived and sat on the front of the snow shoes and gave me a very nice rooster. It was dead and limp, not frozen solid so it was fresh. It was heavy and long tailed, so I'm not thinking it was a sick bird. Maybe shot early in the season and unable to fly. I will figure it out later but am thinking this one is for CHARLIE and KYRA since I really won't know why RIO was able to get it, unlike the one CHARLIE got last week.

UPDATE: The rooster died from K9 Krunch. 29 bar tail. No gangrene, so not previously wounded. Wings okay but some feathers may be missing on left. The crop was completely empty which seems unusual since it was in an area where the birds were feeding. Hard to believe RIO caught it before it got any grain. So, still a mystery to me how a dog caught a rooster in a stubble field.

Anyway, I think I'll hang up the guns and just buy dogs :rolleyes:

Here's a shot of RIO holding a bird before the snow. He will flush on invitation or just hold and let the shooter flush. He's a great dog and into his 11th year. Hopefully he will be around for a few seasons yet. Always enjoy a day with him in the mix.

Cheers,
Jack
http://www.shotgunworld.com/bbs/cpg1410/albums/userpics/20081113_IMG_9999_43FSGW.jpg