PDA

View Full Version : nail trimmers

Rick Losey
04-07-2020, 08:40 AM
do any of you use the powered trimmers for your dogs nails-

and have you used more than one brand- which do you like or recommend?

I have always used an old style scissor cutter but the edge of the nail is left blunt and i have seen some spilt

Tweed's nails were trimmed the day we picked him up, and they need to be taken back a little already. the difference in growth rates amazes me

Griffin, our recently passed setter, needed his done every month and I was taking a fair amount. Other dogs - Like our Golden Macallan - almost never need them done - he is four and I do not think i do his more than once a year, and I take very little then.

the scissor cutters risk hitting the quick, i do understand friction heat is the danger with the rotary units, but that is a matter of taking your time.

so - recommendations?

Eric Eis
04-07-2020, 09:01 AM
Rick, I have used the cordless Dremel tool with a course sanding drum on it and it works quite well. Just do a little at time, I do one pass on each nail and when I finish each nail on the paw I go back and do another pass, that way the nail does not get heated up. I started Magic when he was young but only did one or two paws the first few times to allow him to get use to it.

John Dallas
04-07-2020, 09:53 AM
I borrowed an electric grinder, but suspect the drum was used up, as it didn't cut well at all. I have the scissors cutters which the dog doesn't like. I just tried using a set of toe nail clippers. Worked well, and the dog didn't mind it

Fred Verry
04-08-2020, 01:01 AM
Andis corded nail groomer (two speed grinder).

Gary Carmichael Sr
04-10-2020, 10:34 AM
I use the Dremel tool also just make sure as Eric says do not let it heat up by being to long on one nail, Gary

Ed Norman
04-11-2020, 08:41 AM
Rick,
I use a battery operated dremel, we used to used clippers, and we had to fight with our dog every time. Now when he sees the dremel, he actually puts his paw out for me to start (no kidding) I hit his nails lightly with the grinder twice a week, and after I use a nail file to take any rough spots off.