PDA

View Full Version : The single selective trigger...

Kenny Graft
07-26-2009, 08:52 PM
First let me say I have owned several parker repro's with one trigger...never has one doubled for me. I do not feel they are defective in anyway. They are prowne to need cleaning sooner than its two trigger brother if water or debree gets inside the workings of the sears. If a repro doubles it may be time to have a pro clean it properly and with the correct tools needed to remove the wood and belly plate, not your brother in law that makes his own muzzleloaders and wine in his spare time when he's not fixen your sisters VW bug!. This nasty dirty,rusty, dry sticky sh-t happens with all guns including your faverite browning and our beloved parkers.
Double trigger repro's are less availible couse they made 2/3 more of them with the single trigger option. Hi-grade or DHE grades were more likly to have all the important options availible, kinda like power windows on better oldsmobles back in the 60-s. Now we all want them. Im a old school guy AKA-old fart to be....so I learned on the double triggers back in the day and love them. Yes I can shoot a single triggers one day and a DT the next no brain farts as yet. The one thing I do not like about the Parker single trigger system is the hidden selector switch. When hunting it is useless...I do not want to carry my gun around upsidedown all day in order to garentee it moves fast! The repro's have a very tight and solid switch that does not move easy, you can't flick it back and forth with your pinky. Thats it...just give me the two triggers for fast selection of barrels and choke. If you do not hunt and only shoot clay targets it should not be any issue at all. Heck most of the boys shooting now days have the gun pointed ,safty off befor they call for the target....barrel selection would be all ready as well!
O.K. there are sixteen parker repro's on gun broker right now...fifteen are single trigger guns...If you want a Target-clays gun go get one and be happy....there are some good buys as well...They are a lotta gun for the money! thanks all Kenny Graft SXS ohio...(-:

Walter Arend
07-22-2010, 07:12 PM
Hi, I have an A1, which I purchesd in white. I had it engraved and sent it out to a shop to have it blued and case colored. The shop could not reassamble the trigger (single) so I had him return it to the engraver. The engraver has had the same problem. The trigger works until you put the stock back on. Does anyone have the name of a gunsmith who has the knowhow and or a schematic.

Thank You

Bill Murphy
07-22-2010, 09:10 PM
Who are the finisher and engraver whom we should avoid when we need work done on our Repros? Actually, I wouldn't expect the engraver to be the gunsmith also. This sounds like a bit of a nightmare to me.

Chuck Bishop
07-23-2010, 08:32 AM
It sounds like more of a stock fitting problem if the single trigger works just fine with the stock off. The alignment of the receiver body with the floor plate is critical for proper sear/trigger alignment. There are 2 long screws that go through the stock to secure the receiver to the floor plate. The big screw under the top lever that screws into the floor plate and the smaller long screw that goes through the floor plate and screws into the top tang, both go through holes in the stock. Over or under tightening of these screws could change the relationship of the triggers to the sears. Hope this helps.

Dave Suponski
07-23-2010, 10:30 AM
Chuck nailed it....The relationship between the top tang and the floor plate tang is critical. A matter of a few thousanths and you will have problems. Believe me I know.....:rolleyes:

Eric Eis
07-24-2010, 11:55 AM
Chuck and Dave nailed it, it is a stock issue and turning that screw a quarter of a turn can make the trigger work or not.....Take this to someone who knows what they are doing......

John Truitt
07-24-2010, 11:56 AM
Mr Bishop and Mr. Suponski both have it right.

Sounds like a wood fit issue. Many times with a new stock or one that is old the wood gets compressed allowing the top tan to come closer to the bottom/ floor plate. Like Mr. Suponski said even just a few thousands off and your single trigger will start doubling. The best way to figure this out is to take the stock off, make a jig that fits at the back tang and floor plate screw (this acts to keep the two seperated the correct distance), then reassemble the gun with the stock off. My bet is everything will function correctly.
I have had to do this to several of my guns and even have gone so far as to drill out the stock and glass bed the jig in place so it acts like a second vertical strut so as to avoid this issue in the years to come.
Another thing to look out for is several restockers will leave out the metal cylinder that goes into the stock at the top tang screw. (sorry I cant remember what this is really called).

Good luck,
John

Dave Suponski
07-24-2010, 12:20 PM
Thanks John and I admire your politness....But you may dispense with the Mr.Suponski...That was my Dad....Please call me Dave....:)

Chuck Bishop
07-24-2010, 03:23 PM
Well, I very rarely am called Mr. Bishop so I kind of like the sound of it. :) Young Dr. Truitt is just being respectfull of his elders, that includes you and me, Suponski

Dave Suponski
07-24-2010, 03:47 PM
Thank You...Mr.Bishop....:p

Walter Arend
07-25-2010, 01:00 PM
Thank You, I will post the good news after I have it done.