PDA

View Full Version : XE FOX

Russ Jackson
12-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Did you ever walk into a Gun Shop and see something you just couldn't resist ? Well.............:) This is a 1919 Fox X. E. Grade ,the last pic. ,I through a Parker in also just so no one thinks I jumped ship ! Russ :)

Robin Lewis
12-07-2010, 06:44 PM
Nice, but how about some more of the Parker?

Dean Romig
12-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Yeah Russ, that's another of those crazy, a bit overboard Remington Parkers that keep popping up (like your CHE 20) so please show us the whole thing..... please?

It looks like a 20 or a 28 compared to the Fox.

Hey... wait a minute! That is your CHE 20 :bowdown:

Rich Anderson
12-07-2010, 08:17 PM
Nice Fox there Russ, It's no Parker but still a nice gun:whistle: I would have to rid it of the white line spacers on the recoil pad and pistol grip.

I assume this is a 12?

Dave Suponski
12-07-2010, 08:27 PM
Did it come home with you?

Dean Romig
12-07-2010, 08:36 PM
It must have Dave, it's in the same picture with his CHE 20.

Russ Jackson
12-07-2010, 09:16 PM
Dean ,You are very perceptive ! Yes thats the CHE 20 ,I was sort of doing a comparison ,and really ,there is none ! To be honest though the Fox is really a nice gun and feels really nice in your hands !Yeah Russ, that's another of those crazy, a bit overboard Remington Parkers that keep popping up (like your CHE 20) so please show us the whole thing..... please?

It looks like a 20 or a 28 compared to the Fox.

Hey... wait a minute! That is your CHE 20 :bowdown:

Russ Jackson
12-07-2010, 09:19 PM
Did it come home with you?

Hi Dave ,Yes it did !

Russ Jackson
12-07-2010, 09:28 PM
Nice Fox there Russ, It's no Parker but still a nice gun:whistle: I would have to rid it of the white line spacers on the recoil pad and pistol grip.

I assume this is a 12?

Good Evening Richard ,To be honest ,I have never really been too keen on the white line spacers either ,although they really look pretty good on this gun for some reason ,at least to my eye ,I actually got a notorized letter with this gun and the pad and little bit of the odd comb are actually mentioned in specific in the letter but not the white line spacers ?? As they say ,you just never know for sure about some of these things , the measurements are perfect to the letter ,the only questionable ,is the Beaver tail forend and the checking is absolutly identical to the stock checking ,so ,I hope it is correct ,I was suprised when I found it and thought it kind of neat ! Russ

Dave Suponski
12-07-2010, 09:47 PM
Russ, In that case....CONGRATULATIONS!!!! You Foxy old guy you!....:rolleyes: Seriously go over and register on the Fox site. They are a great bunch of guy's. Many of them are duel member's of the PGCA and Fox Collectors. They are very helpful and I'm sure they would love to see picture's of that wonderful gun.

charlie cleveland
12-07-2010, 10:46 PM
pretty little fox russ....dont find to many like that no more....almost owned a fox 20 ga one time ...maybe some day.....charlie

Russ Jackson
12-07-2010, 11:04 PM
Hi Charlie ,Thank You !! I don't have any Fox Twenties to sell ,or I would get one out to you like that little G Grade 20 ! :whistle:

Don Kaas
12-08-2010, 11:30 AM
From whom was the "notorized letter" ?

charlie cleveland
12-08-2010, 11:50 AM
you will have to look far and wide to find a fox that i would like better than the little 20 parker....ive handled quite a few guns in my time and i like the 20 gh parker the best so far...but that little 20 fox sure is a looker..if it handles and shoots like it looks it should be a keeper in my book....hope you get to take it on a all day hunt soon and tell us how the fox did.... charlie

Russ Jackson
12-08-2010, 12:10 PM
From whom was the "notorized letter" ?

Don ,I sent you a PM. Russ

Russ Jackson
12-08-2010, 12:13 PM
Hi Charlie ,I wish the Fox was a 20 ,It is a 12 Ga. Feels nice though ,not too heavy and a gun you could carry without it beating you up ! And every time ,I hear from you ,you mention how much you like that little G Grade and I am so happy we hung in there and you ended up with it ! It couldn't have ended up any better ! Russ

Francis Morin
12-14-2010, 02:15 PM
I've seen very few high grade AH Fox guns in my limited travels. But one at an area gun show really stood out, and it was a 16 gauge- not my favorite bore, but what an exquisite gun indeed. It was a DE grade with 28" Krupp barrels, ejectors, single trigger (selective) splinter forearm, straight grip and leather covered pad. The dealer let me handle it, even had snap caps so I could try the trigger and ejector system- Wow-- But I didn't have a spare $4750 rattling around in my Carharrt pockets so I had to pass it up.

I've only owned two Fox guns- an HE 12 "so called Super Fox" that was somewhat of a lunch box special, but deadly on passing tall geese and mallards with Federal coppered No 4 shot (prior to the steel shot laws) 32" barrels, about as heavy as a M-1 Garand but of course, better balanced.
I've replaced it with a 8 lb. LC Smith ejector 12 32" ventilated rib barrels, also F&F chokes- and it smacks the Tower pheasants and waterfowl as hard as the Fox, but at my age (70) is easily to handle.

Now other than the Fox Sterlingworth and the Parker Trojan, both fine boxlocks economy grade shotguns, with the Parker letter graded hammerless, as you move from the back of the Alphabet forward, the grades advance, vis: VH(E) to AAHE or even A-1 Special, plus the advancing numerical grade stamping as well, from 1 (PH-E) to 8 (A-1 Special) and if I have this wrong, please feel to correct.

But the AH Fox grade lettering system seems to run the other way- A(E) to F(E) I believe- here's what's confusing to me: Alpha, Bravo, Charlie, Delta (eliminate Echo) Foxtrot and Hotel-- My former HE 12 was by alphabetical order, a high grade gun, one click past the F grade 9and the recent Teddy Roosevelt F grade sold at auction)- but it resembled more a Sterlingworth as far as minor line engraving and frame shaping- very plain walnut but good gripping checking- but nothing like your fine XE 12-

Where was the X(E) grade in the Fox line up? Did Fox offer a special order grade like the Parker Invincible?

The gentleman to whom I sold the heavy 12 HE apparently has also decided it is too heavy, and he is not as stocky in build as I am. I passed on buying it back, as my next waterfowling double will be either a DH(E) or GH(E) Parker 10- std. 2 & 7/8" chambers 32" proof steel barrels, DT- either No 2 or No 3 frame. Santa- are you listening??:cool::cool:

Bill Murphy
12-14-2010, 05:18 PM
You will find the Parker 10 a hard one to find and selling for more than a Super Fox. There seems to be a flurry of Supers out there recently, but no sign of a steel barrel Parker 10.

Dave Suponski
12-14-2010, 05:26 PM
Several years ago a friend bought a very nice VHE 10 gauge 32" gun from the now defunct Elmira Arms Co. I would love to have that gun today.

Don Kaas
12-14-2010, 08:12 PM
Elmira Arms is not defunct... I saw both the Hartman Bros. last week. They just moved across the border to PA. Destry now has both a steel barreled Parker 10g GH 3 1/2" magnum and an A. H. Fox HE...

Bill Murphy
12-14-2010, 08:29 PM
Destry is a very slow moving but dedicated procurer of waterfowl guns. I, on the other hand, have seen almost every one of Destry's acquisitions before he purchased them and somehow let them pass. I am quite satisfied with my "big guns" and do not covet my friend's conquests. Well, maybe the Remington Magnum just a little.

Dave Suponski
12-14-2010, 09:02 PM
Good to know Don....My mistake . Do they have a website?

Robin Lewis
12-14-2010, 09:44 PM
http://elmira-arms-peaco.com

Chuck Bishop
12-14-2010, 09:58 PM
I talked to Richard at the Harrisburg Gun Show Sunday, his brother was at the Louisville show. They moved about 6 miles south to just within the Pa border.