PDA

View Full Version : English Setter breeders in Az

Chris Robenalt
03-06-2020, 12:18 PM
Good morning, I've been without my English setters for going on 2 years now. I bought mine from Sun Canyon Kennels in AZ 15 years ago. I heard the guy is no longer breeding due to health issues. I heard there may be breeders around Eloy, or Casa Grande. I prefer the smaller Llewellyn setter. Any help is appreciated!

Thx, Chris

Bruce Day
03-07-2020, 07:51 PM
Jornado produces nice Lewellins. They have a website. Located between Las Cruces and El Paso, NM. Traveling a distance to get a quality dog is inconsequential .

Chris Robenalt
03-07-2020, 11:21 PM
Thank you Bruce, Im looking to buy another in a little over a year when I retire.

Chris Robenalt
03-08-2020, 12:48 PM
Bruce, I checked Jornado's website out this morning, very impressed! Thanks again

Chris

Bruce Day
03-09-2020, 08:33 PM
Chris I started flying at the Eloy Airport then up at Williams AFB in Chandler. I learned to fly in the shadow of Picacho Peak and spent many weekends chasing quail between Eloy and Chandler.

The Jornado dogs look good for coping with warm weather.

Chris Robenalt
03-09-2020, 09:18 PM
I've hunted all those areas for quail, especially around Williams AFB. I mainly hunt the Superstition Mtn area all the way down to south of Florence St. Prison. Lots of cholla and rattlesnake, tough on dogs!

Bruce Day
03-15-2020, 06:33 AM
Here are my two. The setter is a Lewellin from Houdini Kennels in MN. The pointer is straight Elhew from Mel Pfeifle/ Elhew Kennels. Light or white dogs do better in heat or sun, for sure a factor in AZ . Also you can see them in the brush.

Mills Morrison
03-15-2020, 09:16 AM
Good luck on your search

Chris Robenalt
03-15-2020, 11:11 AM
Great looking dogs! My friend Phil Carr has 3 English pointers I've hunted behind when we were hunting Mearns. I enjoy watching his dogs work the Southern AZ terrain as much as taking the shot. A couple weeks ago while shooting Eurasions, we lost a few in the tall weeds and grass. A guy shooting close to us had his young Wire Hair find all our lost birds. I stood there in amazement watching her retrieve all 4 birds! A good dog really enhances bird hunting.

Eric Eis
03-15-2020, 11:37 AM
Great looking dogs! My friend Phil Carr has 3 English pointers I've hunted behind when we were hunting Mearns. I enjoy watching his dogs work the Southern AZ terrain as much as taking the shot. A couple weeks ago while shooting Eurasions, we lost a few in the tall weeds and grass. A guy shooting close to us had his young Wire Hair find all our lost birds. I stood there in amazement watching her retrieve all 4 birds! A good dog really enhances bird hunting.

I hunted last year without a dog (mine got retired) and it wasn't the same.

Chris Robenalt
03-15-2020, 12:29 PM
Eric, although my setters are gone, I still pack their collapsible Filson water bowl in my gear bag for the hunt. Then it feels like they're still with me in the field. I'll get another setter once I retire.