PDA

View Full Version : My son’s new puppy

Timothy Salgado
02-21-2020, 10:09 PM
I just wanted to share some photos of my son and daughter in law’s new Brittany puppy, Pippin. We picked him up Tuesday and he’s adjusting well to his new home and family.

Mike McKinney
02-21-2020, 10:25 PM
That’s a pretty pup, good luck and congrats!

Patrick Lien
02-22-2020, 01:31 AM
Gawd I love new dogs!

Dennis E. Jones
02-22-2020, 09:50 AM
Makes me miss my Britt's.

Gerald McPherson
02-22-2020, 11:03 AM
WOW!!!!

George Davis
02-24-2020, 12:35 PM
Extremely fond of the Brittany Spaniels!!! Great pets and hunters

Randy G Roberts
02-25-2020, 07:53 PM
Beautiful pup and I especially admire your name selection, this one must be destined for great things. Good luck and enjoy.

Ken Hill
02-25-2020, 09:00 PM
Are you sure it's your sons??? :-)

Ken

Timothy Salgado
02-26-2020, 03:27 PM
Yes,
He's my son's and daughter-in-law's. My wife and I have been going over every few days when my son is working, to assist with the house-breaking, etc. I did arrange the purchase from a friend of mine, who had bred his female to a male out of Spring Hill Kennels, that is used at a hunting preserve in Northern Pa. He's been a fun pup so far and I look at it as laying the groundwork for my next puppy in a year or two, particularly if I go back to a pointing breed.
Tim

I'll post a couple more pics as he's very photogenic.

Timothy Salgado
02-26-2020, 03:30 PM
Here’s a couple more pics

Ed Norman
03-04-2020, 06:58 PM
great looking puppy, I am NOT showing these pictures to my wife:) she likes our brittany so much, she is "thinking" out loud now about another brittany.

Timothy Salgado
05-06-2020, 10:36 AM
Just an update on my son’s puppy, Pippin. He’s growing well, and I mess with him in my yard when they visit. They’ve taken him to a local game preserve area hiking and starting to swim in the Jordan Creek there, nearby where I pheasant hunt. I did a pheasant tail on a fishing pole thing with him and he has the pointing instinct, I told my son it’s time to start going to the fields with him on a check cord for some field exposure. Not much of a retrieving instinct, but he has the chase and drive and likes to run. Here’s a few photos.
Take Care,
Tim.

Dean Romig
05-06-2020, 10:39 AM
A handsome little guy. He's definitely ready for starting field training. Has he been introduced the right way to loud noises?

keavin nelson
05-06-2020, 03:06 PM
Nice looking Brit! Sometimes they need a little encouragement on the retrieve. Makes me miss mine!

Timothy Salgado
05-06-2020, 03:50 PM
Dean, I have been getting him accustomed to noises and they usually visit once or twice a week, I usually make a loud sharp clap of my hands occasionally and he seems fine with it. With my two late German pointers , I introduced gunfire with a starter pistol in conjunction with them retrieving a dummy while they ran in the field and they’d associate the shot to the retrieve. Not sure how I’ll do it with Pippin as he’s not much of a retriever at this point, we’ll see how it goes as we take a few trips to the fields. I always fired the first shots behind my back at a distance as my dogs ran out for the retrieve. I can tell that Pippin is different than my late German dogs, so we’ll be going slow.
Take Care,
Tim.

John Dallas
05-06-2020, 03:59 PM
I Think the best way to avoid gun shyness is to lightly bang a pot and Pan when the dog is eating. Start in a different room from where the dog is with a very light tap. Assuming there is no issue move closer and hit the pan a little harder. After 3 or 4 days I think you can pretty well be assured the dog will not be gun shy.

Dean Romig
05-06-2020, 05:25 PM
With my two Brittanies and a Lab and then with Grace, when she was a puppy while she was eating I would slap two blocks of hardwood together about 20 feet from them.

It is important that you don't look for a reaction from the dog because they WILL react if you do. Just act nonchalant like it is a normal occurrence and they get used to the noise very quickly.

Timothy Salgado
05-06-2020, 06:23 PM
That’s how I used to do it with my other dogs walk along, throw the dummy, keep walking and fire the blank behind my back and keep moving. I like the two pieces of wood idea, I need to cut a board for the bottom of one of my wife’s planters, I’ll make a couple of clappers with the spare wood. I make a loud crack when I clap, I do that a lot to chase the crows away for my yard, they search out the songbird nests and one tore apart a rabbit nest last week that was in one of my wife’s flower beds. The crows roost in neighboring Bethlehem Pa , and in the Winter you can see them head out like a squadron of fighter planes and return before dark.
Thanks for the ideas,
Tim.

todd allen
05-21-2020, 09:27 PM
I have a plastic cap gun. While at play, I pop off a few caps. Next, out comes a Stevens .22/.410, and some CB Longs.
The Stevens is the perfect starter gun, because I can switch to the .410 barrel for live pigeons. The dog becomes accustomed to seeing me with a long gun, so the switch to the Parker 12 gauge is pretty seamless.
Knock on wood, I haven't had any issues with gun shyness in 3 decades. I'm working with a rescue GSP baby girl right now, and we sailed past gun intro, and are now working on the retrieving skills.
I would post pics, but hearts would melt like butter on pancakes.

todd allen
05-21-2020, 09:31 PM
Here’s a couple more pics

That is one cute little pup! Congrats!