View Full Version : Parker Quality P.H.

Bruce Day
12-03-2010, 10:41 AM
Owned since about 1971.

First in a series of the grades.

Harry Collins
12-03-2010, 10:45 AM
Bruce,

Great looking PHE. Is this your first Parker? I can't remember who had a PH as their first. I was thinking it was you.

Harry

Dean Romig
12-03-2010, 10:58 AM
Interesting this thread should be under the "Parker Engravers and Engraving" heading... did you mean to post it under the "Parkers for Sale" heading?

Richard Flanders
12-04-2010, 04:06 PM
Gorgeous example. Tx Bruce

Austin W Hogan
12-06-2010, 09:07 AM
Charlie Green is shown examining my 32 inch - straight grip - 7 pound 3 ounce PH in Morris Baker's photo on page 19 of the current Winter 2010 Parker Pages.

Best, Austin

Dean Romig
12-06-2010, 09:33 AM
Austin, at 7lb., 3oz. with 32" barrels I'm guessing it's built on a 1-frame?

Bruce Day
12-06-2010, 09:51 AM
Austin, I saw that photo. I don't think I've seen the gun, but at 7/3, its extraordinarily light for a 12/32. The closest my guns come to that is a 12/32 ( straight grip) at 7/15, which I thought was light. Can you describe more about the gun, is it twist or fluid steel and how did Parker get it so light? I'm not saying the barrels are thin, but are they thinner than usually seen, say about .030 or a little under? I assume its a 1 frame gun but you know these one frames vary widely in weight.

Thanks for the extra copies of the Winter 2010 PP's. I have received a number of emails about the Parker Hawes article, as I'm sure you have also. I believe its the most comprehensive work on them so far.....too bad we didn't have that wonderful 28 page brochure at the time of writing, that only surfaced when I mentioned the article to a well known western fly fishing historian and rod builder. He said that a number of years ago, he bought a little used P-H rod in case with all paperwork, bill of sale, original pamphlet, from a person in western Nebraska who used to fish northern Colorado and who had purchased the rod new in 1934.

Best regards,
Bruce

Dean Romig
12-06-2010, 10:15 AM
Bruce, do "we" (the PGCA) actually have the brochure or a copy of it? Will we get to see it in it's entirety in an article in the near future or can we ask that an e-mail attachment be made available to us?

Dean

Bruce Day
12-06-2010, 11:06 AM
I don't know what the PGCA has or owns, Dean.

We may do a follow on PP article sometime, hadn't thought about it but as I find out more, maybe so.

Dean Romig
12-06-2010, 11:22 AM
I don't know what the PGCA has or owns, Dean.

I should have been more specific; The brochure you make mention of that the collector in Colorado told you about is the one I was referring to.

We may do a follow on PP article sometime, hadn't thought about it but as I find out more, maybe so

It would be great if enough new knowledge surfaces as a result of the article to support a "Part II" article.

Thanks Bruce,

Dean

Bruce Day
12-06-2010, 11:36 AM
I don't know if the PGCA owns or has the brochure Dean. I asked around before writing the PP article and the only one that ever surfaced was a two page flyer that Mike Kobos was kind to send me and which was owned by him, not the PGCA. The only artifacts that I am aware that are owned by the PGCA are the John Browning AH 12ga gun and a high grade, rather infirm, hammer 10ga. The new 28pg brochure takes the marketing information used by Parker for the P-H rod to a new level and is far beyond what I had seen Parker do before with the exception of the Remington Parker skilled hands catalog.

When writing the Parker Hawes article, we had only a few examples of rods to inspect and photograph. Any Hawes rod is rare and any Parker-Hawes rod is rarer still. Perhaps you are correct, that more will be forthcoming now. The small, lightweight examples for very light lines are intruiging and I'd like the opportunity to inspect those.

Dean Romig
12-06-2010, 11:40 AM
Thanks Bruce.

Austin W Hogan
12-06-2010, 06:59 PM
Bruce; It is a two frame gun, 207469, with original unstruck weight 3 pounds 15 ounces.
It balances precisely at the hinge pin and is a very sleek gun, with a silhouette much like a 30 inch 16.
I have two other "light" 12's with nearby s/n; a 30 inch VH at 7 pounds 2ounces; 3 pounds 13 unstruck, and a 28 inch DH 6 pounds 15 ounces 3 pounds 9 unstruck. These are both 1 1/2 frames. The missing E accounts for most of this; stamping that E after the H adds 3 - 4 ounces.
With respect to your original post; we noted in an article in PP a couple of years back that PH (E) engraving was unchanged through the production run.

Best, Austin

James Brown
12-07-2010, 04:56 PM
Col. Day: " The only artifacts that I am aware that are owned by the PGCA are the John Browning AH 12 ga gun and a high grade, rather infirm, hammer 10 ga. "
I hope they still have a sorta rough 14 ga backaction (PP vol. 11, issue 4, page 29).
James

Bruce Day
12-07-2010, 05:28 PM
Yes, they do, I had forgotten about that. I remember seeing one backaction that wobbled and would take some effort to get to the standards most people expect for display guns. Don't recall it being a 14ga but it probably was. I haven't seen these guns for a couple years, maybe more. The Browning gun has been shown around since it was repaired and fixed up.

Bill Murphy
12-07-2010, 06:05 PM
I had recently heard or read that some kind of inventory of the PGCA collection was being contemplated. Where are we on that project? There are at least a couple of people on this thread who also appear on the "masthead". Again, where are we on that project?

Dean Romig
12-07-2010, 08:24 PM
Personally Bill, I don't know. I haven't asked. I do recall however, that something along the lines of 'taking an inventory of PGCA property' had been alluded to.

Dave Suponski
12-07-2010, 08:29 PM
As of right now I don't know either. But I hear something is in the work's stay tuned.

Harry Collins
12-08-2010, 08:49 AM
Dr Gaddy and my burst barrels made the display circuit for a while. Can they still be accounted for?

Harry