PDA

View Full Version : Remington Classic Doubles

Richard Flanders
07-23-2009, 10:48 PM
Our favorite dealer in Anchorage is carrying the Remington Classic Doubles ammo. I picked up a bunch of #5 for $26.60/box. How much are folks paying for it down in "America" and how do you like it ?? I'm looking forward to trying it. It is now the only non-tox ammunition available up here that will work in vintage guns.

Greg Franklin
07-25-2009, 12:56 PM
I have not seen it yet, down here in southwestern "America", but will look forward to it. You aren't going to use that ammo on your pet grouse are you?? :duck:

Don Kaas
07-25-2009, 02:28 PM
Hevi-shot Classic Doubles, we know. I used a few boxes of it last year and it worked fine. Remington Classic Doubles, that I've never heard of...

Richard Flanders
07-25-2009, 05:51 PM
Ooops. It is Hevi-shot CDoubles that I have. I was thinking Remington when I bought it for some reason and didn't even read the box carefully except to see that it was #5 shot and good for vintage guns. Mind was elsewhere I guess. Seems the price is better than MSRP at any rate and lower than from Midway + no shipping. He had it in every gauge 28-12. Nice that SOMEONE carries it up here; I just have to drive 350miles to get it. Definitely not for my grouse buddies here in the yard.... maybe for the fox that is harassing them though..

Don Kaas
07-25-2009, 06:55 PM
Richard- go to the Hevi-shot website, there is a $10 a box rebate offer limit two boxes or $25 for a flat.

Rich Anderson
07-25-2009, 07:14 PM
Rich-Are you referring to Great Northern Guns in Anchorage? I was in there looking around after a hunting trip to the Taylor Mtns and found a nice Pre 64 fwt in of all calibers .243. They were nice people to deal with.

I'd save the Hevi-shot for waterfowl and use a 55gr NBT on the fox:)

Richard Flanders
07-25-2009, 08:49 PM
$25/flat would suit me just fine. Trouble is you can't ship it up here, and certainly not for $1.60/box. That's why I was so glad to find it in Anchorage for what I did. I'll be back down there Tuesday and maybe should get some more. Damn... I see the rebate purchase has to be made after Aug 1... I'll be 2 days early. Have to work something out with Joe and Trigg on that one... So, what is a flat? 10 boxes? I bought 9 the other day.

Rich: it is Great Northern Guns. He gets some awesome guns in. He just got a 1889 vintage 1886 Win .45-90 with just about 100% colors on the sides and maybe a 97%+ gun otherwise. Been leaning in a closet in Anchorage, NOT even in a case, for 50? yrs or more. Colors are worn off the receiver bottom so it's been carried but has almost 0 wear on the slide and such so has been shot very very little. Unbelievable gun. I have never seen one with such colors. I'd have said it was a Turnbull gun. To compete with Sportsmans Warehouse, which isn't too difficult nowadays, he is catering to specialty shooters and selling target shotshells and shot and powder for good prices and giving and additional break to regular customers. I wouldn't dream of going to Anchorage without stopping in there. I just got Destry 7 boxes of mint paper Super-X 3.5" 10ga magnums and some old paper 12ga shells for myself. He has stacks of vintage unused 12ga brass hulls in flats of 50ea.... and I'm not sure he doesn't have some brass 8ga. hulls. I love getting into the back trailer full of goodies. Need .44 rimfire Henry ammo... he's got it. And lots of stuff like .700 nitro and other large African ammo. Anyone have a clue what military aluminum 2.5"? .410 shotshells are worth?

Maybe I'll load up a ball or some buckshot in my .69gal 1842 Springfield for that pesky fox...

Jim Williams
07-26-2009, 03:04 AM
Ooops. It is Hevi-shot CDoubles that I have. I was thinking Remington when I bought it for some reason..

Probably because Remington was the original company to bring Hevi-Shot (the first version) to market in a factory loaded shell?

Richard Flanders
07-26-2009, 06:53 AM
Thanks Jim. I knew I had Remington on my mind for some legitimate reason.