PDA

View Full Version : No second shot

William Stevenson
12-02-2010, 01:56 AM
Used my 12 ga. Reproduction on ducks this morning and it reminded me of a problem I've had with it since it bought it. Sometimes on an overhead shot. the second barrel will not fire. This only happens with overhead shots and I think the barrel selector moves a bit and jams the trigger. This is just a WAG because I'm not familiar with the inner workings of the gun. It happens on about one out of ten overhead shots only. It's enough of a problem to make me want to not hunt with it. I need to have it fixed. Has anyone experienced this hang-up with a SST gun? Any suggestions? (I know, convert it to double trigger) All my guns are single trigger so I need to fix it. Help! Bill Stevenson

Kenny Graft
12-02-2010, 09:04 AM
Most all SST problems are due to dried greece/oil. Proper cleaning in order. Use a smith that will not booger up your gun. See my thread scarce 12ga repro's page 3 for info of good smith....thanks Kenny Graft SXS ohio....(-:

Chuck Heald
12-02-2010, 01:57 PM
Many single trigger designs include a bobweight to either block a "bounce fire" or switch the trigger to the other sear. I'm not familiar with the Repro single trigger mechanism, but I'd be willing to bet your problem has to do with the weight not returning when the gun is pointed up. That could conceiveably be from dried grease restricting movement as Kenny suggests.

Best to consult a gunsmith familiar with the Repro single trigger.

Harry Collins
12-02-2010, 02:13 PM
Bill,

I'm new to single triggers. My cousin gave me her fathers Parkers and one of them has a Miller single trigger. I paid big bucks to have it work and it still fires both barrels most of the time when the left barrel is selected. One thing I was told is that most old single trigger problems relate to tension on the tang screws. I was at a friends house this past weekend and was handed an AYA that would not fire the left barrel. I could see the rear tang screw was not indexed. I took it home and indexed that screw and tighteden the top tang screw one full turn. It would fire the right barrel but not the left. Backed off the top tang screw one half turn and proceeded to run a half a box of shells through the gun without a hickup. I hope you find the problem.

Harry

Dave Suponski
12-02-2010, 02:13 PM
I was alway's under the impression that the Repro single trigger was a copy of the Parker two screw single trigger.

Greg Baehman
12-02-2010, 06:12 PM
Problems with ST Repros, are in most cases, solved by a thorough cleaning of the ST mechanism, blowing out all the ST components with compressed air and then finished out with a light oiling---this has worked for me and many others that have experienced issues with them.

William Stevenson
12-02-2010, 06:20 PM
I had the Gun cleaned and checked By Andy of "Andy's Gun Shop" in upstate New York because I was told, and he advertised, experience in Mod. 12 Winchesters and Parkers. It did the same thing when I got it back, no second barrel occasionally on overhead shots. I got it back just before Duck season last year. I think it is a copy of the origional Parker single trigger. Any one know a gunsmith that I can call to find out if they can actually make or fix parts instead of just cleaning it? Andy has closed his shop for health reasons so there is no help there. I live in southern Louisiana, no smiths here will touch it. Does anyone think it could be the stock itself getting in the way because it got wet? Bill

Greg Baehman
12-02-2010, 06:32 PM
If a proper cleaning did not solve the problem I, without hesitation, would highly recommend you send the gun to:

Jack Haugh
4421 N. Milan Rd.
Milan, IN 47031
812/654-3209

Jack has decades of experience with Parkers and is a magician at fixin' 'em. Google him to get a taste of his credentials...he's a gunsmith's gunsmith.

Dave Fuller
12-08-2010, 09:18 PM
Sometimes the barrel selector can get jimmied a bit and one toggle back and forth will set right. Its probably dirty though, good advice given above.