PDA

View Full Version : Gomer Pyle's Parker

Ed Blake
11-30-2010, 11:38 AM
Yup, that's right. The other night I was watching an Andy Griffith rerun about the time the Feds sent a gold shipment through Mayberry. Gomer was deputized and given a SxS shotgun, and sure enough, it was a Parker as clear as day. Don't know the grade, but the barrels looked on the long side. Might have been a 34" 28 gauge DHE, but who knows.

Dave Suponski
11-30-2010, 11:49 AM
:shock:

Dean Romig
11-30-2010, 11:50 AM
You sure it wasn't a 32" 28 ga. Sterlingworth with the recessed hinge pin?

Dave Suponski
11-30-2010, 11:57 AM
:shock::shock::shock:

James Brown
11-30-2010, 01:18 PM
Did they give him any shells for it??

Ed Blake
11-30-2010, 02:48 PM
One, but Andy made him keep it in his pocket.

Bill Murphy
12-01-2010, 12:12 PM
Does anyone know how we can see the show without buying a DVD of the season? I have watched the dove hunt a few times but don't remember where I found it. The episode with the gold shipment is "A Black Day for Mayberry", 1963.

Jay Gardner
12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Bill,

Just for s's & g's I did a little digging and found which episode it was but I was not able to find the actual eposide online. Try YouTube? Some of the eposides are there but I couldn't find this particular one.

Good luck,

JDG

Christopher Lien
12-01-2010, 01:03 PM
I remember seeing that episode about a year ago. Gomer was running around waving a Parker that Andy had given him to help out with armored car guard duty, and yes, it had very lonnnnng barrels... Was probably Nash B's long lost 34" Parker fowler...:D

CSL

Frank Cronin
12-01-2010, 01:10 PM
Bill,

The episode is available on You Tube. It is in three parts. I included the times to fast forward with Gomer handling the Parker.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WK8ugV9iQvI

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=OHlWCqsg6jc&feature=related
6:38

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KsNYKIZjogU&feature=related
2:43

Shazam!

Does anyone know how we can see the show without buying a DVD of the season? I have watched the dove hunt a few times but don't remember where I found it. The episode with the gold shipment is "A Black Day for Mayberry", 1963.

Mark Landskov
12-01-2010, 07:10 PM
A few years ago, the Commandant of The Marine Corps promoted Gomer to Lance Corporal and presented a certificate of same to Jim Nabors.

Francis Morin
12-01-2010, 07:13 PM
I remember seeing that episode about a year ago. Gomer was running around waving a Parker that Andy had given him to help out with armored car guard duty, and yes, it had very lonnnnng barrels... Was probably Nash B's long lost 34" Parker fowler...:D

CSL
_________________________________ Gomer with only one shell for his Parker- and Barney Fife with one shell for his wheelgun--I do know of one fairly current movie where the Parker is mentioned, in an oblique manner- John Gresham's novel "Runaway Jury" the plot is a civil suit against a Southern tobacco company- but in the Hollywood version, with Dustin Hoffman, Gene Hackman and John Clusak-- the plot is a civil suit against a Southern gun mfg. and at one point the President/CEO of that firm is shooting skeet, you can see the recessed hingepin of the side-by he is shooting- he calls pull- hits the clay, opens the shotgun and the spent shell ejects, and he makes a point about a 70 year old shotgun still being reliable, unlike some people of that age he knew- Had to be a Parker-:bigbye:

Pete Lester
12-02-2010, 04:57 AM
After watching these episodes I reminded again of the great talent in acting, scripting and producing TV shows of the 50's and 60's. It seems very true that today we have 200 channels, 24/7 with nothing entertaining to watch. You have to wonder how any Parker came to be a prop gun and when used as one had it been made inoperable for safety reasons. Even more interesting to know where it is today? To me that gun has interesting provenance from it's use in the show. Sorry but I doubt I could resist yelling "Shazam" everytime I took a bird with it :)

Dean Romig
12-02-2010, 05:45 AM
I wonder how many times during rehersal it slipped off that gas pump and clattered to the pavement :shock:

Bill Murphy
12-02-2010, 12:36 PM
Yup, a Parker, and the one in the last scene seems to have shorter barrels than the one in earlier scenes. Sure can't tell the grade or configuration except that the last scene gun seems to be a large bore, 16 or 12, splinter forend, and 28" or 30" barrels.

Dean Romig
12-02-2010, 12:48 PM
I think they hacksawed the barrels to make it easier for Gomer to get into and out of the cruiser with it.

Hmmm.... this sheds new light of why so many Parkers have shorter barrels than when they left Meriden.