PDA

View Full Version : Nine out of Ten Members prefer doubles...

Mark Vollinger
11-30-2010, 10:09 AM
This is photo up for auction at Cowans. I can't tell if any of them are Parkers.

Dean Romig
11-30-2010, 10:48 AM
I guess we have to assume all those guns are empty :eek:

What are the members' names?

Bobby Cash
11-30-2010, 09:07 PM
I guess we have to assume all those guns are empty :eek:

Judging by the last picture I posted, http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2817 I'm guessing it's an old photo of a Fox Collectors Association meeting.:biglaugh:

David Holes
11-30-2010, 09:43 PM
they look zipped up to me

Francis Morin
12-01-2010, 07:37 AM
Judging by the last picture I posted, http://parkerguns.org/forums/showthread.php?t=2817 I'm guessing it's an old photo of a Fox Collectors Association meeting.:biglaugh: very possibly so, except the lanky gent in right front row holding a pumpgun. Our brothers in Foxism may have lowered their standards just a tad, which is, of course, their right- as far as the fly front ventilation situation, my guess is that when in competition and $ on the line, other items of "gun" nature often slip from consideration- shades perhaps of MCRD San Diego and the well-known chant about rifles and guns!!:eek::eek::nono::nono::nono::nono:

Dean Romig
12-01-2010, 08:35 AM
What is MCRD San Diego?

Fred Preston
12-01-2010, 09:48 AM
It's the West Coast version of PI; also known as Boot Camp where one learns the proper nominclature for the tools for fightin' and funnin'.

Dean Romig
12-01-2010, 10:11 AM
Right... like I said in the other thread, "This is my rifle, this is my gun - This is for fightin' and this is for fun."

First time I read that was in "Guadal Canal Diary".

Bobby Cash
12-01-2010, 10:40 AM
It would appear that the gentleman in the back row, third from the right is in the process of assuming the "Fox Photo Posture".

Francis Morin
12-01-2010, 12:22 PM
Yup- MCRD San Diego- where i spent 19 weeks of fun in the sun in the early 60's- three weeks of that up at Pendleton on the Matthews rifle range- short week-end base liberty after we graduated, went from 83 TURDS- Trainees Undergoing Recruit Discipline- to 51 at graduation.

If you saw the Stanley Kubrick movie "Full Metal Jacket" that was what it was like, except that was filmed at Parris (not Paris) Island of the coast of the Carolinas. R. Lee Ermey, the DI and Gunny Sgt. (E-7) who ended up dead in the head (lavatory to non USMC and Naval personnel) at the hands of Pvt. Gomer Pyle and a M-14.

The training and mind bending was exact, even the mention of USMC (section 8 discharged) Charles Whitman and his devastating accuracy from the Texas Tower tragedy- all Marines are riflemen and 0311 MOS initially, even if they end up in the Press Corps op.s as did the movie character "Rafterman"--

R. Lee Ermey, the Gunny of History Channel's "Mail Call" and "Lock and Load" was actually a DI, 1964-65 and a S/Sgt. (E-6) but billeted at MCRD San Diego.

I can close my eyes and still see the Platoon Commander Gy/Sgt. Dunn and the two DI's- also my PMI on the rifle range that let me wear an eye patch over my left eye on pre-qual and qual days- 243/250 with the M-1. Fair, but not like Gunny Carlos Hathcock, our legendary "White Feather" who dinged in a 248/250 at PI in 1958 and went on in the USMC Match Rifle team to set a record yet to be equalled at Camp Perry 1000 yard range.

We flew out to Lindbergh Field at San Diego, boarded the battleship grey WW11 buses and were driven to MCRD- with the famed yellow foorprints painted onto the grinder-At night, when the DI's were drilling us, the roar of the jets from Lindbergh Field often drown out their cadence calls.

FYI- the actor who played the ill-fated part of Pvt. Pyle in the Kubrick movie now stars as Det. Bobby Goren on Law and Order- Criminal Intent.:rolleyes::cool::cool: