PDA

View Full Version : new to parker's

johnmac
11-28-2010, 02:09 PM
Hello to all....

I'm more of a mil-surp collector but was given this Parker double barrel with hammers. the barrel is a very ornate damascus pattern (but heavily coated in rust) and the reciever, screws, and all other metal parts are heavily engraved. I'm trying to find out some info on it as the markings are different than the ones posted on the identification pages of this site.
It's in pretty rough shape and i'm trying form an opinion as whether or not it is worth restoring or should i just get rid of it? I'm not even sure if it's the real deal.

Thanks,
John

calvin humburg
11-28-2010, 02:38 PM
Johnmac i'm not to knowelagble but it looks like it could be parker bros how bought some picts. of the side plates and barrels is it a 10 guage, looks like a 4 frame. ch

johnmac
11-28-2010, 03:01 PM
I will post some more pictures later. Right now the gun in In 50 pieces. I'm trying to clean it. It is in horrible shape. Got her with no stock its broken off right In the middle of the pistol grip. Unfortunately that is all the wood that came with. It sat in a garage near the ocean for no less Than 60 years So the beautiful damascus barrel ain't so beautiful at the moment. I'm not sure on the best way to clean it, but I'm still having a go at it.

Robert Rambler
11-28-2010, 03:15 PM
30321 was a
GRADE, D3
ACTION TYPE, T
EXTRAS 0
STOCK, CAPPED PISTOL
BORE, 10
BARRELS, 32in

johnmac
11-28-2010, 03:29 PM
30321 was a
GRADE, D3
ACTION TYPE, T
EXTRAS 0
STOCK, CAPPED PISTOL
BORE, 10
BARRELS, 32in

Thank you very much. However I only know what the bore and barrel info means. What do you mean by grade d3? I was really hoping someone could tell me the age.
Was this a rare gun? I'm trying to decide whether to keep at it or trash the project.

Thanks again
John

Robert Rambler
11-28-2010, 03:51 PM
Your gun was built in 1883.
Click the PGCA HOME link in the upper left corner
find "Parker Grades" in left hand column
scroll down to grade 3/D, there you should find pictures that look like your gun.HTH:)

johnmac
11-28-2010, 04:46 PM
Fantastic. Thank you all who commented. You have saved me much time! I now know what to do with it.... Its going back to a different garage for another 60 years!

Thanks again fellas
John

Bill Murphy
11-30-2010, 12:32 PM
A #4 frame Grade 3 hammer gun is a very valuable collector Parker. Before you give up on it, you should show us more pictures of all parts. Several of our members here would be interested in restoring such a gun.

johnmac
11-30-2010, 04:10 PM
Alright I've received lots of pm's on this so when I get back home (Thursday evening ) I'll post a barrage of photos for you guys.

Thanks
John

Richard Flanders
12-01-2010, 10:06 AM
No, not the garage again! Not near the ocean!! Not for a gun that desirable! Someone will restore it... Looks like the bbls do not have the same S/N as the gun?

Dean Romig
12-01-2010, 10:23 AM
Probably the order number Rich.

Bill Murphy
12-01-2010, 12:44 PM
Good catch, Dean. 17,640 is the order number range of guns in the 30,000 era. The serial number on the barrels would be on the left side of the barrel lug on a three lug top action gun. In my opinion, the barrels will match. Six pounds, two ounces, wow.

Richard Flanders
12-01-2010, 01:36 PM
Thanks Dean. I thought that was a possibility also. I've not even handled a gun with an order number on the bbls. Still a newb here. This gun deserves a restoration. Look forward to seeing someone get ahold of it and taking it on. Absolutely amazing what comes out of the weeds, eh?

John Liles
12-03-2010, 08:36 PM
I'm guessing by the apparent alien abduction of the OP, that the weed whacker has performed it's function!

johnmac
12-03-2010, 09:15 PM
No I'm sorry fellas I got home and have been sooo Damn busy with the girlfriend and Christmas shopping And all sorts of other crap .... I'll get some photos up asap.

johnmac
12-03-2010, 10:13 PM
alrighty.... snapped a few shots for ya....

johnmac
12-03-2010, 10:15 PM
more

johnmac
12-03-2010, 10:17 PM
more2

johnmac
12-03-2010, 10:19 PM
alrighty..... I took apart the screws that i could get out without damaging them and lightly cleaned some of it. the previous owner attempted to dis assemble it with no success.... anyway.....
also, i had the hammers off and on the inside they are serialed to match...

anymore shots or angles? questions or what?

well?

johnmac
12-04-2010, 02:46 AM
does anyone see a chance for restoration here?

These are not really my "cup of tea" like i said, I'm strictly a mil-surp guy.

I was thinking about putting it up on GB.... any ideas?

charlie cleveland
12-04-2010, 09:56 AM
johniemac...if the gun was mine i would try to restore it....i think it would be a challenge but worth knowing thatthe old gun was shootable again.....charlie

Gary Carmichael Sr
12-04-2010, 10:05 AM
Just looking at what is left of this old lady I figure around 5-10000 to get it right if it is possible to restore it at all! do not know the condition of the inside of barrels or wall thickness. Maybe the lower end if a stock and forend were available. I sold a D-grade 32" 10ga 2 years ago at vintigers for less than 3000 and it was a good shooter. Maybe a parts gun ?

David Holes
12-04-2010, 11:16 AM
If you can find the forend iron would be a big help. I think GB is a great idea because somebody will want it for parts.

johnmac
12-04-2010, 12:00 PM
If you can find the forend iron would be a big help. I think GB is a great idea because somebody will want it for parts.

The chances of me finding the forend are 0%. I bought this gun in a lot from a contractor friend of mine. Originally it was left in a historical house that he bought decades ago for restoration. He said the sellers left all the stuff they did'nt feel like tossing out.

The ironic part is that he thought the gun was worthless and the only reason that he did no put it into the trash years ago, was that he figured he would get into trouble for tossing a shotgun into the garbage can for pick up... luckily I came along and saved whats left of it...

John

johnmac
12-04-2010, 12:03 PM
johniemac...if the gun was mine i would try to restore it....i think it would be a challenge but worth knowing thatthe old gun was shootable again.....charlie

I would love to see this old boy restored. and yes it would be a challenge, I would take it on myself if it were an old Mauser or Garand. However I have restored rifles in similar if not worse condition, However I have never messed with a damascus barrel......

John

George Lander
12-05-2010, 12:43 AM
johnmac: Your D Grade hammergun with the scalloped breech balls is a rareity in 10 gauge on a #4 frame & 32 inch barrels. If the barrels are not in too bad a shape a good Parker gunsmith could restore it for you and then you would have a treasure. Think hard about it before parting it out. Where are you located? We can, most probably reccomend someone who would give you a fair estimate for restoration.

Best Regards, George

Mark Ouellette
12-05-2010, 09:28 AM
johnmac,

If it were mine I would NOT part it out! George is correct that a #4 frame D Grade is rare. The condition is however poor with surface pitting on most if not all of the metal. A complete restoration will be expensive.

For this rare Parker please consider the following options:
1. Restore is to like new condition and enjoy a rare Parker
2. Restore it to shootable condition and enjoy shooting a rough but rare Parker!
3. Sell it to somene who will restore it and enjoy it.

Respectfully,
Mark

johnmac
12-05-2010, 11:23 AM
George and BFT I appreciate the straight forwardness and help with my decision. My only questions now are what MIGHT a full restoration by a qualified Parker man?

and two, how rare and what could it potentially be worth to me..... Man decisions decisions decisions!

Anyway thanks to the both of you
John m.

Robin Lewis
12-05-2010, 12:14 PM
I would "guess" a full restoration would be $6000 plus. I see on Doug Turnbull's web site he estimates a full restoration of a VH at $3600 plus, so I would assume you couldn't get the additional engraving and a new stock for any less than $6000. And that may be very conservative.

If you are serious abut restoring it, I might suggest you contact him at www.turnbullmfg.com (http://www.turnbullmfg.com) and send him these pictures and get his estimate. That would be a good start and you could get other estimates if you think it worth while.

As to what it would be worth after the restoration, I suspect less than the cost to restore it. How much less I don't know. Other here may have better advise or opinions on its value.

johnmac
12-05-2010, 02:19 PM
Yeah.... That's what I was afraid of.... That's way too far out of my budget. Seems my choices are limited to passing it on. I just hope whoever ends up with it restores it rather than parting it out. I would love to see it restored....

Thanks again guys
John

johnmac
12-14-2010, 03:07 AM
OK.....I've done my homework and got a few estimates from Parker Pro restorers, and it would not be fair to my family to spend a few grand restoring a shotgun.... I can already hear it..."DO YOU REALIZE HOW MANY DIAPERS THAT COULD HAVE BEEN!!!" .

It will go on GB in one or two days. I PRAY that someone with the intention of restoring it wins it. I wish I had the cash to do it, but there is no way!

When it goes up I'll post a link to the page...(If that is not against the rules of this forum???)

Happy holidays to everyone!
John

johnmac
12-14-2010, 04:09 AM
OK here it is.....

http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/ViewItem.aspx?Item=206294229

Should i post this link anywhere else on the forum or what?

SOMEONE RESTORE THIS OLE BOY!!! I WANNA SEE IT SHINY!!! :shock:

Mark Ouellette
12-26-2010, 09:10 AM
Did one of our members buy this gun?

johnmac
12-26-2010, 12:09 PM
Did one of our members buy this gun?

I've asked him, but he has yet to respond at all.....