PDA

View Full Version : Missed a lot of shots

Pete Lester
11-27-2010, 05:32 PM
but still managed to bring something home. Scott was just as good as me today :rotf:

http://i269.photobucket.com/albums/jj57/nhshotgunner/100_0841.jpg

charlie cleveland
11-27-2010, 11:26 PM
duck dressing yum yum...those green heads are my favorites.plus the parker....good going charlie

Francis Morin
11-28-2010, 12:16 AM
We can take 6 ducks per day for our 60 day season here- which opened on Sat 9 Oct and closes Sun 6 Dec. Of those 6, only four can be mallards, and of those, only one can be a hen. On honkers, 2 per day, which is plenty. What shells were you using in that Parker? I usually use Federal No. 2 steel for ducks and OO BB steel for Canadas in the Model 12's- But if I am shooting either my 12 GHE or 12 Smith 2E 'semi-longrange', I use the Cabela's Classic Doubles non-toxic shells.

The Smith has 32" Nitro steel barrels, older R sized frame factory ventilated rib and does have 3" chambers (and the reinforcing Y shaped lug from the forearm loop back on the underside rib) and is tightly choked- also a deadly turkey gun. The Parker has 30" barrels and is on the No. 2 frame- so both guns have enough weight for recoil (plus red pads) and forward balance to work quite well for the pass shooting I love. I've tried layout and field layback blinds, but at 70, all those do is make a chiropractor busy. I also find I almost always shoot my best with any 12 bore I own when I am standing- sitting down it is harder to pivot, even with a swivel seat stool.

Best recipie for Canadas and flight mallards- pluck the birds after they have hung by the necks for two-three days in a cool area (garage, shed- but cat and raccoon proof) and then soak for 48 hours in a saurerkraut crock in cool water with Kosher salt and a bit of brown sugar mixed in- Pat dry, stuff cavities with good wet sauerkraut, with strips of bacon layered over the breasts, peppered to taste, tented with Reynolds wrap-

Place in covered roasting pan into a pre-heated oven at 450 degrees - secret is shorter time at higher temp and retaining moisture- usually one hour or less for mallards, about one and one/half hours for good sized Canadas- remove, let stand with foil on on draining board for about 10 minutes- if you can make a lateral cut into the breast with a very sharp carving knife, and the blood clings to the blade but does NOT drip off- you are just right.

Turkey and chicken- longer time and more at 350-375 degrees. Remove sauerkraut and save for later usage, slice and serve- save all the bones, remove the cooked meat scraps later, add those scraps to the cooled sauerkraut, add sliced apples and serve later as a salad dish with German hot bacon dressing (Marzettis brand) same as for a wilted lettuce with bacon salad- Not too shabby!!:bigbye:

calvin humburg
11-28-2010, 08:34 AM
like your avitar Pete good and orignal. very impressed how you ever got that picture from tv to avitar:bowdown:

Pete Lester
11-28-2010, 10:59 AM
Francis, being one big bird shy of limit is something I get over quickly once I get home and have to start cleaning them :-)

As far as the gun having enough weight for recoil...........the gun is an NH 10ga 3 frame that weighs 10 pounds 5 ounces. What recoil?

Shells were reloads, some Nice Shot and some Bismuth.

Your recipe sounds good.

Francis Morin
11-28-2010, 11:50 AM
Note- in case old "Wolfgang Hockey-Puck" is tuning in- bread, celery, sage based stuffings as in cooking domestic turkey and chicken, even possibly pheasant- tend to pull heat and moisture from the bird being roasted- and require longer cooking time- fine for aforementioned birds, but Nicht Zer Gut for waterfowl being roasted. The wet sauerkraut gives added moisture from inside the bird, and as wild birds, especially waterfowl, have little fat or grease residue, the kraut is re-usable if you like in the salad mix- I love sauerkraut, as I do brussels sprouts and cabbage too, but not everyone does.

I have had my eyes on a Lindner Daly std. 10 bore with DT and 32" Krupp barrels for some time- but at a shade over 8 lbs. my 3" 2E Smith is a keeper- If I do get a std. 10. I'll use RST 2 & 7/8" hulls and try NOT to miss-

I like the One shy of a limit theory- I call the first clean shot of the day my "pressure bird" hey, I'm battin' 1000, the coffee is still hot in the Stanley thermos, after that the rest is "gravy"--

If you care to breast out the bigger mallards and geese you take, I slice the thicker goose breasts like a filet cut and marinate in a covered bowl in buttermilk in the fridge for 48 hours- discard the purple remains of the buttermilk, pat dry, season with coarse black pepper, wrap with bacon and sliced onion and garnish with apple slices dredged in brown sugar. Wrap in two layers of Heavy Duty Reynolds wrap, broil 20 minutes each side on your grill- As the late Julia Child merged with Southern Belle Laura Deane might then say: "Bon Appetit, Y'all!"":cool:

Richard Flanders
11-28-2010, 12:12 PM
We tossed a nice fat little goose from my recent hunt with Destry onto the BBQ in a roaster pan yesterday to supplement the turkey; no stuffing or marinade or anything, just open, and let it cook and crackle away until it 'looked right'. It was awesome. I didn't touch the turkey; just had goose drumsticks and let everyone else have the turkey...

calvin humburg
11-28-2010, 02:29 PM
sounds yummy althoe i've never et it. oops I thought it said grouse sorry my mind don't always work up to par. I've ate goose cooked right its very good.