PDA

View Full Version : Any Plott Hound owners?

Dallas Passow
01-03-2020, 07:14 PM
Adopted a 1+ year old dog from Humane society a few months ago. Had no idea what he was until researching. Turns out he is a Plott Hound or mix thereof. he's a great dog. I don't hunt these days but curious if anyone hunts fowl with theirs since they were originally bred for hunting large game such as bears.

If there is anyone here with a Plott, any suggestions on chew toys. He can destroy even the toughest toys in minutes.

Reggie Bishop
01-03-2020, 07:46 PM
I don’t own one but here in the South they are used for running hogs and black bear. They are tough as nails! Good luck with the little guy!

Mike McKinney
01-03-2020, 11:01 PM
I live in Haywood County, NC where the Plott hound was supposedly developed by the Plott family. They were used primarily for bear, but now hogs and coon. The Plott hound is the NC dog. We have a Boykin and have found a few near indestructible toys at the pet store.

Gary Laudermilch
01-04-2020, 09:17 AM
Some company makes a simulated bone that is about 8" long x 2" in diameter and hollow. They will not splinter and are extremely hard. Dogs seem to love them and I have never found a dog that can destroy one. If they seem to loose interest in it put some peanut butter in the hollow. That will keep them busy for quite a while.