PDA

View Full Version : My first Parker

Ralph Miller
01-03-2020, 12:45 AM
I purchased my first Parker, an SBT, made in 1928. It is stamped a B grade with all matching S/N's, but it is not all original. At some point in time the forearm and rear stock were upgraded, with a beautiful hand carving, with leaves and acorn designs. The barrel was also re-polished, and then beautifully engraved and re-blued. The barrel engraving is larger dimensionally than on the receiver, but of similar design. There is a lot of engraving on the barrel, a lot of work and time was spent. The receiver still has its color case hardening, but is faded. Overall I would say the SBT is 80-90%, but not original. I can see some slight polishing/removal of material on the original barrel, on the name and ACME steel markings. I am trying to learn more about this SBT through books I have ordered, and will take some pictures, but there is not much info and pictures on the SBT. I had no idea Parker made such beautifully made firearms. Is there any good books on SBT's out there?
Thanks,
Ralph

Dean Romig
01-03-2020, 07:46 AM
Pictures would be nice.

The best book on Parkers, including the SBT’s is the two-volume set The Parker Story.

If you never knew Parker made such beautiful guns, this book will blow your mind.

Bill Murphy
01-03-2020, 09:24 AM
There must be some single barrel articles in The Parker Pages. One interesting article is about a 20 gauge single trap.

Dean Romig
01-03-2020, 09:40 AM
Right Bill, but non-members don't get Parker Pages, nor can they purchase the Digital Archive, so they are not likely to read those articles.

keavin nelson
01-03-2020, 11:03 AM
Ralph,
welcome to the Parker world, and you have found the right group to grow your interest! I would agree, a copy of the Parker Story is worth the investment. As is a membership in this fine group.

Ralph Miller
01-04-2020, 02:15 AM
Here are a few pics before I bought it, as I was trying to figure out its true non-original condition, and worth. It cleaned up nicely once I got it home, I need to take some more current pics. The bore is pristine, but the rib is missing the center ivory bead. The stock cap is gold with light engraving around the circumstance. Any idea where the forearm & stock might have come from, or where the barrel engraving/re-bluing was done. The recoil pad looks like an early Pachmayr, but it does not fit perfectly at the top, so I do not think it was originally installed when the new forearm and stock were installed, because they fit very nicely.

Thanks guys for your help,

Ralph

Dean Romig
01-04-2020, 07:51 AM
The engraving alone identifies it as a SB and the circassian walnut appears to possibly be original to the gun judging by the correct “trap comb” and though the checkering and carving was not done by Parker it is truly a work of art!

We see a lot of Parker SBT’s that have been tweaked this way or that and though they may have brought pride to their owners, their values have been seriously compromised. Yours however and IMO, is beautifully done and I would be proud to have it in my collection and to occasionally bring it to the trap range.

John Davis
01-04-2020, 08:13 AM
Here are some pics of my SB for comparison. You've got a great gun there.

Bill Murphy
01-04-2020, 10:17 AM
The aftermarket work done on this gun is of better than good quality. I would buy this gun. In what area of the country did you find this gun? That may give us a hint about who did the work. We need better pictures of the barrel engraving to help with the identity.

Ralph Miller
01-04-2020, 03:40 PM
Dean, Bill, and John, thanks for the great info and pics from your personal SBT’s. When I first found this Parker SBT, it had been sitting in a gun shop I frequent, and it had been there for a little while. The SBT was priced outside the range for their normal shop clientele. According to the shop owner, the SBT came into the shop from two older women, one in her 80’s and one in her 50’s, mother and daughter. The daughter explained it belonged to her dad for over 50 years, who passed away a few years ago, and her mom was now ready to clean out her late husband’s personal things. I have known the shop owners for many years, so they always try to provide me with as much background information as possible on any old/used firearm. However, they did not think I would be interested in the Parker SBT, until I spotted it in their display case. They informed me that, they thought it had been altered, with a new forearm and stock and potentially had the barrel re-blued, so they would make me a great deal on it. They are not experts on Parker's either, and had to rely on the Blue Book to form their originally and value assumptions. As I looked over the SBT I thought it was beautiful, and the workmanship and attention to detail with the engraving was amazing, thinking it was made in 1928, it was exciting, welcome to the Parker world. I had the shop hold it for me, while I did some research / investigation on the SBT. I ordered several Parker books, but none had specific info on the SBT, but I gained enough general info to identify the B grade from the B & 5 above and below the S/N on the frame water-table. I also was able to verify that all the S/N’s, on the frame, barrel, trigger guard tang, and forearm attach point, all matched. I made the shop a lower offer than they were asking, based on what I knew, and they accepted it, so now I have my first Parker SBT. Thanks for the tip on the Parker Story reference, I will have to order a copy. I live in Ca, so maybe that will provide a clue to where the barrel engraver and upgraded forearm and stock were performed. Included are a few more recent pics on the barrel engraving and stock carvings. As I mentioned I could see some polishing indication on the left side of the barrel in the logo on the missing arrow quills, on the left. Is the logo roll stamped from the factory? Also, the most resent recoil pad was not fit exactly to the stock, but this could be changed several time during a trap guns life.

Thanks again on your help figuring out what I have from an originally standpoint. I will definitely plan on taking this SBT to the trap range, once in a while, as I like to shoot all my firearms.

Ralph

Brian Dudley
01-04-2020, 08:44 PM
I am not usually a big fan of stock carving. I do appreciate the workmanship when it is well executed, but to me, it usually looks tacky and gaudy. But, overall, this gun is pretty attractive and the workmanship is top notch. When carving is present, I much prefer it to be used along with checkering so that the two complement each other nicely. This gun is that case exactly.
It does look to me like the wood may possibly be original to the gun and the original checkering was just added to and embellished with the carving. And the additional engraving was added to the barrel.
The fitment of the pad may just be due to climate change and wood shrinking up some. It could be corrected easily if desired, or even better, get that white-line thing off of it and put a more appropriate pad on it.

Nice find.

Mark Riessen
01-04-2020, 09:47 PM
I love it. It should be taken to the range, carried and shot with pride. M

Ralph Miller
01-05-2020, 12:50 AM
Thanks for the info Brian & Mark. Yes, I really like the SBT, I was not looking for it, it just found me. I will install another time period correct replica butt pad, as soon as I can. I do plan on shooting it, as I do all my firearms, but there is something very special about this gun, and about the amazing craftsmanship, from a time period long past.

Ralph

Mike Franzen
01-05-2020, 01:13 AM
That is a great gun Ralph. We appreciate you sharing it here. I would wager you are the only guy on this forum whose first Parker was a SBT.

Chuck Bishop
01-05-2020, 09:04 AM
Not true Mike!

Brian Dudley
01-05-2020, 09:33 AM
When I read mikes post, I thought about Chuck, but ai could not remember the details of the story. If it was in fact his first parker or not.

Dean Romig
01-05-2020, 11:14 AM
Chuck's grandfather's SC and it was a featured gun in the 2019 Peoples’ Choice awards.

Randy Davis
01-05-2020, 01:32 PM
My "first and second" Parker, a SC and SB Single Barrel Trap Guns... would love to add a third Parker an A grade. A guy can only hope :)

Trap3

Ralph Miller
01-05-2020, 03:42 PM
Thanks guys, for the great feedback. I have a few other doubles, all average field grade shooters, I have picked up over the years, but I never ran into a double Parker, in the grade and condition, that I could justify affording. I never knew Parker made an SBT until recently, my only other single barrel trap gun is a BT-99. My firearm collecting is very broad, pistols, rifles and shotguns, preferably the older verities.

Ralph

Randy Davis
01-05-2020, 05:33 PM
It`s possible the previous owner had Pachmayr Gun Works embellish the nice old Parker...

Trap3

Mike Franzen
01-06-2020, 08:50 AM
I would wager you are the only guy on this forum whose first Parker was a SBT.

I stand corrected. Ralph you are in rare company with Chuck and Randy. Get a letter on the gun. You never know what you might find out.

Brian Dudley
01-06-2020, 09:27 AM
It`s possible the previous owner had Pachmayr Gun Works embellish the nice old Parker...

Trap3

That thought did kind of cross my mind.

Ralph Miller
01-06-2020, 07:22 PM
Hi Mike, I am new to PCGA what is the process for joining and/or obtaining a letter.

Thanks,

Ralph

Dean Romig
01-06-2020, 07:37 PM
Ralph - May I be the first to welcome you as a new PGCA Member... It may be a little premature but you have made your intent obvious.

Mike McKinney
01-06-2020, 10:29 PM
Ralph,
We look forward to your membership. You can join on-line, get there by going to the home page or with the same app you can fill it out and mail to Mar Bowes whose address is on the app. A good group,

Ralph Miller
01-06-2020, 11:02 PM
All signed up, and I found and ordered the Parker Story, looking forward to reading it.

Thanks for info and book tip.

Ralph

Bill Murphy
01-07-2020, 09:44 AM
When I asked Ralph where he lived, I was waiting for the "California" answer because this gun says Pachmayr all over, including the pad, which may have been installed at Pachmayr when the engraving and carving was done. Don't mess with the pad just yet.

Kevin McCormack
01-07-2020, 10:17 AM
When I asked Ralph where he lived, I was waiting for the "California" answer because this gun says Pachmayr all over, including the pad, which may have been installed at Pachmayr when the engraving and carving was done. Don't mess with the pad just yet.

I agree with Randy and Bill. Had the gun come from the other coast, my strong vote would have been Paul Jaeger's shop in Jenkintown PA.

Chuck Bishop
01-07-2020, 11:33 AM
Unfortunately like my SBT,also made in 1928, there is no order book information just stock book hopefully. It may confirm the Monte Carlo stock.

Bill Murphy
01-07-2020, 02:11 PM
Kevin, you took the words right out of my mouth. Good shot.

Mike Koneski
01-07-2020, 07:03 PM
Beautiful gun Ralph, and a first Parker to boot!! :bowdown::bowdown:

Larry Stauch
01-07-2020, 09:46 PM
Wow, great first Parker. That wood work is wonderful!

Ralph Miller
01-09-2020, 12:35 AM
Thanks Mike & Larry, now I just need to figure out its history.

Ralph

Mike Franzen
01-11-2020, 11:53 PM
Hey Ralph, welcome to the Members Club!
I didn’t see your earlier post til now. I’m on a mini vacation.
I believe if you click on the link below it will end up getting you a letter on your first Parker!
http://parkerguns.org/forums/forumdisplay.php?f=41

Ralph Miller
01-12-2020, 12:50 PM
Thanks for the link Mike, I will spend some time looking through the forums and then get a letter. I ordered the Parker Story, and I am waiting on it to arrive. The research continues, but that is the fun part.

Ralph

Mike Franzen
01-12-2020, 08:05 PM
Ralph, the Parker Story is a great historical work. One of the authors, Bill Mullins, haunts these forums and is a great guy. If you can swing it, come to Sanford, NC April 23, 24, 25 and 26. You will see more Parker’s than you have ever seen before. You will make new friends that share your passion for these great guns. You will see first hand why the PGCA is the country’s premiere gun collector organization. And if you’re lucky, you just might meet award wining author John Davis.

John Davis
01-12-2020, 08:26 PM
Or better yet, award winning author Mike Franzen. :bowdown:

Ralph Miller
01-14-2020, 09:23 PM
Thanks Mike for the invite to Sanford, NC April 23, 24, 25 and 26. That would be great to see that show, meet the members, and all those Parker's. Not sure I will be able to make it, but you never know.

Thanks,

Ralph

Ralph Miller
01-20-2020, 08:36 PM
Guys, have you seen variations in the SBT roll stamped barrel markings on the left side of the barrel. I have seen these variations on several other barrels. Are they variations due to the roll stamping process, or from polishing off of the old bluing in this area. As deep as the roll stamping is it is hard to believe polishing could remove that much stamping material. The first figure is of my barrel, note the variations on the far left bottom and the far right top. The second and third and fourth pics have similar or no variations.

Please let me know what you think,

Thanks,

Ralph

John Davis
01-22-2020, 06:42 AM
Ralph, for what it's worth: yours of course has been customized, the second and fourth appear to have been "restored" and no. 3 looks original.

Dave Noreen
01-22-2020, 10:16 AM
Wonder if Pachmayr might have any surviving records of work done on this gun? With the looks of the stock work, and the gun being in California, the first thing that popped into my mind was old August himself.

Dean Romig
01-22-2020, 10:38 AM
And the Pachmayr pad is a pretty big clue too.

Bill Murphy
01-22-2020, 11:33 AM
Ralph, I bought my first Parker single in 1971, been buying them ever since. I even sold one one time, a mistake of my own making. I have a small flock of SC grades, two of them 20 gauges, a nice SB, and a Runge engraved SAA upgrade. I would like to find a nice A, have missed a couple. The last SA1 Special sold at auction was a bit beyond my comfort zone. I've been shooting the singles for 48 years so far.

Jeff Christie
01-22-2020, 01:07 PM
Good on you. They were (and are) made to be used. Most of our SBTs probably get more use than all the rest of our Parkers put together.

Dave Noreen
01-22-2020, 05:55 PM
I would like to find a nice A, have missed a couple.

Don't know if this qualifies as "nice" --

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/parker-shotguns/parker-sa-grade-12ga-single-barrel-trap-sbt-32-inch-del-grego-restored-98-gun-rare-only-32-made-.cfm?gun_id=100850231

Ralph Miller
01-22-2020, 10:25 PM
Thanks John, the next thing I plan on doing is to request a letter on the SBT and see what that turns up.

Ralph

John Davis
01-23-2020, 06:11 AM
Jeff is correct. I've probably run more shells through my SB and SC than all my other guns combined.

Bill Murphy
01-23-2020, 08:30 AM
Dave, I saw that gun sold at a bargain price and missed it. If I were buying guns, I would contact the owner with an offer. I'm not sure if it's an original SA or an upgrade. My SAA is also one of Shelly's guns.

John Davis
01-23-2020, 12:13 PM
I looked at an SA a while back and considered it. But I couldn't see that much difference from my SB and I actually liked my SB more. I passed. Now an SAA would be a different story.

Ralph Miller
01-24-2020, 12:56 AM
Bill, there is definitely something special about the Parker SBT. I never owned one before, but was sure missing a great example of fine craftsmanship. I plan on shooting my SBT one of these days, and maybe look for another one.

Ralph

Larry Stauch
01-24-2020, 07:55 AM
Don't know if this qualifies as "nice" --

https://www.gunsinternational.com/guns-for-sale-online/shotguns/parker-shotguns/parker-sa-grade-12ga-single-barrel-trap-sbt-32-inch-del-grego-restored-98-gun-rare-only-32-made-.cfm?gun_id=100850231

It would be a great place to start until an original one comes along.
I typically don't care for the colors that DelGrego puts on these guns, but that whole package isn't bad looking. Of course they always pick one that's not in the book...

Dean Romig
01-24-2020, 08:16 AM
Of course they always pick one that's not in the book...

Hmmm...:rolleyes:

Bill Murphy
01-24-2020, 03:41 PM
"Hmmm" is an interesting comment. However, no one, including the seller, is representing that gun as an original A grade. Stock book entries will usually identify a single by grade, I think. Don't know if that particular gun is in the stock books however.____Further checking results in "No information available on that serial number."

Dean Romig
01-24-2020, 03:47 PM
"Hmmm" is an interesting comment. However, no one, including the seller, is representing that gun as an original A grade. Stock book entries will usually identify a single by grade, I think. Don't know if that particular gun is in the stock books however.

My point exactly Bill... "of course they (DelGrego) always pick one that's not in the book."

Larry Stauch
01-24-2020, 04:43 PM
Okay, it just seems that way. Of course DelGrego had no control over what gun was sent to them. So A or C?

John Davis
01-25-2020, 07:18 AM
Ok Larry, I'm going to say it looks to me like an original SA, (restored and customized of course). But I still can't see that much difference between the SA and my SB, so I'm going to continue to hold out for the SAA or SA1S. And I'm going to hold my breadth.

John Davis
01-25-2020, 07:26 AM
And Bill, I think the seller is claiming the gun to be an original A grade when he advertises "Rare (only 32 made)".

Ralph Miller
01-25-2020, 06:51 PM
Some additional pics of my SBT. By the color case hardening under the forearm, the Parkers were stunningly beautiful when brand new. Some browning on the barrel crown and corrosion on the trigger indicates to me the SBT was not well taken care of (wiped down) as it should have been, over the years. Some nice markings on the underside of the barrel, still trying to decipher what they all mean. The numbers written in pencil on the underside of the forearm wood "3060" has no reference to the S/N? There were no numbers written on the end of the stock, but the numbers "50814" were written in pencil on the base of the Pachmayr pad.

Ralph

Dean Romig
01-25-2020, 09:10 PM
Okay - finally... the serial number. At first I thought I read 227591 but it turns out 227591 is a Trojan. Looking more closely I read it now as 227691 which is a SC H 2 S 12 32 so it now appears the whole gun was upgraded and what a work of art, certainly equal to the SB's being produced in Meriden.

It has two separate Remington service codes which begs the question, "Did Remington perform the upgrade?"

Bill Murphy
01-26-2020, 06:57 AM
Dean should know that, when Robert Runge was doing these upgrades, there was no Serialization Book, and for the most part, no PGCA. He did not "pick his upgrades by using guns that were not in the book". The Georgia Boys provided the most entertaining reading by using serial numbers of faked up guns in their advertising. When the SB was published, we could compare their guns to the guns as manufactured.

Dean Romig
01-26-2020, 07:28 AM
I don’t think we know WHO upgraded this SBT do we Bill?
I sure don’t. To me this gun doesn’t say “DelGrego.”

There’s another thread going on, “Open letter to...” that discusses the DelGrego and Runge families...

Bill Murphy
01-26-2020, 07:08 PM
Nope, don't know who upgraded this gun. Why do we assume it was not a B when built? Singles are not usually identified by grade in the stock books, at least not correctly noted by grade.

Dean Romig
01-26-2020, 07:59 PM
All I know is what I read in the Serialization book beside the gun's serial number...
SC H 2 S 12 32

If it is not unethical to do so, maybe Chuck will chime in to either confirm or deny what the serialization book shows.

Ralph Miller
01-26-2020, 11:45 PM
Trying to get up to speed on my SBT, it being my first. The S/N is 227591, as stamped in four places, and I also noticed that it did not match the B grade in the Parker gun I.D & Serialization (2002) book. I also just received my Parker Story book, but I have barely scratched the surface of all the detailed material, what a great book. So here are some more pics to show you what I am seeing. I really appreciate your help in identifying my SBT correctly.

Ralph

John Davis
01-27-2020, 05:49 AM
Ralph, although your gun has been "customized", I don't believe it's been "upgraded". But a letter from the PGCA should be able to settle that question.

Dean Romig
01-27-2020, 07:47 AM
Again, the Serialization book identified Parker No. 227591 as being a 16 gauge Trojan with 26” barrels. This misinformation once again supports the necessity of ordering a research letter for our Parkers rather than relying on the Serialization book.

My apologies to you Ralph, and all others who have read this thread. When I first saw that the serial number came up as a Trojan I jumped to the (incorrect) conclusion that the number I saw on the lug must be 227691 instead, because it made more sense being an upgraded SC but I was very wrong - apologies to all.

Dean

Bill Murphy
01-27-2020, 01:16 PM
Dean, I saw the SC mention in the Serialization Book, suspected that it was mismarked in the Book. I swear I have seen singles in the Serialization Book posted as S and "S" only. I couldn't find any of those today, but I know they are in there. This is difficult, but maybe we will get more information on the Book entries on single barrels. I don't think all singles are entered correctly by grade.

Chuck Bishop
01-27-2020, 02:17 PM
The Serialization Book is wrong on a few S/N's on that page. 227588 is a VH, 227589 is a SC, 227590 is a SC, 227591 is a SB, and 227597 is a Trojan. The rest of that column in the Serialization Book is correct. You many want to write in the correct grade for those guns in your book.

John Davis
01-27-2020, 08:25 PM
The Serialization Book is a good place to start but it ain't the gospel. I would always recommend a letter if there is any doubt or even if there isn't.

Ralph Miller
01-27-2020, 11:24 PM
Thanks guys for all the information on my SBT. Dean did you say that it has two separate Remington service codes. Were these on the barrel, can you describe what they look like. Do you think Remington could have completed the SBT, or performed the upgrade/customization on it. Another couple of pics from a different angle, notice the last three digits of the S/N in the channel below the water table.

Ralph

John Davis
01-28-2020, 06:16 AM
Ralph, the Remington Repair codes are on the barrel flats as shown in your last posted picture. It's impossible to know what work was done at Remington as there are no records to enlighten us. However, I have my doubts that the customization work on your gun was performed at the factory.

Dean Romig
01-28-2020, 07:12 AM
The LK3 stamp indicates a service (3) was performed on it in May (K) of 1942 (L).

And the ANN3 tells us that a service (3) was also performed in March (A) of 1944 (NN).

Ralph Miller
01-28-2020, 11:23 PM
Thanks John & Dean for the code info. I found the code information as I made it in chapter V, in the Parker Story. There is a lot to read, but it is very interesting. Were there ever guns that were ordered and started the soft build and fitting process, but were never completed because of the 1929 stock market crash. To be assembled/finished later to a higher grade by Remington for another customer? Just a thought, after reading about the large inventory Parker had before the crash and how a lot of the ordered guns, may never have been finished. How long did it take Parker to build a grade B shotgun?

Thanks,

Ralph