PDA

View Full Version : State of Confusion...

Don Fields
07-20-2009, 08:52 PM
Hello to all. I'm new here, and the new owner (I think?) of a Parker GH 12 ga., vulcan barrels, 28 inches. My question(s). The serial # on my receiver is not the same as the one on the barrels. Date for receiver shows 1897 with Parker Special barrels. Date on barrels shows 1903 w/ Vulcan barrels. Have I been taken? Thanks!

Dave Suponski
07-20-2009, 09:55 PM
Don,I would think that if the "factory" had fitted a set of Vulcan barrels to your gun they would also be serial numbered to the frame.

Parker Special steel barrels first appeared in the 1907 catalog...10 years after your gun was made.

The vast majority of GH guns featured damascus barrels. Could you provide us with a serial number of your gun?

Tom Carter
07-20-2009, 10:06 PM
Don, I have a GH with a beautiful stock with Trojan barrels. I knew it had Trojan barrels but I bought it anyway for the stock. I thought one day I might find a Special Steel barrel to put on it. Cheers, Tom

Russ Jackson
07-20-2009, 10:07 PM
Hello Don and welcome aboard, I guess it all depends on how you look at things whether you have been taken or not, if the seller advertised the gun as a GH and all original and you paid a price to match ,then I would say you were duped but if the gun was advertised as a " Project " gun and / or non original,and the price was far less than you would expect to pay, then,you probably bought yourself a good hunting gun ! None the less if you are planning on keeping this gun and shooting it you should have it checked out by a competent gun smith to make sure it is safe to shoot because some one along the line fitted those Vulcan barrels to the gun, mind though most of us own at least one of these " Project " guns and if done right some of them are our favorites, you can use them and don't really need to be overly concerned about them and just really enjoy shooting them !

Don Fields
07-20-2009, 11:00 PM
Dave,
The serial numbers are as follows:
Barrels:140503
Receiver: 78681
I purchased this Parker from a dealer on GunBroker. He told me the barrels had been changed from twists to vulcans and indicated that the fitting had been done by Parker Bros. The fit is outstanding, lock-up is straight and true, and every component fits and locks smooth and snug. I have trouble imagining it being any better! I am very satisfied with it, I just want to be sure of what I have. Thanks in advance for all your help!
Don

Destry L. Hoffard
07-20-2009, 11:03 PM
I've got a GH 10 gauge with Vulcan barrels, somebody sent it back to the factory for them after the fact. Never say never till the gun has been seen.

DLH

Don Fields
07-20-2009, 11:09 PM
Destry,
I know probably everyone here has a story about why they are fans of Parker SXS. Mine is memories of my grandfather. I was 9 when he passed, but I remember going to milk with him, (getting in the way), his roll-your-own cigarettes, and going squirrel hunting with him and his Parker. I was hooked, and now, by the grace of God, I can own my own Parker.

Dave Suponski
07-20-2009, 11:15 PM
Don,The "Parker Serialization Book" lists 78681 as a grade 2(G) damascus 12 gauge with 30" barrels and capped pistol grip stock.

Enjoy the gun and use it for what it was intended :)

Destry L. Hoffard
07-20-2009, 11:22 PM
Nothing like squirrel hunting, my second favorite after ducks/geese. Back when I still lived in Southern Illinois, hunting season officially started on August 1st with the opening of that season.

It would be so hot you couldn't breath in the woods but they'd have started sampling hickory by then and you might catch them in the choke cherry trees too. We'd never miss the opener, then once the real nut cutting started, you couldn't keep us boys out of the timber till duck season opened.

I've still got my first double, it ain't a Parker, but it's sure killed a heap of squirrels. My grandpa was a bird hunter, it was Dad that took me on my early squirrel hunts and bought me that gun. I'm glad to say they're both still with me and both still hunt. Grandpa was 91 on our birthday (June 10th)and he'll be out with us on opening day of dove season the good Lord willing.

Destry

Dave Noreen
07-21-2009, 01:31 PM
If a new or second set of barrels was fitted to your gun at the Parker Bros. factory they would have been numbered to the gun. I have this 1889-vintage GH-Grade damascus barrel 12-gauge that was back to the factory and fitted with a set of Vulcan Steel barrels and they are numbered to the gun and the forearm loop and forearm iron for thos barrels have a 2 stamped on them in addition to the correct serial number.

Destry L. Hoffard
07-21-2009, 07:07 PM
Ohhhh I missed the fact that the serial number on the barrels was different. I gotta read a little closer....

DLH

Don Fields
07-21-2009, 08:53 PM
Destry,
Sadly, neither my father or grandfather are still with me, but the memories of Dad taking my brother and I squirrel hunting and then deer when we were older, are always just a blink away. My first gun was a Revelation bolt-action single shot .22. "Practice until you can bag your limit of squirrels with this, and then we'll talk about a shotgun" That's what Dad told me, and like yourself, my brother and I stayed in the woods with our friends pretty much until all hunting seasons were past. My first Shotgun....an Ithaca Super Single 12 ga. Still have 'em both and wouldn't trade 'em for gold! By the way, ever been to Burnt Prarie Ill.?

Destry L. Hoffard
07-21-2009, 09:27 PM
Sure, I've passed through Burnt Prairie before. Technically still in Southern Illinois because it's south of I-64, though we'd be suspicious of anybody from that far north just on principle. *wink*

Destry