PDA

View Full Version : A training question

Rich Anderson
08-30-2019, 09:56 AM
I have two wonderful neutered male GSP's, Ike will be two in a couple of weeks and Duke will be one the end of September. They get along well outside but when there in the yard they chase each other constantly. It started with Ike doing the chasing now Duke has turned the tables. It hasn't gotten aggressive....yet and I don't want it to. My question is any ideas on how to train these two to be more laid back in the house? As of now they are separated in the house with Ike upstairs with my wife and Duke and I are in the basement. These two need to learn to share a couch:) If that can't happen I'm afraid Duke will need a new home and I really don't want that!

Dean Romig
08-30-2019, 11:10 AM
Whenever they get rambunctious in the house put them outside with the admonishment "OUT!" Be consistent to the extreme.

It will take some vigilance but they can be taught to share. An e-collar isn't just for hunting training...

John Dallas
08-30-2019, 04:04 PM
How about confining the two of them is a small, enclosed, bulletproof area, and leave them there until they get tired of each other

Jerry Harlow
08-30-2019, 05:27 PM
An e-collar isn't just for hunting training...

All I have to do is put the collar on Mosby the rambunctious Chocolate Lab and it ends it all.

Dean Romig
08-30-2019, 05:40 PM
Same with Grace.... most of the time. Other times it’s as simple as brandishing the hand-held remote at her and she quickly succumbs.

legh higgins
08-30-2019, 07:05 PM
If you are ever lost deep in the woods, start talking about dog training...someone will show up to tell you how its done.:bigbye:

legh higgins
08-30-2019, 08:30 PM
pm sent

Tom Jay
09-01-2019, 01:13 PM
You need to ditch the GSP's and get a couple Llewellin's. You'll never look back. :)

allen newell
09-01-2019, 07:29 PM
Dean and Jerry, same with my 3 1/2 yr old english setter. The e collar works wonders in short order and far more humane in my opinion than other methods of altering unwanted behaviour.

Rich Anderson
09-01-2019, 08:13 PM
You need to ditch the GSP's and get a couple Llewellin's. You'll never look back. :)

I'll pass on the setters, I've had two and that was two to many for me:nono: These guys just need to learn to calm down some.

allen newell
09-01-2019, 08:48 PM
When your dad raised and trained setters and field trialed them, they get in ones blood stream. Its just too hard to break. Im on my 3rd english setter and while she may be excitable at times, we have taken over 150 birds over her. My labs were great hunters too. But english setters are just too far into my blood stream.

Dean Romig
09-01-2019, 08:59 PM
But, to each his own. We all have preferences for various reasons but no breed is "better" than the others.

Rich Anderson
09-02-2019, 11:05 AM
Thats true Dean and most of my friends have setters and they are great dogs. In my early years I had them as my grandfather always had setters. I've had GSP's for over 30 years and just like Parkers they get in your blood:) The boys just need to overcome the puppy stage and they will. Five weeks at the cabin hunting every day will tire them out.