PDA

View Full Version : Parker letter and Pattern's stated?

tom tutwiler
07-19-2009, 05:12 PM
Just curious. My Parker letter on my 16 gauge states the following:

Chokes were patterned RH (185 #7 pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards) and ditto for the LH barrels as well. What chokes would these equate to this day and age? PS. The gun is out for work and I'm expecting it back soon. Anyway, any additional information provided would be great. Thanks Tut

Kevin McCormack
07-19-2009, 05:41 PM
You need to know the weight of the shot charge that was used to pattern the gun. This will be recorded in the Stock Books. Then calculate the total number of pellets in the load used (e.g. 1 oz. = 235 etc.), then compare the ratio of pellets in the 30" circle to the total number of pellets in the load. This percentage will give you an idea of how tightly the gun is choked; e.g. 70% Full, 45% Modified, etc. Of course the most accurate measurement is the ratio of the diameter of the barrel at mid-bore compared to the constriction as measured at the muzzle in thousandths of an inch. This ratio is much more representative of true choke boring since it relates muzzle constriction directly to mid-bore constriction. Stop by our table at Chantilly this weekend and we'll have a measuring fest from .410 to 4 bores in play.

John Mazza
07-21-2009, 10:22 AM
Tom:

I wondered the same thing when I had my Parkers "lettered." Based on my math, I have some fairly open choked guns ! However, upon shooting quality loads (RST Falcon Ultra-Lites and Polywad Vintagers) - I was breaking clay birds like never before. ! (Trap shooting.)

So, what I found is this: My guns shoot approx. IC patterns with old-fasioned fiber wad shells. (No modern shot cup/wad columns.) They are great for close game. But, when I shoot the aforementioned modern loads, I get modified (or possibly even full) choke performance. The only way to tell is to shoot the gun. Try a round of trap when you get it back. Shoot both barrels & compare. If you can hit at trap consistently, odds are you're getting at least modified patterns. Of course, to shoot at a pattern board will tell you exactly what your patterns are like, but I hate counting all those little holes. I like to shoot at paper at close range (10 yards) to check for point of impact - you may need to adjust the drop of the stock. (My 10 g. Parker needed the 5/8" comb pad). {It's a slip-on neoprene "sock" with foam inserts. It does detract from the "vintage appeal" of the gun, but it is nice to throw a pattern where you want it to go !}

What I'm planning for the fall is this: A fiber wad shell (RST or RMC B.P.) in the right barrel (for a wide pattern) and a RST or Polywad shell in the left barrel (for a longer-ranging pattern). Bear in mind that Polywad offers spreader loads for open-choke performance from tightly choked barrels...

Enjoy !

John

Austin W Hogan
07-22-2009, 08:22 AM
Twelve ga Parker guns were patterned with 1 1/8 ounces of Tatham size 7 shot unless the customer ordered a specific size and charge. "Make shoot as tight as can" is a common note. Du Pont Bulk Smokeless was used in targeting unless the customer had a specific propellant request. l

Meriden Parker chokes were cut with a nut borer "to deliver" the pattern desired. This compensated for variation in bore diameter, and allowed most started barrels to be completed. Bore and choke measurement may or may not predict pattern delivered.

Best, Austin

Bill Murphy
07-22-2009, 09:45 AM
The shot charge, range of target, diameter of target, and size and weight of shot varied over the years. 1 1/4 ounce 12 gauge loads were commonly used also.

Charlie
07-22-2009, 11:10 AM
I now only vaguely recall reading about it, but I believe shot sizes varied with the maker in the old days. One maker's 6 might be the same size as another's 8, for instance. Somewhere there is some data on the old specs. Pellets per ounce may be a variable in the old records. Charlie

Destry L. Hoffard
07-22-2009, 02:40 PM
Charlie is exactly right, to really know what the old patterning numbers mean you'd have to know the brand of the shot. A Tathum's #7 might be quite a bit different from a Chicago #7 and so on. I've seen that same pellet count chart he mentions but I don't have a copy of it unfortunately.

Destry

Don Kaas
07-22-2009, 04:44 PM
As we know, one man's St. Louis 3s are another man's Sparks Philadelphia Shot Tower 4s...erected 1808, one of the first and the oldest still standing...along I-95 in South Philly

Bill Murphy
07-22-2009, 06:35 PM
I see five levels where there are windows that would allow a multicolumn Superstar trap to be installed. Maybe we could get Federal assistance to bring new life to a historic building and have a great sporting clays tower in the bargain. Are any existing shot towers out in the country? Baltimore and Philadelphia are out of the running unfortunately.

Don Kaas
07-22-2009, 06:50 PM
The Sparks Shot Tower is now the centerpiece of a city park. Sparks went out of business in 1913 I think...

Dave Suponski
07-22-2009, 09:08 PM
Bill and Don,The Remington Arms shot tower in Bridgeport,CT is still proudly standing in the skyline of the city.It is clearly visable from I-95 and I can almost see it from my house. I just love looking at that great old building!

Mark Conrad
07-26-2009, 10:12 AM
Just curious. My Parker letter on my 16 gauge states the following:

Chokes were patterned RH (185 #7 pellets in a 30" circle at 40 yards) and ditto for the LH barrels as well. What chokes would these equate to this day and age? PS. The gun is out for work and I'm expecting it back soon. Anyway, any additional information provided would be great. Thanks Tut

This has be discussed on the old sight several times. First, the stock book does not give the weight or ounces of shot. Some orders in order books have a request for choke boring. Another point, if the gun was built for inventory, they were bored full and full. If an order was filled with an inventory gun the chokes could have been changes prior to leaving the plant and the stock book record is not changed. Note, we only have stock books after December 1919 so I may get information from a stock book but the gun was altered due to a request in the order. In my opinion, large dealers ordered most of there inventory guns full and full so they could open them per the customers desire. Most special order guns have a comment about choke boring. If there is no comment, it is full and full.

Mark