PDA

View Full Version : Heaven gained a great Brittany today

John Dunkle
07-05-2019, 04:42 PM
It was one of those days - the culmination of a dozen years of training, hunting, long walk in the woods and sharing couch (and sometimes even bed space ;) ). After a slow decline that seemed to accelerate over the past few weeks, our Brit finally succumbed earlier today and we sent him on to the great woods and fields in the sky. Jen & I are absolutely gutted - and I'm finding it difficult to even post this - one for hardly seeing the monitor or keyboard.

Anyway - we just lost a wonderful hunting companion and family member.

Thanks Scup for being a part of our lives and family.

You are missed....

John

Dean Romig
07-05-2019, 04:52 PM
John and Jen, I am soo sorry to learn this sad news.
It seems like just last month you were telling us of your wonderful Brit Scup ant your times together.

Dogs should live longer and their lights go out about when ours do... That would be perfect but we live in an imperfect world. Our wonderful dogs go first and leave us wondering why....

John Dunkle
07-05-2019, 05:10 PM
Thanks Dean. I mean that... And - you are right. I know many here in this small community have gone through the same - and for as much as we think we are ready for the inevitable, the truth is....

We really aren't.

Thanks my friend for your note. I'll pass it on to Jen, too.

John

Phillip Carr
07-05-2019, 05:24 PM
John my heart goes out to the two of you today. InHave been in the same place you are at and it is truly the loss of a family member.

John Dunkle
07-05-2019, 06:16 PM
Phil, just simply, well - thank you....

It is indeed.

My thanks for that,

John

Daryl Corona
07-05-2019, 07:21 PM
My condolences to both of you. I know that when you brought that little pup home this day did'nt even enter your mind. Rest assured that you gave Scup a loving home and that he's missing you both as much as you miss him.

CraigThompson
07-05-2019, 07:34 PM
Sorry for your loss , I know how it feels been there several times .

Harry Collins
07-05-2019, 08:16 PM
John, you and yours are in my thoughts and prayers. God Bless.

Robert Rambler
07-05-2019, 08:47 PM
So Sorry for your lose John. They live with us for way too short a time. But they live forever in our hearts.

edgarspencer
07-05-2019, 09:04 PM
That is a great picture and just how he wants you to remember him. It isn’t any less hard for me to know someone hurts as you do, because I remember every one I’ve lost too. You have my sympathy, John.

Sara LeFever
07-05-2019, 09:08 PM
So very sorry for your loss. :(

Sara

Randy G Roberts
07-05-2019, 09:25 PM
My sincerest condolences JD. Brit was a striking creature, just beautiful. Take care Brother.

Gary Laudermilch
07-05-2019, 09:38 PM
It is a gut wrenching experience. There is no getting prepared for it. It just falls on you like a sledge hammer. So, so sorry.

chris dawe
07-05-2019, 10:20 PM
So sorry John ,as soon as they arrive the damn clock starts ticking every one teaches us so much

Mike McKinney
07-05-2019, 10:29 PM
So very sorry, John and Jen! Such tough duty and a sorry day. When Mel (my Brit) Died I cried for days, shamelessly. They fill our lives and leave such a void.

Rich Anderson
07-06-2019, 08:02 AM
Every dog that comes into our lives gifts us with a piece of their heart. When they leave they take a piece of ours with them.

John and Jen my deepest sympathies during this difficult time. Scup will live on in your heart and memories. I believe that we will be reunited with our friends at the proper time.

Matt Valinsky
07-06-2019, 12:57 PM
Sorry for your loss, it is never ever easy.

Steve Kleist
07-06-2019, 01:14 PM
They are missed as much as they are loved.
Savor the sweet memories.
Steve

John Dunkle
07-06-2019, 03:28 PM
Hi all,

I just wanted to say a huge Thank You to each and all of you for your notes, posts and Private Messages - each and all are so very appreciated..!

We know there is something a little bit more than special about our hunting and household buddies - and this thread, and many others - bare that out...

Anyway - simply...

Thank you!

John

Eric Eis
07-06-2019, 03:39 PM
Very sorry to hear that my friend, It is so hard but when we get that pup we know what we signed up for and the end is always hard.But with time what you will remember are those times afield and those good times at home, that's what you will remember.

John Dallas
07-06-2019, 04:23 PM
The reason it's so hard now is because it was so good for so long. Best wishes.

Mills Morrison
07-06-2019, 05:11 PM
Sorry to hear the news

Garry L Gordon
07-06-2019, 07:59 PM
John, It's such a difficult thing to lose your hunting buddy. As painful as it is, the good memories of special times will become stronger. Condolences to you and your wife.

Brett Hoop
07-06-2019, 11:13 PM
Sorry for your loss. It leaves a hole in one’s heart. Our dog’s are very unselfish with their short lives and unconditional love . When I see a litter of pups I find myself hoping that each pup gets their special person.

davidboyles
07-07-2019, 08:49 PM
Each one of my Brits has given so much and asked for so little in return. Always glad to see us and they look so deep into our eyes. My Dessa went to the trainer yesterday for a refresher on how not to turn doves into hamburger! My wife and I both miss her already even after one day. I look over at her bed, wonder if I let her out to do her business and try to remember if I fed her tonite. It seems unbelieveable we brought her home just 9 short years ago. Yes she is slowing down but guess what so am I! Still we will head to NM this year for our fourth year to hunt Blues. Bless your pup and I hope you are able to look forward to getting a loving sidekick to be with you in your next seasons. Your sadness I feel. Best to you and your household.
David

John Dunkle
07-07-2019, 09:26 PM
David,

I just handed my computer to Jen to have her, too, read your post, note and thoughts...

Simply thank you. A wonderful post amongst so many.

Thank you...

John

Gary Carmichael Sr
07-08-2019, 10:44 AM
John, What can I say, Most of us are dog people, to add to what Dean said earlier,
It came to me that every time I lose a dog, they take a piece of my heart with them, and every new dog who comes into my life, gifts me with a piece of there heart. If I live long enough all the components of my heart will be dog, and I will become as generous and loving as they are! Gary

Rich Anderson
07-08-2019, 11:16 AM
Audrey gave me a plaque with that saying on it when Gunner left us. It hangs in the gun room.
They most certainly don't stay long enough.

Garth Gustafson
07-08-2019, 06:34 PM
John,
Very sorry to hear about Scup. When they leave us they take a piece of our hearts with them. Scup surely was a lucky dog to be part of your family and it sounds like he had a full and happy life. And as someone here once said, it really wouldn’t be Heaven if we can’t be with our dogs again when it’s our time to knock on Heaven’s door.

steve bryan
07-09-2019, 07:40 AM
So sorry to lose your best buddy and companion, i know it all to well unfortunately.

PhillipPerry
07-10-2019, 05:49 AM
This is so sad John. My condolences..

Ed Norman
07-13-2019, 06:30 AM
John,
Our oldest dog is 11 years old, and he is slowing down now, I can barely think about the inevitable. My wife and I have given our 3 dogs (2 havanese and a brittany) the best home possible. I know our dogs appreciate it as I am sure your Scup did too along with all other dogs that are loved and cared for. I wish you and your wife well through this time and I am sure all those great "dog memories" will stay with you both forever. Sincerely, Ed Norman

Shane Rhodes
07-14-2019, 04:48 PM
Sorry for you loss. I am on my first two Brittany’s now and dread the day I lose the first one.

Harry Sanders
07-19-2019, 09:40 AM
John,

Sorry for your loss. I know what you're feeling.

Dennis E. Jones
07-23-2019, 10:07 PM
I do understand how people feel when they lose a a true friend! I'm still missing my last two Britts. When I think about them I tear up. It's been three years since I lost the last one. No more dogs for me as they would likely outlive me and I can't stand to see them grow old and die. I don't know if I'm getting soft hearted or soft headed in my senior years.