PDA

View Full Version : Maggie and Gus

Matt Valinsky
06-29-2019, 01:04 AM
Did a little training with Maggie and Gus yesterday. I worked them both together and they did a nice job. I normally don't hunt my dogs as a brace but I like to get some backing exercise in for when I'm hunting with someone else and their dog.

1. This is Gus backing Maggie's point. We where using pigeons in tip ups for steady to flush. Maggie is an old salt at this and Gus is doing great at steady to flush.

2. here, Maggie is backing Gus's point.

3. Maggie on point.

4. Gus on point, he usually is more stylish with his tail but I still think he is a pretty handsome young man.

It was a warm day so the training was short but they both did a good job finding scent with their tongues hanging out.

Harry Collins
06-29-2019, 10:32 AM
There is nothing quite like shooting over good dogs. Maggie and Gus sure fit the part. Thanks for sharing.

Matt Valinsky
06-29-2019, 12:11 PM
Thanks Harry, I'm pleased with them. This will be Gus's first year on wild birds, he just wasn't ready last fall, way to much puppy in him.

Used to hunt grouse over around Cave Run years ago. This year might take a trip over to western KY., try to find some quail if I can figure out where to go.

Harry Collins
06-29-2019, 06:04 PM
Cave Run has an early primitive season for muzzle loading shotguns on grouse. I would love to do that before I become too crippled.

Matt Valinsky
06-29-2019, 07:28 PM
Well, if you have a muzzle loading shotgun you should, before you wake up some morning and can't.