PDA

View Full Version : All brass hulls

Jim Schultz
11-09-2010, 11:28 AM
I have been loading all brass hulls for hunting in 20, 28, 16 and 12 gauges for over 4 years. I am happy with the results and wondering if anyone else is loading brass hulls?

Mark Landskov
11-09-2010, 12:30 PM
Jim, there are a lot of folks here that use all brass shells. I have been wondering if anyone loads smokeless in them.

Jim Schultz
11-09-2010, 12:43 PM
Yes, I do load them smokeless. I use Rocky Mountain Cartridge (RMC) hulls.
According to RMC any published gauge appropriate load found in reloading manuals or powder manufactures web sites for straight walled hulls will work in their brass hulls because they have the “same inside diameter” as plastic hulls. In my search for the perfect load, I have loaded and patterned many published loads using 1-piece wads and card and fiber wads with success ranging from poor to outstanding. When patterning shotgun loads, barrels often have a mind of their own.

charlie cleveland
11-09-2010, 10:16 PM
will have to try some of those brass shell loads...thanks for the info..have you loaded any of the10 ga brass do you get a lot of reloads per shell out of the brass shell....i really like reloading my own shells makes the hunt a little better it seems..... charlie

Mark Landskov
11-09-2010, 10:35 PM
Jim, what gave the best results in your 12 gauge loads, fiber or one-piece plastic wads? I would be leaning toward a 1 ounce load of 7-1/2 shot for my 1877 Lifter. All I hunt is Ruffed Grouse. So far the RMC loading tool scores high with users. Do you have their loading tool?

Jim Schultz
11-10-2010, 09:23 AM
Charlie,
I don't load 10 gauge, but Dave Casey told me that he knows a Cowboy Action shooter that has loaded his RMC hulls over 3000 times. At some point the primer pockets become worn and Dave bores out the back of the hull and threads in a new primer pocket, which is cheaper than buying a new hull.

Mark,
Let me preface my answer with I believe that all barrels are unique and what works for me may not work for you.
MY 12 gauge hulls are loaded with 1-piece plastic wads, non-toxic and though they are adequate, I consider them a work in process. My 1 ounce loads are card and fiber in 16 gauge and I doubt that I could improve on the results. They pattern consistently at the distances I shoot, are low pressure and depending on powder charge, the velocities according to my Chronograph are 1238 and 1328 fps. respectively. Yes, I have Dave's loading tools:). He also made me some dippers for field loading from scrap large bore rifle cases and I put wood handles on them. I carry a "loading box" with all of the tools, some powder, shot, primers, shot/powder dippers and cards and filler wads to reload in the field.

Mike Stahle
11-11-2010, 07:11 AM
If any of you brass shell reloaders are interested I have the following for sale.
I have since moved into the loading of paper roll crimp shotshells.
4 Boxes Primed12ga Magtech Shotshells.
$85.00 shipped.
http://www.buffaloarms.com/browse.cfm/4,4675.html
Included are two boxes of CCI large pistol primers.
Shot/powder dipper.
Handmade brass loading tools (these will only work in the Magtech 12ga shells)

http://i99.photobucket.com/albums/l308/mountaincreekphotos/Items%20For%20Sale/ShotshellReloadingTools1LR.jpg

Cyril Bodnar
11-12-2010, 11:03 AM
Mike... PM sent.

Jim Schultz
11-12-2010, 11:10 AM
I'm assuming that everyone knows that Mag Tech brass hulls are best suited for black powder using card and fiber components.

Harry Collins
11-12-2010, 11:37 AM
Jim,

FOr the most part you are correct. When the transition from black powder to bulk smokeless many saw no reason to change from the brass hull that had served them for long. In fact the brass hull continued to serve them useing smokeless powder. I have tried IMR 7625 with berdan and pistol primers with out success. They were bloopers. I don't have my hands on the information now but in The American Rifleman some 45 odd years ago there was an article on loading brass hulls with a list of powders and wads. The one powder I remember thatr is still being made is Red Dot. Hammer Doubles hulls were extruded brass with 209 primer pockets. The 7625 powder charges they listed were frightening yet the pressures were low and the velocity was excelent.

Harry

Jim Schultz
11-12-2010, 12:04 PM
Harry, I agree that is why I used the term"best suited for black powder." I know of one guy that uses Mag Tech hulls with pistol primers/smokeless powder and he is happy with the results. I have a box of the now defunct Double Hammer brass hulls, which are modified Mag Tech hulls with bored out primer pockets that accept a 209 primer and are fitted with a base wad. They are much lighter than RMC hulls and I use them with 1 oz. card and fiber hunting loads. The only issue that I have had with Double Hammer hulls is that a base wad dislodged. My fix was to crimp the hulls just ahead of the base wad and so far I've had no more problems. My two favorite powders in either Mag Tech or RMC hulls are IMR4756 and Trail Boss. There are 5 loads in all and Tom Armbruster (815 385-0037) at Ballistic Research Inc. has tested all of them. Tom tested the IMR4756 pressure/velocity loads for Double Hammer and gave me the Trail Boss loads via telephone.

Mike Stahle
11-12-2010, 01:08 PM
Mike... PM sent.

ALL ITEMS SOLD TO THIS PARKER FORUM BROTHER.

Harry Collins
11-12-2010, 05:32 PM
Jim,

Would you share the Trail Boss data? Is it with pistol primers, Berdan or 209?

Harry

Jim Schultz
11-12-2010, 07:54 PM
Harry,
Tom did not give me pressure or velocity for Trail Boss, but did give me drams equiv. for the following Trail Boss loads.

*1 oz. Win 209 Trail Boss 23 gr. 1 opc, 2cw, 1 osc 2 3/4 dram equiv.
*1 1/8 oz. Win 209 Trail Boss 25 gr. 1 opc, 2cw, 1 osc 3 dram equiv
opc= over powder card aka nitro card
cw=cushion wad
osc=over shot card
*Per Tom Armbruster via telephone: For either 1 oz. loads or 1 1/8 oz loads in either RMC or Double Hammer brass hulls.

Jim Schultz
11-12-2010, 07:58 PM
Harry,
I failed to mention that my only loads for Trail Boss are 16 gauge. Sorry if thats a problem.

Harry Collins
11-12-2010, 09:50 PM
Jim,

That is great info. I am shooting my Uncle Bill's VH 16 almost exclusively. All my brass is 12 & 20 gauge with Berdan or pistol primer pockets. I had to retire the 10 gauge brass as it was too small and had swelled to the point of rupture. I am going to weigh a charge of Trail Boss and see if it has a Dram equivalent.

Thanks again, Harry

Harry Collins
11-12-2010, 10:36 PM
Trail Boss to Dram
21.6=2 1/2
24.0=2 3/4
26.7=3

I am not going to go out on a limb, however this is close to being a bulk powder.

Harry

Jim Schultz
11-13-2010, 10:20 AM
Harry, I seem to remember Tom mentioning a similarity to bulk powder and the stuff dips consistently.