PDA

View Full Version : New Parker guy

Randy Radmer
11-08-2010, 10:28 PM
Gentlemen (and ladies if any present,)

I am new here having found this site after looking to learn about an old Parker shotgun I purchased at an estate auction. It's a bit rough, but I mostly purchased as a wall hanger. It is a 12 ga, 1875 patent model with exposed hammers. More info later on that.

Charles

Russ Jackson
11-09-2010, 05:33 AM
Good Morning Charles ,Welcome aboard , You have come to the right place to find out about your new gun and for some fun and informative conversation . Please post some pics. of your new Parker ,There are many of us here that shoot the older Damascus guns ,yours may not be a " Wall Hanger " as you may think ! Russ

Dean Romig
11-09-2010, 05:50 AM
Hi Charles - and I'll echo Russ' greeting... Welcome!

Please show us some pictures of your Parker.

Mark Landskov
11-09-2010, 06:51 AM
Welcome aboard, Charles! Don't be too hasty in retiring that hammer gun!

calvin humburg
11-09-2010, 07:22 AM
good day charles and some of us shoot wallhangers:)

Russ Jackson
11-09-2010, 12:13 PM
good day charles and some of us shoot wallhangers:)

Calvin ,I think most of us shoot wall hangers !!!:)

Dave Suponski
11-09-2010, 12:20 PM
Yup....But we got some pretty wallhangers...or is that pretty walls? Oh...nevermind..

Randy Radmer
11-09-2010, 12:29 PM
Thanks for the kind welcome. I am currently away from home but will be home for the weekend and have access to the camera so I should be able to get some pictures posted soon. I am considering on having this properly repaired (needs the stock replaced, any suggestions on getting a proper vintage stock?) replace or repair the release and possibly have metal refinished. Lots to think about and any suggestions on places for parts, gunsmiths etc would be appreciated.

Thanks,

and please, call me Randy

Richard Flanders
11-09-2010, 06:22 PM
Post pictures. And don't be too hasty on getting a 'new' stock; Aside from it being very expensive, there are some repairman who can work miracles with broken/shattered old stocks. We can coach you on how to get the sideplates off so you can see what the wood looks like inside if you need to do that. Some of them fall onto the bench in pieces when you take the locks off. You've definitely come to the right place; you'll get all the help you need here.

Randy Radmer
11-09-2010, 09:11 PM
Richard,

Thanks for the information. As far as the stock, I'm hoping I'll get lucky and someone has one that has a lot of other issues that they would part with for a reasonable price. I'm planning on taking some pictures this weekend when I get home for a few days. One issue I see with these things is that they could become "addicting." There is an auction near here in a few days with an early Parker 10ga lifter and Pat 1878 grade v vulcan steel 12 ga that I am eyeing. Going to check on them a bit more and see about making a bid. Both a bit rough, but if the price is right then what the heck. Any ballpark figures/price ranges that you or anyone can SWAG.

Dean Romig
11-09-2010, 09:26 PM
A bit of advice Charles... Don't make the mistake of jumping in with both feet and your eyes closed tightly.
We all have some horror stories about mistakes we have all made and I think the PGCA, to the man, wish to help keep newcomers from making the same mistakes we made early on. Take your time. Learn all you can about what is a good investment and what you'll never get your money back on. Keep coming back to this site daily. Watch and learn. Look at pictures. Buy the books on Parker guns if you intend to get serious about these fine old Parkers. Ask us questions about guns you're looking at. Stay away from Parkers in "rough" condition - they're just a bad investment. Join the PGCA and receive the quarterly Parker Pages journal (magazine) with all kinds of articles just full of good information.

Oh, and by the way, did we say "Welcome"? Well, just in case, Welcome!

Randy Radmer
11-09-2010, 09:40 PM
Dean,

Thanks for the welcome and the advice. At this point I don't intend to jump in with eyes wide shut. I, like many others, have done it in the past. At this point, unless a gun is exquisite I'm going to only buy if extremely cheap. The one I already have was only $120. Pretty much looking for wallhangers only and will only pay "wallhanger" prices.

From what I have seen, the folks here are as you say, trying to help the newbies like me avoid going down the wrong path with a gun and I definitely appreciate that. I know a lot of things, most importantly what I DON'T know, and with this side by sides there is much more I don't know.

I'm looking forward to learning a lot from you guys here, and maybe some time in the future get the chance to help someone learn the ropes. Many more questions to come from me, I promise, or perhaps should say threaten.

Randy