PDA

View Full Version : Very few scarce 12ga. repro's are showing up?

Kenny Graft
11-08-2010, 07:45 PM
The 12 gauge repro's with two triggers and pistol grip and 28" tubes is one I can't find....DHE,BHE, steel shot spl....sporting clays classic....not a one!. The vary rare 410-s are showing up??/where are the 12-gauges??? When I spoke with Jack Skues about them... there is no known number that were made, only a estamate...I do not beleive 1800 12 gauges were made. This number comes from the Parker Story. Anyone have any ideas about were they are or this shortage? Thanks all Kenny Graft SXS ohio....(-:

Dave Fuller
11-08-2010, 08:18 PM
I had a 28" 12 ga DT PG Repro. It was a two-barrel set. It was an early gun made for the NSFL, it had their logo on the gold oval and name on the side. To this day I am kicking myself for selling that gun. They are out there but rare indeed. (Also undervalued IMHO)

John R. Richards
11-09-2010, 09:01 AM
Kenny:

You are not the only one looking!!! I have been combing the various sites for months. The DT and pistol grip is very rare, apparently. Steve Barnett has some nice 12 DHE Repros, but no DT's.....Maybe we'll find something worthwhile soon.

John

Greg Baehman
11-09-2010, 09:28 AM
Actually Kenny, according to Jack Skeuse, there were 2,137 12-ga. Repros built...how many of these have DT's and a PG is probably unknown--but they are out there and you"ll eventually find one. Happy hunting!:bigbye:

http://parkerguns.org/forums/album.php?albumid=99&pictureid=1028

Joe Bernfeld
11-12-2010, 10:05 AM
Years ago I had an SSS with a pistol grip and BT that I had a hard time shooting well, due to excessive drop at the comb. Even after I had it bent up (which also changed the pitch, of course) I didn't like it. About a year ago I found a 12 ga (from James Wayne) with straight stock, splinter forend, DT and 28" IC/Mod 3" chambered barrels. It is now my duck gun and it has much better dimensions (for me), and I shoot it much better :).
Joe

Kenny Graft
11-12-2010, 07:20 PM
Joe...Thats a very nice repro to have and hunt with. I prefer the pistol grip over the english stock. I shoot better with pistol grip, I have owned and shot both at different times and do better with pistol grip. I hope the right one turns up when I have some stash cash!...today would not be a good day...)-: Im still paying for that last 410/28 set....I plan to sell some hand guns and rifles after Christmas when the market is better. A steel shot spl. or sporting clays model would be my wish!

James Brown
11-17-2010, 08:41 AM
Chadick's has two double trigger 12's listed, a BHE and a DHE.
James

Greg Baehman
11-17-2010, 09:53 AM
Chadick's has two double trigger 12's listed, a BHE and a DHE.
James

The BHE Chadick has is interesting, with what appears to be an oil finish and 32" "Replaced Parker Repro Brls.".

http://www.chadicks-ltd.com/gunpages/1200DG.htm

Kenny Graft
11-17-2010, 06:19 PM
I looked at them early on..the BHE has non repro barrels, probably remington ??? and the SBP removed and pad added....BOO...The other has the 26" barrels 2 3/4 chambers. Im wanting 28" and prefer 3" chambers, pistol grip. Thanks for the notice James...Kenny Graft SXS ohio...(-:

John R. Richards
11-22-2010, 02:43 PM
James:

I talked to Hershel Chadick this morning and was informed by him that he sold everything he had, was now closed up and out of business. Furthermore he didn't have anyone to respond to emails so that's why mine sent a week or so ago never got a response.

John

Bill Murphy
11-22-2010, 06:07 PM
I would sure like to hear more about the 32" gun. I think it is now residing just up the road from me, but I have not seen it. I think it is for sale. Too bad about Herschel. He may not have been everyone's best buddy, but he sure made sure that some great Parkers were offered to the general collecting public, unlike what the situation is now. Some very uninformed Parker guys think that the internet has opened up the collecting world to everyone, but they are quite misinformed. Herschel's ads in the gun publications included some guns that will never again see the light of day in the guns for sale world.

Jeff Kuss
11-22-2010, 06:19 PM
The last time I looked, William Larkin Moore had three 12 ga. repros for sale.

William Stevenson
11-24-2010, 04:30 PM
Gentlemen, I'm new to the forum and have a question. How is a Steel Shot Special marked on the watertable as opposed to a "regular" Reproduction 12 gauge? Thanks, Bill Stevenson

Greg Baehman
11-24-2010, 05:18 PM
Welcome to the forum William. I don't own a SSS, but according to The Parker Story (pg. 175) they were stamped on the water table "12SS" as part of the serial number.

William Stevenson
11-24-2010, 06:18 PM
Thank you Gabby, I was a bit confused by the earlier discussions that called them SSS guns. I understand now it is shorthand for "Steel Shot Special". Mine is marked 12SS-00252 with 28" bbls, straight stock, beavertail forearm ,SST, and a skeleton buttplate. Do you know if the factory ever installed choke tubes on these guns? Mine had Briley thinwall chokes installed when I got it a few years ago. They must be early tubes because they are identified by hand scribed letters, not printed as currently done. The chokes are all but invisible and I have to tell people about them because no one has caught it while inspecting the gun. I shoot it regularly and enjoy it. Do you think the tubes hurt the value if they are aftermarket? Bill

Greg Baehman
11-24-2010, 06:44 PM
The SSS's were never furnished with screw-in chokes. The standard factory choking of them, again per TPS, was .006/.018 with 3" chambers and .740 bores. I would have to say that your aftermarket Briley's will not help--and probably hurt resale value even though they add versatility.

Parker Reproductions did produce a 12-ga. model with factory screw-in chokes, named the "Sporting Clays Classic". These were furnished with 6 Winchester Winchoke Invisible choke tubes. There were reportedly only 125 SCC's ever built.

William Stevenson
11-24-2010, 08:41 PM
Thanks again Gabby, my son and grandsons would shoot me if I sold any of my Parker Reproductions. So resale value is not discussed in my house, I was just curious. My favorite is the straight stock, splinter grip, 28 ga. I call it the magic wand, so light and balanced. I'll be shooting a 20 after ducks in the morning. I bought it first, back in 87. Bill

John R. Richards
11-29-2010, 08:45 PM
Greg:

Glad to know there were only 125 SCC made. I bought one a few months ago after a soul searching conversation with myself about built in chokes in a Parker!!!! I have it at Keith Kearcher's shop for some minor work and look forward to shooting it. You are also correct in that it came with six Winchokes and since I have a couple of Winchester shotguns with Winchokes I now have a complete set, including extra full for Turkeys.

John

Greg Baehman
11-29-2010, 10:27 PM
If you're like me John, you're gonna love your Sporting Clays Classic, as it's the most versatile gun I own. Mine and the very few others that I've seen were roll-stamped on the left barrel as having 2 3/4" chambers, but they actually measure 3"--which is what the brochures and several articles written about them spec them to be, however; there is another PGCA forum member that also has one, but he states that his chambers measure 2 3/4". What length chambers does your gun have?

The gun furthest to the right is my Sporting Clays Classic.

Dean Romig
11-29-2010, 11:00 PM
Fabulous wood on that one Greg!

John R. Richards
11-30-2010, 09:19 AM
Greg:

I will double check the chambers when I get it back from Keith Kearcher. It is stamped 2¾", but I don't recall verifying that with a chamber gauge. Mine is PG and BT, and was an ST. When it comes back it will be a DT.

John

Joe Bernfeld
11-30-2010, 09:40 AM
John, please post details of the single to double trigger conversion, with cost. A lot of people would like to do that modification!
Thanks. Joe

Kenny Graft
11-30-2010, 04:13 PM
Please send me Keiths contact info....I would like to get the project info as well. Thanks Kenny Graft SXS ohio....(-:

Greg Baehman
11-30-2010, 04:22 PM
Here's a link to Keith Kearcher's website:

http://members.toast.net/keithkearcher/

John R. Richards
11-30-2010, 04:45 PM
Gentlemen:

The price quoted was $300 for the conversion from ST to DT. He has converted a number of Parkers. He tells me that the only difference after the conversion is that I will lose the automatic safety feature. That is, the safety will not reset after the gun has been fired and the breech opened. In which case I will have to remember to put the safety back on. Since I already have several shotguns that don't have an automatic safety reset I don't see a problem with this feature. As other PGCA members have indicated there is some wood work involved, partially causing the loss of the automatic safety feature. The gun is to be completed and returned to me within 3 weeks from his receipt. He has kept his timeline on other Parker DHE Reproductions and his work has been excellent. As soon as I receive the gun back and have a chance to shoot it several times I will post the results.

As you might suspect, the ability to convert from a ST to a DT motivated me too buy this gun and look seriously at a couple of others. I realize I am going against the advice of several very experienced members in attempting this conversion and hope it works out as anticipated. I am too damn old to do it any other way !!!

John

Joe Bernfeld
11-30-2010, 05:42 PM
Thanks, John (how do you get this site to record a "Thanks?"...oh, I found the thumb). I think it's a great idea, and if Keith Kearcher is doing it, it should be good. Price sounds reasonable, too. Just think of all the Repro A-1 Specials we can all buy now to convert to DT :rolleyes:. I think that's about what I paid Rich Cole to convert my Beretta 687 from ST to DT.
Joe

John R. Richards
11-30-2010, 08:36 PM
How did the conversion go on the Beretta? I prefer the SxS but have been known to shoot an O/U as well. I have a couple of older Beretta's that are the European style with DT's as well as several in the 686 and 687 category that have the ST.

If the conversion on this SCC DHE Repro works I think it will open the door for others to jump on some of the ST's that are on the market. I know that is on my mind as well.

Bill Murphy
12-01-2010, 11:57 AM
Does Keith Kearcher or Rich Cole provide the parts neccesary for the double trigger conversions they do for the $300 price? Of course, except for a Repro, I wouldn't want to convert any Parker to double triggers if the gun had a working single trigger. I am having a long and lean Parker with an Infallible trigger restocked and will keep the single trigger as long as it works well. Are we converting single trigger Repros that work well?

John R. Richards
12-01-2010, 03:59 PM
Bill:

Keith provides parts and labor. All I did was ship him the shotgun. I understand your feelings about your older Parker and not wanting to convert it.

John

Kenny Graft
12-01-2010, 05:29 PM
I would considder this conversion except....lenth of pull will increase aprox one inch with the forward trigger addition. Its a real job to shorten the butt stock of a DH with skellitin butt plate. I had it done one time, shorten stock 1/2"...job quality was O.K. but not as good as original work. A trained eye would see the modification. cost was 3-400.00 can't remember exactly. thanks all Kenny Graft SXS ohio ...(-:

Joe Bernfeld
12-01-2010, 06:10 PM
Hmm, so if I converted an ST Repro to DT, I might have a 14 3/4" or 14 7/8" LOP? That would be excellent; most of them are so short. My 12 ga is 14 3/4", but that seems uncommon. John and Bill, I love the DT conversion Rich Cole did to my Beretta. It's the only O/U I own, but I had to have the double triggers. Cole provides all the parts (still has an auto safety). It may actually have been less $ than I remember since I also had him adjust both trigger pulls. He doesn't advertise the conversion on his website, but I'm pretty sure he still does it. Bill, I would convert a Repro with a single trigger, whether it worked or not, since I don't like single trigger shotguns.
Joe

John R. Richards
12-01-2010, 07:57 PM
Joe:

I used Rich Cole on an old Beretta SxS I have. 12 gauge, 3 inch chambers, 32" barrels, Full and Full and DT's. Beretta wouldn't help, he did and did a great job. It was a gun my father bought me and my first "real" duck gun, before steel came out. Still have it and every now and then I turkey hunt with it.

John R. Richards
12-10-2010, 09:24 PM
Greg and other interested members:

The 12 gauge Parker DHE Reproduction SCC was received from Keith Kearcher today with two triggers in lieu of the single trigger that was original. Keith also returnd that trigger and all the working parts. The DT's feel just like they should, comfortable and crisp. I don't believe it moved the LOP up more than maybe ½ inch. It feels good and looks like Keith did a very good job. Cost was $300 plus shipping. He charges $35 to send it back via FedEx. The work took less than 3 weeks. As mentioned previously the only change that may be of concern to some is that the automatic safety feature was lost. Now, after the breech is opened, you have to reset the safety yourself. That is of minor concern to me. I would recommend Keith as a gunsmith for a Parker. This is the second Parker of mine he has worked on and his work is good, priced reasonably, and he turns it around quickly.

John

Greg Baehman
12-10-2010, 09:58 PM
Thank you John. Detailed pics of the converted triggers would be appreciated if you're able to post them!

ST Repros have two screws which go under the trigger guard visible in the "Y" area of the trigger guard directly behind the trigger, the DT guns do not have these screws...does your converted gun still have these screws in place?

Bill Davis
12-11-2010, 02:16 AM
I'd love to see pictures also. Thank you!

Bill Murphy
12-11-2010, 09:34 AM
It would be worth $300 just to get rid of the automatic safety.

Joe Bernfeld
12-12-2010, 01:08 PM
John, would you mind measuring the LOP to the front trigger, please? I'd appreciate it.
Joe

Greg Baehman
12-13-2010, 07:25 PM
John, you must be busy shooting your newly converted to DT Repro. There's a bunch of us anxious to hear from you!...:corn:

John R. Richards
12-16-2010, 12:29 PM
Sorry guys. I have been on a hunting trip and just returned last night. Give me a day or two and I'll try and send photos. I have not shot the 12 gauge yet, since I was on a quail hunt in South Georgia and was shooting a new (to me) VHE 20 ga with 2½ chambers using Polywad Vintage Shells 2½ inch ¾ oz. 7.5 shot with a psi of about 8500. Nice shooting load. If you can hit'em it kills'em..

John

Carl Brandt
12-17-2010, 01:29 PM
Bill,

Bring any guns you want to have the automatic safeties changed to the Southern this year and I'll be glad to do them, and show you how to do it yourself.

Carl.

Larry Frey
12-17-2010, 01:53 PM
It would be worth $300 just to get rid of the automatic safety.

Agreed Bill, I have the auto safety feature disconnected on any gun I don’t intend to hunt with. Obviously I save the parts just in case the next caretaker of the gun decides he wants the auto safety. For me non auto safety’s and extractors is a plus. Right up there with 15" LOP.

Bill Murphy
12-17-2010, 07:24 PM
Carl, I have a long barrel beauty in the hopper right now with instructions to remove all safety parts, fill in the slot, and prepare for engraving over the space created. Thanks for the offer.

Greg Baehman
02-25-2011, 09:49 PM
Kenny, a 12-ga. 28", DT, PG, SPL just showed up...
http://www.gunsinternational.com/Parker-Repro-12g-DHE.cfm?gun_id=100165190

Kenny Graft
02-25-2011, 10:13 PM
Thanks Greg....I sent e-mail to buy it....(-: I called but the office was closed. Will get on it in the morning....The gun looks very nice.

Kenny Graft
02-28-2011, 08:14 PM
I was the first in line...its on the way to ohio...(-: Thanks Greg,,I owe you one!

Greg Baehman
02-28-2011, 08:40 PM
My pleasure Kenny, happy to have helped out! Now you can return the favor by keeping an eye open for a nice Parker D-grade toplever hammergun for me!

Dean Romig
02-28-2011, 10:55 PM
Here's a nice one too.

http://www.gunsinternational.com/Parker-DHE-12-Gauge-Reproduction-by-Winchester-Japan-.cfm?gun_id=100161985

Kenny Graft
03-01-2011, 06:31 AM
Several short barrel 12-ga. with DT do come availible.....They are less desirable in that lenth with open choke. If it was a two barrel set 26" and 28" it would be gone! That gun give me sticker shock even with the BTF....SXS ohio...(-:

Greg Baehman
03-01-2011, 08:04 AM
It seems the seller is a bit confused in how it's choked.:confused:

Dave Fuller
03-03-2011, 10:55 PM
The thing I don't like about the Sporting Clays gun is the barrels are swelled or fluted (whatever the proper term is) at the muzzle to accommodate the choke tubes. Its a personal thing, but when I sight down the rib and see the blunderbuss look of the barrels I find it most unpleasant. Its too bad they couldn't have put thin wall tubes in those things.

Dean Romig
03-03-2011, 11:07 PM
Dave, I agree 200% with that statement.

Greg Baehman
03-04-2011, 02:16 AM
Ladies and Gentlemen, Boys and Girls...

STOP WHATEVER YOU ARE DOING !!

...as it is time to play...

REPRO TRIVIA: THE 12-GA. VERSION for ages 12 and up

It has been reported that there were a total of 2,137 12-ga. DHE Repros built. Of these, 1,662 were the regular run of DHE's, 350 were Steel Shot Specials and the remaining 125 were Sporting Clays Classics. The pic below is of a 12-ga. DHE Repro, can you tell by looking at this attached pic if this gun is:

A. An everyday run-of-the-mill DHE Repro

B. A Steel Shot Special

C. A Sporting Clays Classic

Please tell us what model of DHE Repro you believe this gun to be and how you arrived at your answer. Those answering correctly will receive an atta-boy and get their name thrown in a drum for our GRAND PRIZE DRAWING, those answering incorrectly will be boo-ed.

John Dallas
03-04-2011, 08:27 AM
Dave/Dean - If you are seeing the "Blunderbuss" when shooting, you're focusing on the wrong thing. I agree that barrel ends like a K80 look "strange", when in the gun rack, but you never see them when shooting.

Dean Romig
03-04-2011, 09:00 AM
Sorry... it's just me and no offense intended to anybody but to me those swollen muzzles are just an abberation and I won't own one.

Dave Fuller
03-04-2011, 07:24 PM
It sounds nuts but that's why I sold mine. It just bugged me. That said the 12 I replaced it with is marvelous. It had a big scratch in the finish so I stripped it (that may bend some noses) and now I like it even better with the oil finish. More heresy - I like the single trigger!

Kenny Graft
03-05-2011, 05:59 PM
Rod....Thats a dandee of a hunk of wood on your gun! That wood blank could cost 2K....The reproductions are great values, I love my repro's That 12ga PG-Dt SF with 28 inchers thats on the way from Westly Richards will be here tuesday....Hope the wood is half as good as yours...(-: It looked pretty good in the pictures. SXS ohio....(-:

Kenny Graft
06-07-2011, 09:59 PM
Im still looking... "any" 12ga., 28" barrels, double triggers, pistol grip repro's.....any out there for sale? thanks Kenny Graft SXS ohio....(-:

Greg Baehman
06-08-2011, 09:58 AM
Im still looking... "any" 12ga., 28" barrels, double triggers, pistol grip repro's.....any out there for sale? thanks Kenny Graft SXS ohio....(-:

Kenny, we know you just recently bought one in this configuration, you must be trying to corner the market on them, eh? ;)

Kenny Graft
06-08-2011, 11:06 AM
I can't help myself!!!!......still need one with 14 1/4 -14 3/8 pull.....the two I have are 14 5/8 and 14 11/16 a bit long ..add hunting duds and way to long! Bh grade would be grand!!!!

Scott Martin
06-08-2011, 08:03 PM
Who is the NSFL?...does it add to the mystique of the gun?

Kenny Graft
06-08-2011, 09:34 PM
I think National Shootingsports foundation limited. I have one of them sets in 12ga.

Bill Anderson
08-15-2011, 03:36 AM

Kenny,

Found this 12 gauge Sporting Clays Repro this morning. Has pad installed though.

http://www.gunsamerica.com/971685624/Guns/Shotguns/Parker-Shotguns/Parker_Reproduction_SCC_12_Gauge_125_mad.htm

Bill

Kenny Graft
08-15-2011, 07:04 AM
If a collector or shooter wants to have a factory SC repro the upset muzzles are how it was engineered. The system is funktional and not ugly. When shooting the muzzles are not seen anyway. Yes brily thin walls may have been a better system cosmeticly? After the fact we must except the repro's the way they are and be happy they exist! If the bulg bugs some folks (purists) thats O.K., you can collect one or all of the fixed choke combo's they offered or just buy a original Parker. I would love to have a SC model with PG-Dt-BTF to go with my fixed choke guns I now own.... (-: Thanks all SXS ohio...

Gerry Addison
08-15-2011, 07:59 PM
I tried to call them this morning early on the gun and had to leave a message. Emailed later in the day and they told me it was sold already.

Kenny Graft
08-15-2011, 08:55 PM
I perchased this gun early this morning....no makers case, used, and pad added. 4044.00 shiped. I hope I like it??? would prefer original SBP...thanks all SXS ohio...

Gerry Addison
08-15-2011, 09:02 PM
Dang Kenny, I called early this morning and got an answering machine. Left a message for them to call me and they never did. Well I'm glad you got the gun, shoot it well.

Paul Ehlers
08-15-2011, 09:37 PM
Who is the NSFL?...does it add to the mystique of the gun?

NSFL is the acronym for National Sporting Fraternity Limited. There were one hundred repro's special made for the NSFL. They came in different configurations and gauges, but were all maked on the barrels National Sporting Fraternity Limited,& had their logo silk screened on the initial shield and were serial numbered 1 through 100 in the series.

I owned NSFL 28-4 for awhile. It was a really nice 28ga two barrel set, but it had the 14 3/4" LOP and I couldn't shoot it worth a darn, so it moved on to a new owner. Now I wish I had it back! These are some of the one-off Repro's that might make them a little more collectable in the future.

Here's link for some insight on the NSFL: https://www.trophyroombooks.com/amwell_about.htm

Bob Jurewicz
08-15-2011, 09:51 PM
Ken,
I have a 12 G case if you do not.
Bob Jurewicz

Bill Murphy
08-16-2011, 01:25 PM
Kenny's new gun has Parker triggers according to the ad. I wonder if you can tell from the outside?

Kenny Graft
08-19-2011, 01:32 PM
I did not perchase the SCC...due to the trigger swap, but pad, and no maker case....to mutch customizing for the price....The seller is out of town for a while and will most likely relist after he returns...Keep your eyes open for it if you have intrest...thanks all SXS ohio...(-: