PDA

View Full Version : Alaska Phezants

Richard Flanders
11-07-2010, 08:14 PM
Trigg, his brother Mark and I put out 30 pheasants at the preserve yesterday and chased them up....literally for some of them that ran or flew into the forest. We only lost 7 and had a long day of it. The roosters are tough this time of year; you just about have to cut their head off to get them to go to sleep and stay put so you can do some dog training. I just spent most of the day cleaning what I brought back to Fairbanks. I shot a Daly and a JD Dougall, Trigg a Ferlib 20 and a nice Merkel 28, and Mark his O/Uwhatever and his $200 church-sale VH12 with two bolts through the wrist. He got his first birds with it yesterday. I made the 7hr drive back home after hunting all day. Trigg is going in to put a bird up that Shine is pointing in the pic below. I expect Rich Anderson to order up some NICE WARM weather for our annual Michigan hunt coming up soon.

charlie cleveland
11-08-2010, 10:49 AM
great picture... i love to hunt in snow but dont get to do much of that in miss. we usally turn loose preserve quail in febuary here....they too dont want to stay put we usally have about 70 percent recvery of birds....our wild quail numbers havegone down hill not enough of them to warrant hunting them....keep those snow hunting pictures coming..... charlie

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
11-08-2010, 11:11 PM
Richard: Were you hunting in the mat valley outside of wasilla. I use to love going out there to shoot birds,being that was the only place at that time to shoot pheasants in Alaska. Thomas L. Benson Sr.

calvin humburg
11-09-2010, 07:33 AM
Did you twirl the birds to make them dizzy sometimes that helps says my friend. thats a pretty picture, fingers get cold? ch Thats a good lookin dog is it a tick dog.

Richard Flanders
11-09-2010, 11:21 AM
Thomas:Yes, we were out at Garys on Pt McKenzie. He has a LOT of birds left so we were trying to lighten his load a bit. Several other groups were out doing the same; it was busy, especially considering the conditions. At least it was warm, almost too warm. There's another place that raises elk and buffalo that used to also have birds but he is out of the bird business. Del Ray I think his name is. Trigg hunted sandhills at his place this fall.

I dizzied them until I thought they would croak and pulled their legs Calvin; they still woke up and ran sometimes. The dog is a German shorthair pointer. He woulda been a 'tick dog' in Minnesota had Trigg not had a collar and spray on him.