PDA

View Full Version : Rail line at sunset in bird country

Jack Cronkhite
11-07-2010, 02:41 PM
The sights we hunters see. A great part of my enjoyment of the hunt is the show that Mother Nature can provide at every turn. She can get especially flamboyant as the day draws to a close. This is from a couple seasons back.

http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=143&pictureid=1869

http://parkerguns.org/forums/picture.php?albumid=143&pictureid=1867

charlie cleveland
11-07-2010, 08:58 PM
mother nature must have worked overtime on this one...very nice shot...thanks charlie

Jack Cronkhite
11-07-2010, 09:44 PM
Charlie: One thing Mother Nature does on the prairies is give us some amazing surnrises and sunsets. For a few minutes the world is transformed into a setting that continues to inspire artists and poets. That particular day, my hunting partner and I came home birdless but images like these are priceless for the memories they bring back whenever gazed upon. I watched this sky for about 10 minutes, starting with just a hint of color and ending in the blackness of nightfall - but what a show during the intervening 10 minutes !! Even brought the old rail line to life.
Cheers,
Jack

Dean Romig
11-07-2010, 09:57 PM
Those are some really nice pictures Jack. You're right - we hunters see nature at its grandest and some of the very best sights we see are when we don't have a camera along. I've taken to carrying a camera on as many outings as I can. I just hate to lose that opportunity for a Kodak Moment.

I think you need some mountains out there Jack.

These pictures are from the doorway of "Grouse Camp" in Vermont at sunrise.
The first picture is a zoom of Mt. Washington over in New Hampshire's Presidential Range. Look closely to see the weather observatory on the peak at the right. The highest winds ever recorded in North America were recorded there at something like 252 m.p.h.
The second picture is the same but not zoomed and you can see the trees on Toot Hill.
The third picture is of Mt LaFayette about thirty miles SW of Mt Washington. Austin lives about another forty miles SW of Mt LaFayette.

Jack Cronkhite
11-07-2010, 10:14 PM
Beautiful Dean, mind you I now sleep through the sunrises:rolleyes:
I do love mountain country. Grew up in the foothills of the Rocky Mountains but now I'm a prairie boy that can enjoy both worlds. As a boy, I could find roosters just a bit north east of here. In fact, my first "wing shot" rooster was taken there (as a boy, I was not adverse to ground sluicing a rooster and missed most anything in the air. Made me really appreciate how my Dad was able to knock everything out of the sky he pulled on. I'm still a 50/50 wing shot with occasional flirtation with greatness 70/30). Dad was also a taxidermist, so I still have my first fair rooster gracing a cement wall in the man cave. When this guy dropped, I couldn't believe it finally had happened for me. I was on my way to moving the addiction up a notch.

Cheers,
Jack

Chuck Heald
11-08-2010, 08:54 AM
Great pics, guys . I really like the composition on those rails, Jack . Draws you into the picture

charlie cleveland
11-08-2010, 10:50 AM
i will never tire or cease to be amazed by the beauty of the things GOD has let us look at..... thanks fellas charlie

calvin humburg
11-10-2010, 08:09 AM
You 2 got those cameras bucked out. Great pictures.

Jack Cronkhite
11-10-2010, 09:27 AM
Great pics, guys . I really like the composition on those rails, Jack . Draws you into the picture

Thanks Chuck. It was a neat sight. I wanted to have the old telephone poles up into the sky as well but when I got that angle, I lost the reflection on the rails. Red rails at sunset won out. I had never seen such a sight before nor have I since.
Cheers,
Jack

John Dallas
11-10-2010, 09:33 AM
Here's a sunrise at my grandson's first duck hunt last fall. Beautiful stuff at either end of the day.

He got a chance to shoot his great grandpa's M31 Remmie

Jack Cronkhite
11-10-2010, 09:42 AM
Very nice John and a glorious day that must have been as a new generation joins the hunt. It is doubly great when it begins by hoisting "Great Grandpa's" gun, no matter what type of shootin' iron that may be. It's just wonderful to be able to have that connection.

Cheers,
Jack

Richard Flanders
11-11-2010, 12:14 AM
Nice little hills there Dean.... you need some mountains out there...!::whistle:

Dean Romig
11-11-2010, 06:50 AM
You've got me there Rich. Ours aren't terribly impressive compared to yours are they? I've been to the Grand Tetons, Glacier Nat'l Park and the Alaskan Range and was awed by those rugged mountains but there's always some kind of comfort in coming back to our New England mountains (or hills compared to yours).

Richard Flanders
11-11-2010, 01:07 PM
Sorry Dean; couldn't help myself there.... Roger that on the eastern mountains that you can actually wander through relatively easily vs our up here that are pretty inaccessible. There's nothing like the mtns like yours during fall color change too.

Dean Romig
11-11-2010, 01:25 PM
No need to apologize, you've got every reason to be proud.

Definitely pretty here in the autumn though.

Dave Fuller
11-17-2010, 10:22 PM
Mt Hood from the Coast Range (West Coast Ruffed grouse country)

Jack Cronkhite
11-17-2010, 11:12 PM
'Tis a grand planet we have the honour to travel for a while. Nice moment captured :)