PDA

View Full Version : Saginaw Bay Diver Hunt

Kurt Densmore
11-02-2010, 08:35 PM
Mark Ouellette in my Busick Layout. Mark is shooting his recently acquired GH 10 gauge. He shot a Redhead and a Bufflehead before we got blown off the bay and had to pack it in for the day. The second picture is Mark and the big yellow dog "Radar" in his Scull Boat. I got a chance to ride with him as we sculled on a pair of Scaup. We got within range and I was able to shoot one of them. Lots of fun.

Mark Ouellette
11-03-2010, 10:30 AM
Thanks Kurt,

The gun is actually a well worn but tight, bolt through the stock EH 10 gauge. I used it to lay out 5 Canada Geese prior to the recent layout hunt. The ol' EH isn't much to look at but even at 121 years old it is still capable of performing its primary function.

Mark

John Dallas
11-03-2010, 11:50 AM
Kurt hosted me several days before the layout shoot. We ended up shooting puddle ducks at the Fish Point public area. We brought home a few birds, and had a nice day. BTW, his handmade calls really do the job. We were shooting over my homemade cork decoys, so it was a real "Made in Michign" kind of day

Kurt Densmore
11-03-2010, 09:10 PM
I felt privileged to hunt over your cork decoys John. They are very nice decoys and I would share a blind and the decoys with you anytime. The Busick layout was made in Michigan by me and the scull boat was made by Lou Tish down along Lake Saint Clair. I have the molds for the diver decoys and made those out of foam (some EPS and some Urethane). It always lends another dimension to the hunt when you hunt with hand made gear.

Kurt

Kurt hosted me several days before the layout shoot. We ended up shooting puddle ducks at the Fish Point public area. We brought home a few birds, and had a nice day. BTW, his handmade calls really do the job. We were shooting over my homemade cork decoys, so it was a real "Made in Michign" kind of day

Harry Collins
11-04-2010, 01:13 PM
Kurt,

How do you stay warm? I love to duck hunt, though I am always frozen to the core.

Harry

Kurt Densmore
11-04-2010, 09:49 PM
It has been warm this year. Getting into the high 40's during the day. Add a stiff wind and it is invigorating.....haven't had to break out the long underware yet. It has got into the low 20's in the AM this week. Right now it is 39....pretty warm.

Come on up here Harry. You will quickly acclimate. :whistle:

Kurt

Kurt,

How do you stay warm? I love to duck hunt, though I am always frozen to the core.

Harry

jerrybucci
11-05-2010, 09:28 AM
very nice love diver hunting

Fred Preston
11-06-2010, 02:45 PM
Kurt, this post doesn't warrant its own thread so I'll impose on yours, with apologies. I most enjoy waterfowling from a floating device, and yours are top of the line. Saginaw Bay is probably the best and bigest duck puddle in the Country (not counting Lake Erie). I am generally restricted to our inland rivers (creeks), impoundments and sloughs with my little canoe. The other day I was sneaking around on the Black Fork of the Mohican and jumped a flock of our littlest ducks and brought down one of the two I shot at. The little buggers blow out like grouse so quickness is of the essence. Also, it takes more than 3 or 4 to make more than a horseduver. Anyway, below is a pic of a little hen which I think is one of the handsomest ducks around.

Kurt Densmore
11-06-2010, 03:18 PM
Great job Fred. They are little speed demons. We had two flocks buzz us yesterday AM and didn't get a shot at either flock. They have the uncanning ability to catch you with your pants down, so to speak. We were hunting Fish Point in the flooded corn a couple of weeks ago and I had a pair of Blue-Wing Teal fly over the corn. I had time to see them coming and was prepared. The gave me a crossing shot and I swung on the lead bird. Somehow I managed to knock them both down stone dead........I have no idea how that happened as they were close and I was shooting a modified choke and steel shot. I thought for sure one of the other guys shot one of them but they denyed taking a shot. Good luck hunting in Ohio.

Kurt

Kurt, this post doesn't warrant its own thread so I'll impose on yours, with apologies. I most enjoy waterfowling from a floating device, and yours are top of the line. Saginaw Bay is probably the best and bigest duck puddle in the Country (not counting Lake Erie). I am generally restricted to our inland rivers (creeks), impoundments and sloughs with my little canoe. The other day I was sneaking around on the Black Fork of the Mohican and jumped a flock of our littlest ducks and brought down one of the two I shot at. The little buggers blow out like grouse so quickness is of the essence. Also, it takes more than 3 or 4 to make more than a horseduver. Anyway, below is a pic of a little hen which I think is one of the handsomest ducks around.