PDA

View Full Version : Ole Reliable

William Maynard
10-29-2010, 06:52 PM
Set out this crisp fall morning with ole reliable. Took my first hen within a half hour. No pics. of the morning hunt forgot the camera. After some lunch set out for alittle afternoon hunt. Benny put up this nice rooster....

Larry Frey
10-29-2010, 09:38 PM
Nice job William. Tomorrow is supposed to be crisp and clear so I will bow hunt in the morning then come home and get the wife, dog, and a couple of Parkers and be back in the woods for an afternoon bird hunt. Life is good.:)

William Maynard
10-30-2010, 06:16 AM
Larry, Good luck with your hunt!

Mark Landskov
10-30-2010, 07:20 AM
I am envious of many of you! I love my bird hunting, but all we have are Ruffed Grouse and Ruffed Grouse. Pheasant hunting sounds like a blast! Someday, I will plan an expidition out west for some variety. Cheers!

William Maynard
10-30-2010, 10:38 AM
Larry, Headed out at 6:30 this morning. Got into the woods just after 7:00. I was done about a hour later. I limited out. Hit them just right. Did not take the Parker this morning. I have a old 1949 Stevens 16 Ga. that was a gift from my god father when I turned 12, just after I got my NRA. Not a very glamorous gun but, a true work horse. Got my first pheasants and deer with it. It has a history with me. This is "Benny's" second year of hunting and he has proven to be a good hunter and a good friend. First thing this morning he put up a nice Rooster which I could not get a shot at. (Okay I missed) :crying: Then he put up two nice hens.... which I did get. I have also enclosed a photo of him after the weekends hunt...

charlie cleveland
10-30-2010, 12:33 PM
a good hunt it was....fine looking dog if you had not told us it was not a stevens i would of not knowed that it was not a parker...i also hunt some with a stevens 16 ga.... keep us posted....... charlie

William Maynard
10-30-2010, 01:47 PM
Mark, I have to say, I am a bit jealous of you.... I have not seen or shot at a grouse in about 20 years. When I was in my teens I use to see grouse quite often. Now I do not see any in CT. I am sure there must be some somewhere.

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
10-30-2010, 02:34 PM
William: Has there ever been a season in ct. that your not allowed to shoot hens or is there that many birds that they feel it doesn't affect the hatches. I have always been taught even when duck hunting to try and shoot drakes if possible.

Mark: I have a son that shoots pheasants in minn. You need to just head south down into farm country and i think you will be surprised at the number of birds. Thomas L. Benson Sr.

William Maynard
10-30-2010, 04:57 PM
Thomas,
Here in CT. our birds our "stocked" for us to hunt so, it does not matter if you take hens or roosters......

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
10-30-2010, 06:35 PM
William: I didn"t know that i was glad i asked the question because i have seen other post about ct. and i was confused. I just love your dog benny it brings back alot of memories of a dog that could have been a twin to yours when i was a lad. He was shot and killed by a irate neighbor when i was 13. I think i cried for 3 days. Thomas L. Benson Sr.

William Maynard
10-30-2010, 06:38 PM
Thomas, Sorry to hear of your old dog. I am 41 and I think I would cry for 3 months.... That pheasant hunting out in Minn. sounds real interesting. I would like to check it out sometime......

calvin humburg
10-30-2010, 08:22 PM
Boy, I like that stright grip gun Whilliam. ch