PDA

View Full Version : Stock bending

paul shields
07-16-2009, 11:10 AM
Wouldn't you know it. Cleaned out my stacks of critically valuable papers last week. :banghead: Now I've decided to get the stocks on my Trojan 20 and GH 16 bent to a DAC that fits me. A year or so ago several members were kind enough to share the names of gunsmiths they trust with stock bending. My carefully saved notes are gone! :cuss: Please remind me, who do you trust with this kind of work?
Thanks
Paul

Don Kaas
07-16-2009, 11:37 AM
Mike Orlen Amherst Mass 413-256-1630 He's done dozens for me Purdeys to Parkers.

paul shields
07-17-2009, 08:44 AM
Don,
Thanks. I'm trying to contact Mike. In the meantime, have ordered some shipping boxes from MidwayUSA and received some advice from a gunsmith in Lititz. According to him, my objective of bending these stocks from a DAC of 1 5/8 to 1 1/4 -- 3/8 of bend is impractical and would result in the heel being way too high even if it could be done. Have you found there to be limit on how much you can successfully bend a stock?
Paul

Don Kaas
07-17-2009, 11:04 AM
You are lucky to get 1/2" of bend up at the heel on average especially with American walnut pistol grip stocks. Geometry being somewhat inflexible that would mean perhaps an 1/8" up at the comb. I recommend you contact Mike and try the bend up on one of the guns and see if it works better for you.

james van blaricum
07-17-2009, 11:41 AM
One of the best stock makers that I know of is Jim Greenwood in Augusta Kansas. I have
had him bend a stock on my K80 and my dhe 20 ga. but he likes to have you there to have you shoot your gun at a target so he knows exactly how much cast off or on you need.

james van blaricum

Rich Anderson
07-17-2009, 08:35 PM
I just had a hammer gun's stock bent both for cast and DAC. It came out beautifully:). Two plane bends are hard to achieve but he got a lot out of it. The smith is in MI and I'll gladly PM you his name and contact number if you wish.

Don, the hammer gun came out to with in 1/16th of an inch of my stock measurements. I'll give her a run in the morning.

Paul Harm
07-17-2009, 09:07 PM
I've bent stocks over an inch at the heel. Not all will bend that much, but have had luck even with American walnut. Sometimes it takes two or three heats. I've heard a lot of good talk about Mike. Call him and see what he says, Paul