PDA

View Full Version : this morning

charlie cleveland
10-27-2010, 01:06 PM
just could not stay in the house this morning..at day break grabed the 10 ga lc smith hammerless 32 inch full choke barrels using the 10 to 12 gauge adapters..gauge mate...got to the woods at 7.00 it was just good daylight...the squirls were really stirring..i was hunting under a group of large red oak trees the squirls were busy in the red oaks cuuing acorns..must have been about 6 squirls above me i finally got a clear shot..the old lc 10 dropped him clean at about 45 steps...things were silent for a few minutes then i sawone running through the timber . i let go with the first barrel then the secound barrel..squirl got away clean..i then seen the third squirl raised that old 10 up waited till i had to lower that gun down...never seen that old fuzzy again...walked about a hundred yards and stopped up a pine tree the 4 th squirl went..thought for surei had him in the bag wrong over comes to crows out of range but i tried for them with no luck..watched the 4 th squirl run off as i loaded the gun up....but a good hunt any way..better than setting in the house twiddling my thumbs..... charlie

Larry Frey
10-27-2010, 03:05 PM
Charlie, I can't say much about your choice of wepon ;) but you sure know how to have a good time.

charlie cleveland
10-27-2010, 10:14 PM
thanks larry...you know some of us have to use these oldwore out lc smiths...ha gonna get up and go in the morning if i feel like it...might use a parker ifyou think it might kill a squirl.... charlie

charlie cleveland
10-30-2010, 08:45 AM
got up this morning was a lot cooler than usally..looked out across the field it looked like we had a snow was the first big frost of the season..sure would like to grab the old parker and head for the woods..but alas have to help with thehalloween funtions for the neighbor hood kids..will beroasting hotdogs over open fire and a hay ride afterwards..what a man has to give up...such a good day for me and the parker..oh wellsome times a man just has to grin and bear it....hope yall are not in the same boat with me today.... charlie

Robin Lewis
10-30-2010, 10:43 AM
Charlie,
Sounds like you have a great day ahead even if you aren't dragging a Parker around in the fields. Roasting hotdogs with kids and a hayride sounds as good or maybe even better. I wish I could be doing something as fun!

charlie cleveland
10-30-2010, 12:41 PM
thanks robin if you lived closer you could come over and roast you a hot dog.....times with kids are precious.... charlie

Robin Lewis
10-30-2010, 01:29 PM
Thanks for the invite, maybe next time:)

charlie cleveland
10-31-2010, 01:13 PM
a good time was had by all yesterday...more food and candy than we could eat...grand daughter let her animals out for halloween.. had a minuture horse with colt followed by 2 goats... never was there such a sight as this 4 some...here comes lucky the mare leading the way followed by her colt oreo....then bringing up the rear was lilly the nanny goat followed by sambo the billy goat...sambo would ocasionally take the lead with short bursts of energy followed by some of the mostantic jumping and running sideways ive ever seen....billy goat tried to eat the cup cakes up and luckey the mare tried to eat up what ever was on the table...a fine time was had by all even old blue my blue tick hound went on the hayride.....come toomorrow it will be back to normal me and the old side by sides.... charlie

charlie cleveland
11-04-2010, 06:41 PM
went hunting yesterday evening for squirls..decided to use the parker 20 ga gh grade 26 inch barrels cly cly bore...used off the shelf dove loads in no 7 1/2.. thelittle 20 felt a little odd as i was toting it ..the gun felt like it weighed almost nothing...all i have been using this year for squirls was tge 8 and 10 bores...they will do the job...it was really dry hard to slip on the squirls but i did manage to get within shooting distance of 2 fuzzy tails...that little 20 ga done a good job on both squirls..they were shot at about 30 paces...i think i will try the little 20 again soon... russ jackson that little 20 is a fine gun thanks again... charlie

Dean Romig
11-04-2010, 08:43 PM
russ jackson that little 20 is a fine gun thanks again... charlie

:eek: Not the CHE ?? :shock: Please tell me he didn't sell you the CHE :knowbetter:

Russ Jackson
11-06-2010, 09:58 PM
Dean ,Not to worry ,The CHE is right where it belongs ! At least where I think it belongs :whistle: There are those that may not agree ? I had a nice little 20 G Grade , ,A really nice little gun , I told Charlie about it and he tried her out and loves it ,I am sure glad ,everybody needs a gun they enjoy carrying and can shoot well ,and I believe this one fits Charlie to a Tee ! I have been selling a lot of my Parkers ,but ,not all of them ,Dean ,I have a couple ear marked for you if I part with them ,I won't forget Ya! Russ

charlie cleveland
11-06-2010, 11:44 PM
russ that little 20 gh does fit me to a tee....next week will tell the tell will be trying it on phezants in kansas...i know the little 20 is up to the task its myself im worried about...you to be fair shot on ducks and quail but will be my first time ever to pull trigger on a phezant...will let every body know how i done in a few days.... thanks again russ charlie

Russ Jackson
11-07-2010, 05:27 AM
Good Morning Charlie ,WE shoot a lot of pheasant here in Pa. although they are Game Commission birds ,they are raised differently today than twenty or thirty years ago and are much better hunting than the ones that used to wait by the road for the stock truck to come back and get them ! With that said ,the trick of hitting the Pheasant ,remember his tail is so long but the " Kill Zone " is really a much smaller area , if he is flying right to left or left to right as long as you are looking down the barrel and can see that famous white ring around his neck as you are swinging with him ,you will do alright ,too many people shoot at the tail ,and the only one that works out well for is Mr. Pheasant ! Have a great trip hunting ,can't wait to hear about the adventure ! Russ

John Dallas
11-07-2010, 07:23 AM
The English say that you should pull through the bird, then pull the trigger "Bum, Belly, Beak, BANG"

Dean Romig
11-07-2010, 07:27 AM
If you're a skeet or SC shooter - imagine the pheasant's head as the clay targert. It really is that simple.

Russ Jackson
11-07-2010, 08:37 AM
I'm not a skeet shooter ,but I really love to hunt birds ! Since I am the guy with the dogs ,I take a lot of my buddies hunting ,the hardest thing for a newbie to pointing dog style hunting is getting accustom to knowing the bird is there and is on its way at any second ,you can see the anxiousness in each step in to flush ,then they unload the first shot before the gun is even near the shoulder ,or the cheek ,then try to regain composure and you watch as the wad passes five feet behind the bird ! Of course there is never any ribbing to go along with any of this !!:rotf: I like the " Bum, Belly ,Beak system ,same way I shoot just never named it ! Charlie is really going to have a good story to tell for sure !

Rich Anderson
11-07-2010, 09:22 AM
Russ-Youre selling your Parkers??:eek: The Horror, the horror:shock:

Russ Jackson
11-07-2010, 11:23 AM
Russ-Youre selling your Parkers??:eek: The Horror, the horror:shock:

Richard , No permanent mental damage done ! I Hope ?????? I had two small safes full of mostly Parkers ,I love them all but ,I find myself always going for the same few guns ,I figured it was time while the market is still fairly decent to pass some of them along ,I have sold all of my Trojans , and all my V Grades ,including an almost new cond. VHE ,that was so well preserved ,I wouldn't even shoot it ,it didn't even have marks on the reciever where it shows the shell casing marks , all of my 10 Ga. guns ,a few other 20 Gauges ,I really like the 20 Ga. guns ,but some I shoot better than others, I had a nice D Grade collection from 10 Ga. to 28 Ga. ,I have kept the 28 Ga. ,one 12 and one 16 , plus a couple random guns ,I am not sure , but I have been kicking around a Repro. 28 w/ Double Triggers and a Beavertail if I can find one I really like ! SEll, but never stop buying !:eek:

Rich Anderson
11-07-2010, 02:11 PM
I reach for the same ones also...at least for this season:rotf: My favorite is the one I just bought in this case a GH16 0 frame damascuss. Now I just need/want a set of 20ga damascuss bbls to fit to it.

I have the same problem with rifles as I sighted in three for the upcoming firearms deer season.

My theory is an empty safe is a lonely safe:)

charlie cleveland
11-07-2010, 04:18 PM
russ i like you have bee pondering on selling a few of my gatherings in life....i was in the collecting mode most of my life....but it sure is hard to sell some of the things we have gathered up in our lives...im still crying over a 410 stevens and a 35 chev. 3 window coupe that i had...but at least we presered those things a little longer for the next generation...... charlie

Dave Suponski
11-07-2010, 05:08 PM
Charlie, I would have been crying over that 35 Chevy 3 window coupe also...

John Dallas
11-07-2010, 05:12 PM
Charlie - I'm guessing small block Chevy under the hood?

Russ Jackson
11-07-2010, 06:42 PM
Charlie, I would have been crying over that 35 Chevy 3 window coupe also...

Dave; You were reading my mind ! That's like my most recent purchase ,the 1955 MG TF ,I bought it for an investment I tell myself one Summer then off to auction but each time I walk past it in the garage ,I stop and think , Boy I sure do like that little jitney !

Frank Cronin
11-07-2010, 08:05 PM
Dave; You were reading my mind ! That's like my most recent purchase ,the 1955 MG TF ,I bought it for an investment I tell myself one Summer then off to auction but each time I walk past it in the garage ,I stop and think , Boy I sure do like that little jitney !

Russ, you have a nice car and keep it! If it has the 1500 motor don't let it go since they made only a few of them. Very rare. I have a 1954 MG TF #1414 / 30748 that has been in the family since 1957. Color is birch grey with red interior. My grandpa saw an ad in the paper and went and bought from a dealer in RI. This is a GI purchased car from Germany to the States. This has the Nuffield – Products CHR ODENDAHL FRANKFURT /M TEL 64336 dealer badge on the right side hood bonnet. Back in those days after the War to help with Great Britain’s economy which was in shambles they marketed to the GI's stationed in Germany these inexpensive two seater convertibles. To increase exports and to appeal to the American’s they added a little extra chrome and white wall tires which it always had since 1957. GI's could have them shipped to the States and it cost them practically nothing. I am in the process of restoring and when I am not reading the PGCA forum, I am on EBay searching for parts!!

Safety Fast!

Frank

charlie cleveland
11-07-2010, 08:09 PM
nope the 35 still had the stove bolt 6 in it...was a neat orginal car...a 38 chevy coupe now resides in its place... it does have 327 350 horse under the hood...makes for a fast ride to the hunting woods..... charlie

John Dallas
11-07-2010, 08:11 PM
Charlie - You're making my head hurt! I crewed on a 38 Chevy business coupe B Gasser in 1959/60. Small block bored and stroked. At the end, had an Isky roller and Hilborn Injection

charlie cleveland
11-08-2010, 09:38 AM
john you were a lucky person to have lived and experianced the b gasser days...all i ever got to do was watch those old gassers go fast....had a friend name was carlton franks he use to run double bb gassers you ever hear of him.....to me the 50s and 60 s were the the best time a person could have lived....but it aint to bad doing a little living now....ha. charlie

John Dallas
11-08-2010, 09:51 AM
Charlie - Grew up in Delaware and raced in NJ and Southeast Pa.

Car was owned by a rich kid, who hired Harold Ramsey, the National stock winner in '57 and '58 to drive for him. Had another man, George Weiler, of Birdsboro, Pa who was the mechanic.

Their names were shown on the side of the car as: "Spender", "Bender" and "Mender"

charlie cleveland
11-08-2010, 10:37 AM
john that fella could not have given those fellas a better names...i will have to drag up some old history on them if i can...boy them were the days..... charlie