PDA

View Full Version : Dogs and bones

Kirk Potter
03-08-2019, 07:35 PM
Saw this earlier today. Just don’t do it. Pork and poultry bones are a big NO. Just not worth it.

Jerry Harlow
03-08-2019, 10:46 PM
Lost our pet "guard" dog to a box of raisins that sat around for a month while remodeling the kitchen. He ignored them then ate the whole box and took out his kidneys in a day; a week and $2000 later had to put him to sleep.

7 Human Foods That Can Be Fatal to Dogs

Avocados. Avocados contain a toxin called persin. ...
Xylitol. Xylitol is a sugar alcohol that is often used to sweeten candy, chewing gum, toothpaste and baked goods. ...
Coffee, Tea and Other Caffeine. ...
Grapes and Raisins. ...
Alcohol and Yeast Dough. ...
Chocolate. ...
Salt. ...

https://www.healthline.com/nutrition/7-foods-fatal-to-dogs

Dean Romig
03-08-2019, 11:08 PM
There are no words...

Ed Norman
03-09-2019, 06:30 AM
Kirk,
Thanks for posting this, we were leaving our brittany "cash" out of his kennel in the house while we ran errands occasionally. One time my wife came back and she could smell something burning, cash had jumped up on our gas stove where we had cooked eggs in a pan that morning and left the pan unwashed on the front burner. Somehow he turned the knob while jumping up to get at that pan. He goes in the kennel now anytime we leave. After he did that we triple checked the house, a bigger dog can always jump up on a bathroom sink, and pull down a toothpaste tube as an example. We just shut our bathroom doors now if he is loose in the house. All the knobs are pulled off our stove now and we only put a knob on when were getting ready to cook. I really feel for that man that lost his dog.

Mills Morrison
03-09-2019, 09:04 AM
Sherwood will get into anything he can. We have to watch him constantly

Rich Anderson
03-09-2019, 02:45 PM
There are garden plants that can be toxic as well. A good friend bought one of Gunner's pups and he got into a house plant and died. I have never given any of our dogs a bone of any kind.

Dean Romig
03-09-2019, 02:56 PM
Seed pods of ornamental palms, commonly found in the south, are highly toxic and usually deadly for dogs who find them and chew and eat them.

Gary Laudermilch
03-09-2019, 04:34 PM
Dogs eat dogfood, period.

Garry L Gordon
03-10-2019, 02:53 PM
Hold 'em close...and watch them even more closely.

Timothy Salgado
03-10-2019, 03:35 PM
The only kind of “bones” I give my dogs are the proper size Nylabones. When my English Cocker was young we gave him the “Busy Bones” and other packed meat product made bones sold in stores. A finger joint sized piece lodged in his intestines entrance causing blockage and problems. A bowel surgery and a few thousand dollars later and he recovered without further issues. We learned our lesson and it’s dog food only and small crunchy treats or the Nylabones to satisfy their urge to chew.

Mark Ray
03-10-2019, 10:30 PM
Dogs eat dogfood, period.

So so sorry for your loss.

I lost a setter, Freckles, in the 90’s to a quail beak. We had a long day hunting, and as was my habit, I would toss her and her kennelmate Rambo, hearts and livers while we were cleaning birds. My guest, not understanding what to NOT feed dogs, had thown her some bobwhite heads. I found her dead in the dog trailer when I got home, and the vet did an autopsy and said the sharp beak had cut through somewhere, and she bled out internally. From that day, I dont give dogs anything but dry dog food and water.

Crazy, as dangerous as a bird dogs life is down in this neck of the woods, to lose a dog to that.

Again, i feel your pain, a couple of members lost their pups this weekend.