PDA

View Full Version : Beauregard of Rebel Ridge - My Setter Pup

Dave Tatman
03-07-2019, 11:29 AM
Here are some photos of Beau, my ten month old setter pup. He is a grandson of Shadow Oak Bo, and this guy is built for speed! Beautiful tri-color fella. He is a big boy, taller than most of the setters that I've been around. Goes about 60 pounds.

He has taken to training very well. He is totally gun-broke, holds points steady to wing and shot, and retrieves OK for a young dog. He is whistle-broke, and we've started on Whoa-breaking. My wife is happy that he is doing very well at heel. Coming from a field dog like Shadow Oak Bo, he's a big runner and he has a ton of energy, so we get a big run most every morning on the farm, and then a big play time in the evening at our local dog park.

Rebel Ridge is a local guy's private kennel here in Kentucky, and I have been working Beau out quite a bit at Gasper River Kennels (Setters and GSP's), also here in south central Kentucky.

I love this guy, and can't wait for this fall's grouse season.

Dave

Dean Romig
03-07-2019, 11:58 AM
What a handsome pup he is! Is there some Llewellin blood in there?

Reggie Bishop
03-07-2019, 11:59 AM
Fine looking Setter pup Dave!!

Dave Tatman
03-07-2019, 12:13 PM
Yes, Dean, I believe there is some Llewellin blood in his gene pool..... :)

Dave

Randy G Roberts
03-07-2019, 12:29 PM
Very nice Dave. We're gonna have to meet up at Elk Creek again and get some practice in before bird season.

John Dallas
03-07-2019, 02:47 PM
Hope we'll see him in Mich this fall

Dave Tatman
03-07-2019, 02:48 PM
Chances are good, John! Very, very good! In fact, I may bring him along on the spring trout trip in May!

Dave

Eric Eis
03-07-2019, 03:04 PM
Great looking setter Dave. I maybe getting my female setter this summer too.

Dave Tatman
03-07-2019, 03:07 PM
Beau is my first setter, having been a lifelong Lab guy. Labs are like the Swiss Army knife of dogs and I've used mine for ducks, upland birds, and grouse, but I am sure enjoying have my first true English Setter bird dog.

Good luck to you, Eric!

Dave

Jay Gardner
03-07-2019, 03:13 PM
Proud dog-dad and understandably so. Looking forward to meeting him in May or this fall. Lucky for us there are enough couches at the Oxbow for the dogs - hopefully they'll be willing to share with us.

Cheers,

Jay

Gary Laudermilch
03-07-2019, 04:17 PM
Yes, a beautiful setter. He gets his height from Bo. It takes a leggy dog to run the Grand National. You will have many fun years with that guy. Let him run!

Ed Norman
03-07-2019, 10:54 PM
What a beautiful setter. Dave I live up near BigD, in northern lower michigan. If your over this way during grouse season, get a hold of me, I would love to watch that dog hunt.

Dean Romig
03-08-2019, 09:40 AM
Beau is my first setter, having been a lifelong Lab guy. Labs are like the Swiss Army knife of dogs and I've used mine for ducks, upland birds, and grouse, but I am sure enjoying have my first true English Setter bird dog
Dave

I’m sure Dave is learning this fact more and more each day and as the pup gets a year or two on him it will become more and more apparent that setters are in no way like labs and it is unfair to either breed to compare them.

Grace is my first setter after having a couple of labs and a couple of Brittanies.
I love my Gracie dearly but she is not a lab and I made the mistake in her first couple of years of wondering why she wasn’t more like Tobie, my lab of almost 14 years and why Tobie couldn’t have been more like Gracie in other ways.

They are all wonderful dogs. Yes - I would definitely get another Twombly Setter and yes, I would definitely get another lab. They’re just different.

Dave Tatman
03-08-2019, 10:55 PM
Dean, I so agree. Thank you. You have captured the situation perfectly. Labs and Setters are both wonderful dogs in their own right. They both do what they were born to do wonderfully, even though those tasks are not necessarily the same. Different breeds and temperaments, for sure, but worthy of our love and attention (and access to our furniture!) no matter the breed.

And I'm fairly certain that there will be another Lab in our future to pal around with Beau.

Dave

Gerry Addison
03-09-2019, 12:15 PM
He looks really nice. Big Boy!

Marty Kohler
03-09-2019, 04:54 PM
Dean,
I have been a Lab guy my whole life but I'd love to have a Setter as you chose after your Tobie..I wondered if you would expound on the specific differences you have found having experience with both......

Thanks, Marty

John Dallas
03-09-2019, 05:14 PM
I'm not Dean, but... I've been a Lab/Springer guy fro the last 30 years or so. To me, the difference is that flushers/retrievers understand that hunting is a team sport. Pointers/setters, not so much

Dean Romig
03-09-2019, 09:52 PM
I wouldn’t necessarily subscribe to that. It has mostly to do with the training/trainer on how
a dog sees himself in the hunting picture. Maybe instinct tells a pointer/setter to be a ‘self-hunter’ or maybe not, but if recognized early a wise trainer can overcome such a trait.

I think labs are generally speaking, just more biddable, more easy-going and more susceptible to consistency in training.

But each dog is different regardless of the breed. I’m just speaking from my own experience. Grace is stubborn - Tobie never was.
Grace thinks she knows what she should be doing, where she should be going, how close she can get to a bird... better than I. I need to remind her sometimes just who the boss is. But I only need to remind her once. We may always have our differences of opinion but I blame myself for not getting her on to birds often enough in her first couple of years. We were on Grace’s first live bird training weekend when we learned of Kathy’s health situation.... Everything in our lives changed from that moment on.

We love Grace passionately and she is almost the grouse dog I want, and with patience and consistency we will get there soon - this year hopefully.

legh higgins
03-10-2019, 12:17 PM
I wouldn’t necessarily subscribe to that. It has mostly to do with the training/trainer on how
a dog sees himself in the hunting picture. Maybe instinct tells a pointer/setter to be a ‘self-hunter’ or maybe not, but if recognized early a wise trainer can overcome such a trait.

I think labs are generally speaking, just more biddable, more easy-going and more susceptible to consistency in training.

But each dog is different regardless of the breed. I’m just speaking from my own experience. Grace is stubborn - Tobie never was.
Grace thinks she knows what she should be doing, where she should be going, how close she can get to a bird... better than I. I need to remind her sometimes just who the boss is. But I only need to remind her once. We may always have our differences of opinion but I blame myself for not getting her on to birds often enough in her first couple of years. We were on Grace’s first live bird training weekend when we learned of Kathy’s health situation.... Everything in our lives changed from that moment on.

We love Grace passionately and she is almost the grouse dog I want, and with patience and consistency we will get there soon - this year hopefully.

.I have hunted several times with Grace and all she needs is a season with above average bird numbers, don't worry she will be great.

Dean Romig
03-10-2019, 12:47 PM
That, from a man who knows setters better than anyone else I know - Thanks Legh!

Garry L Gordon
03-10-2019, 03:03 PM
I'm not Dean, but... I've been a Lab/Springer guy fro the last 30 years or so. To me, the difference is that flushers/retrievers understand that hunting is a team sport. Pointers/setters, not so much

John, I wish you could be with me when one of my Gordons (true of all 10 that have owned us for over 30 years) stops and looks back at me for direction while we are hunting. I've had them come in to check on us when we were unable to cross a creek quickly, or if one of us stumbles or falls. If that's not a team player, I don't know what is.

However you characterize breeds, the one thing that is so wonderful about a hunting dog is the bond that you as the hunter can create with your pup.

If humans were more like dogs, there would be a lot less trouble in this world.

Garry L Gordon
03-10-2019, 03:06 PM
Here are some photos of Beau, my ten month old setter pup. He is a grandson of Shadow Oak Bo, and this guy is built for speed! Beautiful tri-color fella. He is a big boy, taller than most of the setters that I've been around. Goes about 60 pounds.

He has taken to training very well. He is totally gun-broke, holds points steady to wing and shot, and retrieves OK for a young dog. He is whistle-broke, and we've started on Whoa-breaking. My wife is happy that he is doing very well at heel. Coming from a field dog like Shadow Oak Bo, he's a big runner and he has a ton of energy, so we get a big run most every morning on the farm, and then a big play time in the evening at our local dog park.

Rebel Ridge is a local guy's private kennel here in Kentucky, and I have been working Beau out quite a bit at Gasper River Kennels (Setters and GSP's), also here in south central Kentucky.

I love this guy, and can't wait for this fall's grouse season.

Dave

Sorry, Dave...I got off the thread. Your pup is a beautiful one. I especially like the coloring of his head. It's always nice to have a beautiful dog and gun to look at when the hunting is slow.