PDA

View Full Version : Help with Gun Value

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
07-16-2009, 12:06 AM
This gun was ordered Oct. 19 1911. VHE 20 ga. Vulcan steel 32 inch.2 7/8 chambers,straight grip.RH extra close LH extra close length of pull 14 1/4 drop 1 1/4 comb drop at heel 1 1/2 weight 7 pounds. I have had this gun for 25 yrs and was told that it was worked on by Del Greco because of case color and wood pin in stock. I would like help with your values Thank you Thomas L. Benson Sr.

Dean Romig
07-16-2009, 12:29 AM
It does look like an old Del Grego refinish by the remaining cyanide colors but I can't remark about the pinned stock.
The two things your VHE 20 ga. has going for it are the 32" barrels and the straight grip stock. The condition seems fair but has minimal blueing remaining on the barrels, about 50 - 60% remaining redone case colors, an undesirable buttplate replacement and the pinned stock. Presuming it is tight and on face, the bores are not pitted, the barrels are not dented and everything works as it should . . . I'm not going to hazard a guess but maybe someone else would like to.

Is this gun in the same period of those 3" chamber, twenty gauge, long barreled California duck club guns?

Kevin McCormack
07-16-2009, 12:00 PM
The value of your gun would be enhanced immeasureably by getting rid of that horrible-looking recoil pad ASAP and having a period-correct pad such as a Jostam, Hawkins, Silvers or similar type rubber pad installed. The "California duck club" guns Dean refers to were a dozen or so guns made up for the Widgeon Duck Club by Parker Bros. and featured 32' barrels, tight chokes, and long chambers for duck shooting. Understand that every 20 or 28 ga. Parker with 32" barrels and tight chokes and long chambers were NOT necessarily "duck club" guns. These specifications were very popular in the early part of the century when Parker Bros. actively began pushing smallbore guns for all around use as part of a "cast a broad net" strategy to sell more guns, both to existing owners of larger bore Parkers as well as "newbies" wanting to try something new and different.

C Roger Giles
07-16-2009, 01:10 PM
Kevin is right about the recoil pad that also indicates what I believe the gun was used for, trap or skeet shooting, ie has probably had the hell shot out of it and hence destened to the gunsmith's shop often. I am a trap shooter and know how trap guns are over used, altered, and had gimicks added to help with higher scores and again over used.

Roger

Ed Blake
07-16-2009, 01:44 PM
That's a dandy; I like the gunrack also. Tell us about the other SG gun next to it.

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
07-16-2009, 09:19 PM
Thank all of you for your input. The recoil pad should be replaced but will have to be by the next owner. I have only used the gun 4 or 5 times but it is tight as a drum. the gun next to it is the first Parker i bought a VHE 12 gauge with 32inch and 26 inch barrels. Most of my Parkers are knockabouts but i love them all. I see all the nice Parkers that you guys have and it makes me feel like old lonesome george gobel on Johnny Carson years ago when he said the world is a black tuxedo and i"m a brown pair of shoes. Have a great day Thomas L. Benson Sr.

Dean Romig
07-16-2009, 11:58 PM
Thomas, every Parker is or was somebody's dream gun - somebody's sweetheart gun. You have a couple of very enviable Parkers and you're a lucky guy to have them. You're right, some of the members here have some fabulous Parkers but I'd be afraid to take some of them out shooting. Not so with your Parkers. You can take them afield and make memory after memory. Enjoy them.

George Lander
07-17-2009, 01:21 AM
Thomas: To answer your question as to value, I would put your 20 bore VHE w/ 32 inch tubes at $5,000 - $8,000 even with the pinned head & hi-gain adjustable pad. It looks like you have four more or perhaps five in your rack. Tell us about the others.

Best Regards, George

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
07-17-2009, 08:29 PM
Dean Romig: Memories are exactly what it is about. My grandson shot his first duck with that little 20. I will try and post the picture i have of that occasion if someone can tell me how to go about it. Thomas L. Benson Sr.

Thomas L. Benson Sr.
07-17-2009, 08:39 PM
George Lander: In my gun rack is a vhe 32inch 12 gauge with a matching set of 26 inch barrels. N grade 10 gauge with 30 inch barrels. vh 16 gauge .Two more vh 12 gauge and one trojan 12 . Remington 1894 12 and one Ithaca 12. thank you for asking. Thomas L. Benson Sr.

Pat Dugan
07-17-2009, 08:42 PM
The experts are right, whether you sell or not, having that type of pad makes the gun look rigged up and that alone shows weakness in valuing. You can buy a real Silvers pad or now a Hawkins pad with hearts that will help get over the pin in the stock. Cost Pad at Connecuett Shotgun $40 to $75, labor to install $50.00. Result a super looking Parker

PDD