PDA

View Full Version : First trip to ND with G grade

ken wight
10-22-2010, 10:40 PM
Sorry for the poor quality photos. I have to find a better camera for my next trip at the end of this month.
I acquired this gun this past spring and have been shooting it nonstop all summer in anticipation of the season. I am pleased to report that all my practice paid off. While all birds pointed by my 9 year old veteran shorthair, Sadie and her 1-1/2 year old Brittany apprentice, Wilson, were special, the most memorable part of the trip was the rooster that flushed from 10 yds front-left of Sadie. Just as I got along side her, it cut hard left and I swung and dropped the bird without a twitch at approx 30 yards. Then on the shot, the rooster that was directly out in front of her nose, flushed and cut hard right, my swing brought me just about 180 degrees from where I was pointing, the second bird dropped about the same distance away. Although I'm still hoping for my true double I can't imagine it will match the thrill of my report pair.
The gun is Mod/Full damascus 30", I was shooting 1oz #6 in a Winchester hull with 18.5 grains of WST

charlie cleveland
10-24-2010, 07:28 PM
good results with that old g grade...sounds like dogs done there job as well..hope my 20 ga g grade does as well...will be going to kansas for my first phezant hunt in november..good luck on your return trip..... charlie

ken wight
10-24-2010, 08:50 PM
Hi Charlie,
Are you giong to hunt peserves or private? Hows the report on the bird numbers?

charlie cleveland
10-25-2010, 09:30 AM
ken will be hunting private.. the numbers are up in kansas ..what ive read and heard that phezant numbers are up every where west of the mississippi.. charlie

ken wight
10-25-2010, 06:27 PM
Charlie
Have fun and good shooting, I will be brining two newbies and there 7 month GSP back to ND this weekend. I love the grins that won't quit when first timers get there first bird.

Francis Morin
10-26-2010, 04:42 PM
Great story, and yes I have seen two or three fezzants flush from under the dog's nose almost at once- and when that has occured, they were all hens are we were NOT on a preserve where they are legal- But a "report pair" and those tough angle shots, and two down dead roosters- I'd stand you to a double Bushmills on the rocks for that feat- darn fine dogwork too-

I received my Parker doubles pin last year for a double with my GHE 12 bore on incoming mallards- five came into the dekes, four greenheads and one hen, and using the Cabela's Classic non-tox loads ( no 4's) I shot twice and two greeheads dropped like rocks- that doesn't happen very often, and I have been an avid waterfowl hunter for 55 years and gainin'--

In our area, we have a 60 day duck season- 6 bird bag limit, of which four ducks can be mallards, but only ONE of that four can be a hen (or a black duck)- also we can take 3 wood ducks in that 6 bird limit, and or 2 pintails-
Opening day (Sat 9 Oct) I took a hen pintail, two hen woodies and a pair of greenheads (barely past eclipse coloring) but with a 12 bore M12-

Years ago woodies were protected. Now they are abundant, but here's the "rub"-- I only want to take greenhead mallards, not hens- but if I shoot woodies, I only want to take the hens and spare the colorful males. When I used to tie trout flies we prized both male woodies and tom turkeys for the feathers-

The pintail was the first I have taken in over 20 some years- the last two pintails were taken in MT- I also shot a shoveler on that trip, also a first- and my buddy said the locals called shovelers the "Jimmy Durante duck" because of the big schnoz-- go figure-

Besides the GHE 12 and one of my 12 bore M12's, I also use 12 bore LC Smiths for waterfowling (and pheasant) also with the Cabela's classic doubles shells- Expensive, but taking birds cleanly with any good double gun is as good as it gets (at least for me)--:bigbye: